Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMM 2018 Warmup (NAMMticipation)

Geoff Grace

As most of you know, the 2018 Winter NAMM Show will begin Thursday, January 25th at the Anaheim Convention Center, and run through Sunday, the 28th. This year, I've decided to create three threads: 1) an advance thread for speculation, wish lists, and early product announcements, or "NAMMticipation" as I like to call it, 2) an advance thread for planning: how to get passes, when and where to meet up with other forum members, etc., and 3) the traditional NAMM Reports thread for product announcements, videos, and reports from members on what and who they saw at the Convention Center.

This, of course, is the advance NAMMticipation thread.

Please post any Winter NAMM 2018 speculation, wish lists, and early product announcements here.

As for me, I'm hoping that Native Instruments will announce a Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2 keyboard. It certainly seems like an eventuality, and Winter NAMM would be a great time to take the wraps off.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wish list:

updated controllers:

Kawai - VPC-2, with GF or GF-2 action and Bluetooth

Studiologic - an organ controller, a cross between the Nord Compact 2 and the Nord Organ 2, with decent screen and no inverted keys

Novation - something to replace the SL MkII

Arturia - a Keylab Pro or something to take the high end above the Keylab essential

Crumar/Mojo - a single manual controller utilizing the TP-8O 73 action

updated stage pianos:

Yamaha - update to the CP4 that can match up to the RD-2000

Casio - update to the PX-5S

software:

Apple - Logic Pro XI

Mainstage 4, also available for iPad

Pianoteq for iPad

Wish List:

Roland SuperNatural-based virtual instrument software. Something similar to what Yamaha did with Steinberg Halion Sonic (spring-boarding somewhat from the core Motif library, but instead with SN).

Korg PlugKey 2: Expand slightly on the original PlugKey concept, adding full-size USB A and B ports, plus aux 1/4" L/R inputs.

Behringer OB-Xa derivative instrument. I'd go for the module.

NordAmp, for keys: Take the mixing concept of the Roland KC series, combine it with the design of a high-quality, powered speaker. In keeping with their keyboard design, Clavia would make it compact, fairly light, and red..

Yamaha Montage derivative, designed for performance. No pattern-based stuff, limited Motion-Sound engine (if at all..), streamlined arpeggiator, 4-zone control via USB/MIDI, Advanced AWM engine with 6-OP FM (or Reface 'Pro' engine), practical front-panel controls for stage and Studio, simplified and intuitive design..

Hammond XM-5, with drawbars built-in. A Hammond tabletop is waaaayy overdue..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

This, being December, is my "I don't think I'll go this year" period. It will last until about the first week in January, when I hit my, "OK, maybe, if I have a day off" period. The second week is my "You know, it's usually a pretty good networking day" stage. By week three, right before the conference, I'm solidly in my, "MUST ATTEND NOW!!!!" stage.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

A CP4 with very good internal speakers. It can be modeled after the CP300 - heavy/ beefy build quality - but that's ok as it would be for the office not gigs.

Something along the line of the MP11 that would straddle the category of semi-portable stage piano and home use. An even more weighted/substantial action (like the Kawai) would be an even more welcome addition.

Either a new PX5-S with better piano and organ samples and/or a new CP-4 with String Resonance would make me happy. GAS for the SP-6 may just get to me....but I will hold out till I see what Casio and Yamaha are going to come up with if anything!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

The mystery Korg "game changer/whatever" synth - the one that starts with a P and is 8 English letters long. I probably won't want it but I'm curious as to what it will turn out to be.

A mixer with 3 aux sends, class compliant USB audio with more than 2 I/O channels, not much larger than my Mackie VLZ 1202, can be configured without a computer.

Behringer OB-Xa derivative instrument. I'd go for the module.

Yamaha Montage derivative, designed for performance. No pattern-based stuff, limited Motion-Sound engine (if at all..), streamlined arpeggiator, 4-zone control via USB/MIDI, Advanced AWM engine with 6-OP FM (or Reface 'Pro' engine), practical front-panel controls for stage and Studio, simplified and intuitive design..

These two for me. plus:

(1) A midi patchbay (like the MOTUs) that accepts 5pin midi and USB. So you can patch your synths with less cables. Sure, you can do this from the Mac, but will like to be able to do this without the computer.

(2) A table top korg analog, based on the minilogue with more modulation capabilities.

(3) Roland rethinks their boutique line. I like the concept, but they don't have to be that small, and eliminate those ribbons witch stake away panel space.

(4) iOS Korg Z1

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

My wish list:

updated controllers:

Kawai - VPC-2, with GF or GF-2 action and Bluetooth

Studiologic - an organ controller, a cross between the Nord Compact 2 and the Nord Organ 2, with decent screen and no inverted keys

Novation - something to replace the SL MkII

Arturia - a Keylab Pro or something to take the high end above the Keylab essential

Crumar/Mojo - a single manual controller utilizing the TP-8O 73 action

updated stage pianos:

Yamaha - update to the CP4 that can match up to the RD-2000

Casio - update to the PX-5S

software:

Apple - Logic Pro XI

Mainstage 4, also available for iPad

Pianoteq for iPad

I forgot to add to my controllers wish list:

Roland - an update to the Roland A-Pro series controllers. They were released at NAMM in 2010, 8 years ought to be enough time?

PS - How long are we allowed to edit a post? I did a quick search and found something that said a week, but that appears to not be the case.

1. A Kronos Rack for the sounds without the beast

2. More 8 to 12ch mixers with 4x4 or more USB. The 10ch Allen&Heath Zedi has been the only one forever. EQ on the USB return channels would be very handy.

3. More under 22# semi-weighted 73's with killer sounds/effects and EQ and more than one split.

4. A sturdy feeling 73 key midi controller with semi-weighted keys.

5. All keybeds from now on without that cheap sounding loud flopping noise on both pressing down and lifting up.

2. More 8 to 12ch mixers with 4x4 or more USB. The 10ch Allen&Heath Zedi has been the only one forever.

Not true. Two examples: Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK (14 x 12 USB) and Zoom L-12 (14 x 4 USB)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

(1) A midi patchbay (like the MOTUs) that accepts 5pin midi and USB. So you can patch your synths with less cables. Sure, you can do this from the Mac, but will like to be able to do this without the computer.

iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ does this...but unfortunately only holds one configuration at a time, i.e. no bank of stored patches that you can recall via front panel buttons. To change configurations requires hooking up computer or ipad.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I would love to see a rack mount version of the Ventilator with memory for presets triggered by MIDI, lots of knobs to control the sound, a variety of models, a remote footswitch option that includes speed indicator lights, probably some other tech that I'm not thinking of now.

I'd also like to see a trickle down from the Montage or a new VA from Yamaha.

iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ does this...but unfortunately only holds one configuration at a time, i.e. no bank of stored patches that you can recall via front panel buttons. To change configurations requires hooking up computer or ipad.

Thanks. I remember looking into this in the past for another application, and then forgot about it. It looks like you can connect up to 8 USB devices - interesting. And I can hook it up two computers. Definitely on my list to investigate further.

It will be next to impossible to find this in Brazil, but that's another problem. :laugh:

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

A new Kurzweil workstation to replace my beloved K2661, please...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

I would love to see a rack mount version of the Ventilator with memory for presets triggered by MIDI, lots of knobs to control the sound, a variety of models, a remote footswitch option that includes speed indicator lights, probably some other tech that I'm not thinking of now.

sounds expensive, Eric. Don't know how many they could sell.

:nopity:

I would love to see a rack mount version of the Ventilator with memory for presets triggered by MIDI, lots of knobs to control the sound, a variety of models, a remote footswitch option that includes speed indicator lights, probably some other tech that I'm not thinking of now...

+1

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

sounds expensive, Eric. Don't know how many they could sell.

You're probably right. A rack mount Ventilator Pro with the features I would expect would likely come in around $600-800? I remember paying $695 for a new Dynacord CLS-222 back in the early '90s and felt like that was worth every penny. I'd even be happy for just base Ventilator functionality in a rack for $500 and would pay hundreds more for MIDI, presets, etc. It's not clear how wide of a customer base this would have, but one can hope!

I've mentioned before what I want: a Kurzweil version of the EMU Proteus - their greatest hits library of 2000 sounds in a 1U rack space. No features, thanks. Just the Programs. Then watch them fly off the shelves.

And then take all their superior MIDI controller software and put it in 3 versions: 76 key synth action, 76 key weighted, and 88 key weighted.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

1) Kronos with 76 synth action

2) Hammond SK5 with the new organ engine, add drawbars for lower and pedal

and high quality piano, synth samples.... oh, not to forget: internal powersupply!

3) Roland V-Synth XXL

.... more a wishlist?

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

2. More 8 to 12ch mixers with 4x4 or more USB. The 10ch Allen&Heath Zedi has been the only one forever.

Not true. Two examples: Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK (14 x 12 USB) and Zoom L-12 (14 x 4 USB)

Thanks for that correction, never heard of the Zoom and think I eliminated the Soundcraft when looking a while ago for being bigger and more expensive than I wanted and settled for the A&H. But just looking it up I'm seeing some at $350 now and I need another mixer, so maybe I'll dedicate the A&H for live and put a Soundcraft in the studio.

But I'll still correct my wishlist #2 to: More 8-10ch. compact mixers with rotary faders and 4x4 or more usb.

Archived