Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any reason not to keep keyboards vertical for a time?

Gary75

Today we put our house on the market. At the moment my music room is the 3rd bedroom and at 9ft square, it was a surgical procedure to get what I have in there. Anyway it makes the room look small for viewings and I was going to clear out some of my keyboards to more show room size.

Can I put my keys upright for a time without risk of problems either mechanically or otherwise? I presume the digital unweighted stuff are fine but what about stuff like the Kronos for example?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today we put our house on the market. At the moment my music room is the 3rd bedroom and at 9ft square, it was a surgical procedure to get what I have in there. Anyway it makes the room look small for viewings and I was going to clear out some of my keyboards to more show room size.

Can I put my keys upright for a time without risk of problems either mechanically or otherwise? I presume the digital unweighted stuff are fine but what about stuff like the Kronos for example?

Mine have been stored that way for years

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

might vary by keyboard - I have an older PC88mx and was advised to keep it flat (playing position) most of the time and if stored vertically (i.e. on the side with keys facing "up"), there was potential for damage to the key weights (which were a problem with the pc88 to begin with)

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

The only board I've ever specifically read about having problems from vertical storage was the Korg SV1... and since I haven't seen anything like that about the Kronos (which came later but also uses an RH3 keyboard), I'm thinking that they may have addressed the issue. But this might be a good question to ask over at the korgforums.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I normally store all my boards vertically when not in use. Currently, the SK-2 is in its case, on its back, the MM8 is in its case on its side, the SP200, n-364. and the Evolution controller board are in the office on their sides. The church's XK-3C is also on its side in the case.

Never had an issue. As long as they are placed there carefully and securely, shouldn't be an issue

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Don't do this if you don't have if it is a Kronos 2-88. The same thing happens to a Kawai MP5. But the Kawai always worked itself out right away. The Kronos didn't. My bottom keys were lower than the rest for quite a while eventually they stayed evened out. ( like a month or two)

I haven't had issues with anything else.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My keyboards spend more time vertical than their owner does.

This guy as well:

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/Markyboard/IMG_1568_zpsqjreh43w.jpg

Indeed!

In addition to gigging with my keyboards vertical at certain times in the show, I also have stored them vertically in cases at home for many years with no issues.

The only board I've ever specifically read about having problems from vertical storage was the Korg SV1... and since I haven't seen anything like that about the Kronos (which came later but also uses an RH3 keyboard), I'm thinking that they may have addressed the issue. But this might be a good question to ask over at the korgforums.

I'll go look for more about this, since I see an SV1 in my future.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Don't do this if you don't have if it is a Kronos 2-88. The same thing happens to a Kawai MP5. But the Kawai always worked itself out right away. The Kronos didn't. My bottom keys were lower than the rest for quite a while eventually they stayed evened out. ( like a month or two)

I haven't had issues with anything else.

So maybe the Kronos RH3 does indeed have the same issue as the SV1 RH3.

I guess in general, it's more likely to be an issue with hammer action boards (which depend on gravity to operate properly in the first place).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Objectively the playability on the Kronos wasn't impacted much if at all but the bottom 2-4 white keys were about an 1/8" lower than the rest. But it aggravated the s**** out of me. I would just pull them up even by the lips. Eventually they stopped drooping back down. Too busy gigging to take it to the shop.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I could take some to dads, but to be honest, they are more likely to get damaged removing them from the house. I think i'll upend the clavinet,wurlitzer and m1. The rest i'll leave. Moving and renovating a house to sell, i can't remember when i last spent any time doing music - biggest ballache known to man. The only saving grace is we have agreed on having a ground floor room for me!

My Sy99 which was stored vertical seems to have developed a number of issues with the buttons. Not sure if it was due to the storage.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

The lubrication used in weighted actions can be a potential for problems when a keyboard is stored on its back (keys facing the ceiling) or on end (like they were at Centioli's Music in Philly for those lucky enough to have visited). If the temperature is warm enough to lower the viscosity of the lubricant, when placed back in playing position, the lubricant can seep under the key contacts and cause triggering failures.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

The only issue is if they're stored unplugged, and they rely on an internal battery for patch memory retention, the batteries will drain faster unplugged than if they were left plugged in. But if you're used to changing batteries then it's not really a big deal.

The only issue is if they're stored unplugged, and they rely on an internal battery for patch memory retention, the batteries will drain faster unplugged than if they were left plugged in. But if you're used to changing batteries then it's not really a big deal.

Why do batteries drain faster vertically?

I do have heard issues with leaking of the batteries and when the keyboard is standing vertically, it ruins the circuit board.

Rudy

I do have heard issues with leaking of the batteries and when the keyboard is standing vertically, it ruins the circuit board.

It has nothing to do whether they are stored vertically or not. It has to do that the longer the keyboard is not powered up, the more likely that the battery will drain and you will lose your patches. If they are stored in uncontrolled environment (IE storage unit in extreme heat) the risk of battery leakage is greater.

It has nothing to do whether they are stored vertically or not. It has to do that the longer the keyboard is not powered up, the more likely that the battery will drain and you will lose your patches. If they are stored in uncontrolled environment (IE storage unit in extreme heat) the risk of battery leakage is greater.

Ah, that makes sense:)

Rudy

I'll go look for more about this, since I see an SV1 in my future.

MoI, My SV-1 is the only 'board I have ever owned that I DON'T store vertically, as according to folks on the Korg forums, this has been known to stuff up the RH-3 action, as Scott has indicated here. This may well have been fixed now, but mine is an older model. I've not personally experienced the issue, but I've also not taken the chance.

I've stored my keyboards vertically for years and haven't had a problem.

Yeah, but wait til you go to play them... ;-)

I think I'll keep the Kronos vertical, it's a heavy wood based board like the SV1 and if gravity can foul things up on the SV1 keybed, it can surely have the same impact on the Kronos.

I mean horizontal! Thank the lord I'm not a pilot!

I think I'll keep the Kronos vertical, it's a heavy wood based board like the SV1 and if gravity can foul things up on the SV1 keybed, it can surely have the same impact on the Kronos.

the X73 is a weighed keyboard. The thing is fairly heavy but I am not sure about the insides being ' wood'. Might be particle board. But there is a good chance the keybed is going to shift around storing it vertical.

Anyway, you should be using the 6 cardboard 'shims' inserted between the keybed and front frame. Thats how Korg ships them and there is a reason for that. Its not decorative.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Archived