Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Hang in there, brother Joe!!!!!

Dave Bryce

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you who have never been through the experience, I had my first brush with a real-deal hurricane last November here in Vero Beach.

Endless days tracking it. Endless debates with my wife -- stay or go?

We wake up on a Thursday morning, my wife has the TV on, and there's the governor, saying we're All Going To Die. I live on a barrier island.

Actually, our biggest fear was being without power for several days. So we bailed and did the road trip.

The hurricane was on a direct path for my town, but then 50 miles off the coast, decided head north and offshore. Winds, rain, etc. but nothing super destructive. The beach got eroded, but never got out of hand. Lots of destruction up the coast.

Power was off for maybe 24 -36 hours, tops. Good power people where we live.

OK, now what?

We come back, clean up a few thousand dollars of mess, and spring for the ultimate house generator.

And we're staying the next time :)

This one looks like a Rain Monster. Totally different threat ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Stay safe, Joe, and all in the area.

I have two people, one in Houston who was marked safe, and the other in Austin. The one in Austin lives high enough up to not be affected.

They are saying this one could be as destructive as Katrina.

Lets all set intent that they are wrong about that.

:)

So far, downtown Houston (just came from there) and east of Houston aren't bad yet. I have an aunt that lives between Port Oconner and Port Lavaca (close to where the eye landed) literally less than 50' from the water. They packed everything up and got out. Their house is about 12' in the air on stilts, but I'm not sure if that is going to be high enough.

Joe, if you find yourself in a pinch you can come to my house here in Baytown.

For those of you who have never been through the experience, I had my first brush with a real-deal hurricane last November here in Vero Beach.

Endless days tracking it. Endless debates with my wife -- stay or go?

We wake up on a Thursday morning, my wife has the TV on, and there's the governor, saying we're All Going To Die. I live on a barrier island.

Actually, our biggest fear was being without power for several days. So we bailed and did the road trip.

The hurricane was on a direct path for my town, but then 50 miles off the coast, decided head north and offshore. Winds, rain, etc. but nothing super destructive. The beach got eroded, but never got out of hand. Lots of destruction up the coast.

Power was off for maybe 24 -36 hours, tops. Good power people where we live.

OK, now what?

We come back, clean up a few thousand dollars of mess, and spring for the ultimate house generator.

And we're staying the next time :)

This one looks like a Rain Monster. Totally different threat ...

I grew up on Merritt Island, right up the coast from you. If a truly major one hit Vero, or Cocoa Beach...there's no way you would want to stay. Look at the shoreline of MS after Katrina, which was a cat 3 but pushed a surge of a cat 5. Blocks from the ocean there was nothing but the occasional pipe sticking up. If a 20+ ft surge hit directly on a barrier island, there literally might be no foundations even left (also see Camille in '69).

O hai guys! :wave: Thanks for the well wishes. So far, so good for us. Like others have said, the big issue further up the coast here in Houston will be rain. Or could be. It just depends on where everyone's favorite invisible rabbit decides to go. With any luck, it will be a lot of rain but it will continue to drain and not cause too much flooding (some part of Houston will get flooding with lots of rain - it's flat, it's overbuilt, and it will just accumulate somewhere) but hopefully no one will get hurt.

It sucks for Corpus/Freeport/Port Aransas/etc. One of the worst things about these storms is when you get kicked by the winds and then have the rain making it worse.

Thanks Daniel! Hopefully we will be fine and we do have Lori's family in different parts of town (The Woodlands, Kingwood) we could retreat to if necessary, but I hugely appreciate the offer and say same to you!

The anticipation and sitting through Hurricane Ike was much, much worse compared to this so far.

I will try to keep you-all posted, and hope our other Texas coast forumites do as well!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Just adding to the chorus here that I truly wish our fellow forumites well through this storm. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've seen reports that Rockport got hit pretty bad, and it's possible Harvey will do more damage to that area before it's all over.

both of the models are much more aggressive about rainfall totals down the coast, with various forecasts showing 25 to 40 inches of rainfall over Victoria, El Campo, Palacios, and other locations near and around Matagorda Bay over the next five days. Obviously these would create devastating floods for an area that has already coped with damaging winds and storm surge.

https://spacecityweather.com/the-big-question-where-will-harvey-and-its-rains-go/#more-5081

Sucks for those folks. :(

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah, Rockport got it pretty bad (see this channel for other videos from this storm).

[video:youtube]

That big building was a boat storage facility and I'm told it was designed to withstand hurricanes.

Archived