Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

good quality 2-tier x-stands a dying breed?

zephonic

I can see the jokes coming ("good quality x-stands? isn't that an oxymoron?" :rimshot: ), but frankly, I have used X-stands all my life and never have had any problems with them until this year.

I had been using a ProLine two-tier stand since 2011 until one of the plastic knobs developed a crack earlier this year. So I bought a Quiklok QL-642, but one of the upper-tier arms came loose last week.

That QL was a disappointment in terms of build quality, anyway; the teeth of the locking wheels didn't line up perfectly, meaning the upper tier was never quite straight or flush. It's odd, because I remember the Quiklok stuff I used back in the day in Europe as being much better.

Most of the two-tier x-stands I looked at have limited (or no) adjustability for the top-tier; as far as I can tell, only the Quikloks have that; unfortunately, that seems to come at the expense of reliability.

Are there any other reliable, fully adjustable, two-tier X-stands I may have overlooked? Thanks.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not an X stand, but I have had very good experience with this:

Standtastic 122 KSB 48" Double-Tier Keyboard Stand with Deluxe Bag

The zipper on the bag got screwed up, and they replaced it for me with no issues.

The space between top and bottom keyboard is locked in from gig to gig and it goes together very quickly.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

Thanks, that looks interesting. I knew about them, but somehow I thought they went out of business a long time ago.

My only concern is the max height of the bottom tier, looks like it would be too low for standing. But maybe I should order one and give it a try.

Not an X stand, but I have had very good experience with this:

Standtastic 122 KSB 48" Double-Tier Keyboard Stand with Deluxe Bag

The zipper on the bag got screwed up, and they replaced it for me with no issues.

The space between top and bottom keyboard is locked in from gig to gig and it goes together very quickly.

I bought 2 of them @ NAMM '95 because I used heavy ass Yamaha, Roland and Oberheim 88 notes.

Mine were both triple.

Now I'm using 2 tier on the full height stand.

Oldest piece of gear in my rigs.

Telescopic and custom angling is engineered really well.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I've been using a Proel SPL252 for at least a dozen years.

Never gave me a problem. Rock solid, quite heavy for an X-stand (about 20 lbs), doesn't wobble even with heavy keyboards and strong playing.

99% as good as my table stand, but lighter and less cumbersome. And better than my Z-stand (wobbles much less).

Only defect, it's not as fashionable.

;)

Most of the two-tier x-stands I looked at have limited (or no) adjustability for the top-tier;

Not sure if this fits your definition of "fully adjustable", but FWIW, this is what I use:

https://on-stage.com/products/view/11982/117159

Works a charm for me, caveat is it won't pair with EVERY x-stand made.

I'm not in the "more weight = better build quality" camp either when it comes to stands (or keyboards for that matter). Thanks to many positive reviews on this very forum I also use a K&M 18880 and that thing is lighter than any X-stand I've ever owned.

I've been using a Quik Lok T-22 for about 10 years. I just bought a second one about two weeks ago. I looked at everything I could find but nothing seemed to be as good or better than the Quik Lok. Quik Lok has great customer service and has sent me free replacement parts several times over the years. I grease all the screw-in tighteners which helps make the parts last longer and operate smoother.

quiklok_t22_1_1.jpg

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

My quicklok upper tier was highly adjustable but the bolt inserts stripped, so I took the highly adjustable upper tier and put it on a proline double braced two tier whose 2nd tier wasn't nearly as adjustable.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Failure point seems to be any mechanism for collapsing the stand such as a pin on spring.

I have a Pro Line that has a pull lever near the tier that you pull to release the pin at the center of the X.

While it still works fine the head of the pin itself "rounded off" which became evident one night when it collapsed.

I ran some duct tape across the top so it can't expand past a certain point (like those straps on the old suitcase stands hotels used to have). I also drilled additional holes in the plate the pin went into and put a carabiner in there in addition to the pin, which I now make sure is pushed fully through each time it's set up.

But yeah, the top tier is not really adjustable in any meaningful way and the teeth don't line up so it's crooked which for someone with my type of OCD doesn't work well.

Still, it got me through many many gigs and that it only cost $100 means it has actually paid for itself (though had the collapse been worse it would have been very bad).

I've been using the QL-642 and it's predecessor since 1997 and have never had an issue. Sorry about your experience, but I haven't found a better two-tier X-stand.

+10, Same story here. Got the K&M 18880 stand hoping it would do for a 3 tier but sent it back pronto, not as stable, strong, or easy to move/setup, and way expensive.

I've been using the QL-642 and it's predecessor since 1997 and have never had an issue. Sorry about your experience, but I haven't found a better two-tier X-stand.

my personal experience is that the Quick Lok stands built in the 20th century in Italy are sturdier than the 21st century stands built in China. As always, YMMV.

:nopity:

my personal experience is that the Quick Lok stands built in the 20th century in Italy are sturdier than the 21st century stands built in China. As always, YMMV.

Did not know that, but like I said in the OP:

That QL was a disappointment in terms of build quality, anyway; the teeth of the locking wheels didn't line up perfectly, meaning the upper tier was never quite straight or flush. It's odd, because I remember the Quiklok stuff I used back in the day in Europe as being much better.

More costly, but I feel I've found an almost-perfect stand in the spider pro. Almost just because the mic boom attachment is iffy, i haven't found a way to keep the boom from taking the adapter off the stand (which then can make the other part fall inside).

I used to use an x-stand for short one-board gigs, and a two-tier Z-stand for regular ones...the spider takes over both. It collapses down with no extra parts into the carry bag.

X-stands should be a dying breed, regardless of how many tiers they have.

I played two fly-in shows this weekend (technically the first was a flyin, the second was a drive to and fly-out). Backline at both places had nothing but x-stands.

First one was really rickety, it had an old loose direct pin mechanism that when i test shook it it started to back out. So i gaff-taped that mother so it couldn't go anywhere. Second night was more a "pro" version that has a spring lever at the top linking to the pin down at the pivot wheel. That was cool except with a smal flyin light keyboard, i need to gaff tape both boards down to the stand or I'll push them off while rockin'.

I still use my old x-stand at home as it will open up to a low sitting height easily. Otherwise i use an Apex for stage now.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• 7 months later...
I can see the jokes coming ("good quality x-stands? isn't that an oxymoron?" :rimshot: ), but frankly, I have used X-stands all my life and never have had any problems with them until this year.

I had been using a ProLine two-tier stand since 2011 until one of the plastic knobs developed a crack earlier this year. So I bought a Quiklok QL-642, but one of the upper-tier arms came loose last week.

Most of the two-tier x-stands I looked at have limited (or no) adjustability for the top-tier; as far as I can tell, only the Quikloks have that; unfortunately, that seems to come at the expense of reliability.

Are there any other reliable, fully adjustable, two-tier X-stands I may have overlooked? Thanks.

Quiklok did send me a replacement 642 under warranty, and this one just came down with the same problem! Gonna have to do this gig with one keyboard, which sucks.

No more Quiklok for me.

My QL-642 has been fine for once, but only after I had someone permanently weld it into the one position I use it in, basically removing adjustment capability. Before that, I was constantly experiencing the striped threads problem.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

I've used an On-Stage single-x stand for many years and it works just fine for me. Then again, my keyboard weighs 10 lbs (4.5 kg), and I play it seated on local gigs. No issues at all, ever.

On my travel gigs I stand and 99.9% of the time I get the big mama Ultimate Support Apex. Just got back from the road, below is an example of the .1%. TBH I didn't think this would work too well, since you have to draw the two sides in quite a lot to raise things to standing height. But it was actually OK. I wouldn't recommend it for an 88 though!

my_rig_hopewell.jpg

Ultimate Support iQ2000 with that memory height thing is my go-to standby. I use a couple of Bespeco compression ends with modified supports that hold up the back end of the upper board while the front is supported by the lower board.

Here for the gear.

X stands have always worked for me, I've never quite understood the bad rap. However, my all-time favorite was my Invisible Stand, I would get one today if they were still being made. Two, even.

Mine was stolen one night during a load-out, long ago.

http://www.mesonline.com/images/working_images/invisible_kb2_mes/kb2_full_01A.jpg

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

About 15 years ago my current band opened up for DanL's band (forum member). I used my 88 key keyboard and Dan's Electro. I remember toward the end of my set my 88 (weighing in at 72 pounds) had slipped off the stand while I was playing the Electro and landed in my lap. A couple of people close to the stage scrambled and help me get my 88 back on the stand. I remember thinking then that this would never have happened with my X-stand.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Ditch the idea of a double tiered X-stand. They just look dumb.

Get an Ultimate Support Apex stand. Much cooler design, clean cable management. Breaks down into a smaller package that is easy to carry. Hands down the sexiest stand on the market.

FWIW I wouldn't trust an Invisible Stand with a backline Casio let alone my own gear. That one is a solution in search of a problem.

The QL-642 is functional but bulky to move around and looks quite daft. I've got one for rehearsals but wouldn't dare take it out in front of an audience.

Ditch the idea of a double tiered X-stand. They just look dumb.
Subjective - although I kind of agree.

Get an Ultimate Support Apex stand. Much cooler design, clean cable management. Breaks down into a smaller package that is easy to carry. Hands down the sexiest stand on the market.
Lots to like about an Apex/AX48. But... not good for pedals.

FWIW I wouldn't trust an Invisible Stand with a backline Casio let alone my own gear. That one is a solution in search of a problem.
Now here's where we part company. You were just dissing X-stands for their looks. Invisible Stands have a great look, in that you can hardly see them. And the "problem" to which they are the "solution" is bringing two boards in close proximity to each other.

Have you ever tried an Invisible Stand? I haven't.

Cheers, Mike.

I have an Apex, it's ok, not great. Ideally, it would be 2" or 3" higher, and able to tilt down the upper tier; that way it would be just right for gigs where I have to stand. When seated you have that column in front of your face, and either way, it's not great with pedals.

I like that it is reasonably compact when disassembled, but when I have to use my cart I can't seem to find a way to put it on there. I guess I could get some bungee cords and secure it to the keyboards, but have not yet figured that one out.

Really, a good-quality QL-642 would be just fine for me, but I guess they don't make those anymore.

Archived