Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gigging without a nord for the first time in years....

fjzingo

Playing a gig on a small Island and was thinking back and forth between my nord stage 2, nord electro4/lead4 combo but then ended up choosing to go with my Montage 61 only. The band is a soulband with some more modern songs like uptown funk, therefore needed some synt sounds etc.

Then I came to realise that I havent played one single electric cover type of gig without at least one nord in my rig since I got my original Nord electro in 2001! Almost feels scary and weird...do I dare not to bring at least my electro.....perhaps I never look back.

Anyone else with similar experience growing addicted to bring one particular kind of board or brand? I guess its similar for all you Kronos players??

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, sometimes have to gig without a Nord. Breaking such a habit since 2001...

This summer i have two gigs in remote islands where i fly-in and probably my Electro 5 will stay home. Organisers will provide some kind of Korg Kronos or similar. Since i know the Korg panel, i guess i won't be having problems to call sounds. But i'll have with me my laptop/Mainstage, so i'll have a backup just in case

I know for sure that i will not have a good time playing all these hammonds and farfisas for sure...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Similar experience here, planning to play a show with my VR-09 and a Leslie 760, covering Grateful Dead material. Same problem: island venue, boat-only access.

I am now having second thoughts and am thinking about bring the CP4, though. And maybe a spinet. Jesus, I'm broken. And I LOVE PLAYING HAMMOND.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Oh, that's easy...

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/e888000008/2DCC696F-FA5B-45B4-BD1F-245E147D2A56.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I had an 18 month period without a Nord in my rig. I got a Lead A1 and solved that problem. Now I have an E5 as well, so I'm using 2 to make up for the lapse in judgement.

I even used only Nords for a recent gig! :)

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/allnords_zpsrxjegtxj.jpg

2 Nords and a Roland:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/echoes%20rig%20nords_zpso7rsihuc.jpg

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Is that Sellersville Theater?

I've played there?

Yes, Sellersville. Nice venue, great people working there. We were sold out.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Anyone else with similar experience growing addicted to bring one particular kind of board or brand?

Yes. I'm running an all-Korg rig at the moment. It wasn't really intentional but it just evolved that way. I find I get along really well with Korg's UI, plus I like the way the things sound. The drawback is I probably have a more limited sound palette to choose from than I could have.

I backlined a Nord once when I had another 'board in the repair shop. It was an Electro 3 I think. Very cool bit of gear but I struggled with it a little. I didn't really have long enough to get my head around the way the UI worked and although it sounded amazing to me when when I was familiarising myself with it in a quiet room, it sounded "strange" to me on stage. Fault of the user, not the instrument, I suspect!

Anyone else with similar experience growing addicted to bring one particular kind of board or brand?

Yes. I'm running an all-Korg rig at the moment. It wasn't really intentional but it just evolved that way. I find I get along really well with Korg's UI, plus I like the way the things sound.

+1

I only gig with Korg gear now... Triton, M3, and Radias. I have several other keyboards and still jam with them at home, but I'm most comfortable with Korg's way of doing things.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I feel the same way except it is not having some type of Yamaha KB in tow.

My current KB rig is a Korg SV-1 and Roland System 8. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

So, did the gig on the montage only without even having a nord electro backup. It faired pretty good, the only things I kind of missed was weighted keys and the nord rhodes sounds. There is something organic about them. I also got the comment that fellow musician preferred the organ sounds onthe montage over the nord stage -interesting....Must say I really liked the live sets for changing sounds, the montage 61 is a great live keyboard.

Archived