Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-2000

ElmerJFudd

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't had much play time with the RD-2000 since getting it this week, but here's my initial thoughts -

- Build Quality is unquestionably solid... metal case, faders and buttons are fairly confident if not a tad small, but useful, overall great form and feel. I saw a short video of a guy having keybed quality issues from possible shipping abuse. Maybe that's why I only buy from a company that double boxes keys for shipping.

- PHA50 keybed is another winner in my book. Not much different in feel from the PHA4, but different enough to notice. Very solid!

- The sounds are great, being my first experience with the V-Piano stuff. Love the editing options... something for everyone it seems. Unfortunately, if you hate Roland's pianos in general then I doubt this will change your mind, but if you love them (like me) then it delivers... very pleased.

- The MIDI controller functionality is great... almost too intuitive. A few times I kept thinking there should be more steps to what I was trying to do... very simple.

I'll share more if more play time brings additional thoughts to mind worth mentioning.

~ That guy

I just bought the rd 2000 last Saturday and I'm trying to lock in the changes in the piano sound I'm making by going to edit than write, but it keeps on sending me to the jazz piano, what am I doing wrong if anyone can help.

I just bought the rd 2000 last Saturday and I'm trying to lock in the changes in the piano sound I'm making by going to edit than write, but it keeps on sending me to the jazz piano, what am I doing wrong if anyone can help.

Hey Mike, that is the Program at the top of the Programs list. Just go down to an empty one and save to that, or over-write Jazz Piano if you want. Let me know if you have trouble and I'll make a little video and upload it to YouTube!

Cheers

I have gear. Don't we all? Some is old, some is new. Ask me what I've got and I'll tell you. 

Today I was finally able to play an RD2000 (only very briefly), which was next to an FP80. I actually preferred the feel of the FP80. It's so subjective...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for the video Mac, I found out what I was doing wrong. If anyone is interested I got a great deal at Guitar Center when I traded in my 10 year old roland 700 GX and my 6 year old Nord Ex for the Rd 2000,at the end of the deal I only had to pay 195$ and 133 dollars were taxes . You get ten percent off with a trade in.

Jonathan Cain got his RD2000 and played it, as seen here, at his R&RHOF celebration party to benefit Make-A-Wish Foundation. It replaces his RD800.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/jcrd2000_zpse5rt6ebh.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Jonathan Cain got his RD2000 and played it, as seen here, at his R&RHOF celebration party to benefit Make-A-Wish Foundation. It replaces his RD800.

Did you order yours yet? :)

Awesome product placement this week for a Roland artist - if he's not an active Roland artist, what a missed opportunity! ;) joking.

I wonder if he still gets a thrill to sit at something new after all these years. Maybe so. Most here still do - even if it's just on a showroom floor.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I wonder if he still gets a thrill to sit at something new after all these years. Maybe so. Most here still do - even if it's just on a showroom floor.

He does.

Did you order yours yet? :)

;) no. My FA08 is just fine for my needs.

David

The most disappointing thing this year at a Musik exhibition was the Roland RD-2000 at NAMM 2017.

Roland took the OLD TECH from their previous-previous semi-supernatural RD's and NX's along with the PHA 1, 2, 3, 4 etc and threw in the new -old ?V-Piano? then put some racing strips on the sides to pretend that it is souped up. Souped up? More like re-heated Mulligan Stew.

What I was hoping for was an Integra 88 with an improved keyboard action.

The lineage of the Integra 7 is the Jupter-80 - not re-hashed mulligans!

When you get right down to it pianos are just 88 key drums.

P.S. "Shhh. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits"

Paula White's Hubby. Please send the Man a Bible!

Had a play on one today. Was nice, though nothing special. Many of the same PCM sounds in my RD700. Piano didn't sound that much different, though it was probably the cans the shop used.

Sliders were nice. Overall it was very much a "Roland" stage piano; Big, heavy, decent sounds, though not my cuppa tea.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Don't let them lure you in easily :)

"go thru the tone color evolution of piano sounds when playing live... that's also very cool...nuances that make your piano performance very special, that's also very cool too...you know; awesome... you can do some more modern stuff..." :)

At 47 pounds without internal monitors... no thanks I don't need to throw my back out again :)

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

Paula White's Hubby. Please send the Man a Bible!

In case you haven't heard, Jonathan did release a solo "Christian Rock" Album at the end of last year.

Forgetting any message, the music is quite good. Recorded at his studio in Nashville.

Yes, Paula is his wife. A very nice person to hang with, but privacy means I stop there.

As far as Jonathan, and the "give The Man a Bible,"

His good works for charity began long before he met Paula, and a bit before Journey.

Ever since he survived that horrible fire in Chicago, as a kid, that killed so many of his classmates, he's always been finding ways to pay it back.

David

Some first impressions. The 'MD' pianos (V-technology) are very special. The sound is rich, decay is very natural. You can play extremely soft with a lot of nuance. There is little listener fatigue. These sounds are all about the playing experience, I think. This is apparent when switching to the SN pianos. These are still very good, but more static, your typical sampled piano sounds. Having both flavors makes a very versatile stage piano.

The e-pianos are a bit of a revelation. I never really liked the Roland sound, always found them too produced and unnatural. Having owned several Rhodes pianos and boutique amps and FX, I can honestly say that the RD2000 reproduces these very fatefully. Its all highly authentic. Roland nailed some of the modulation effects (CE1, SDD320). Im basically a Nord user, but these e-pianos are in a different league. They may lack a bit of punch in a loud band (didn't try that yet). Its nice to have the complete set of RD1000 sounds, these sound very authentic, but unfortunately I cant compare as my mks20 has just died.

The action is fast and responsive, although a bit heavy for my taste. User interface is very intuitive. Didn't touch the manual yet ;) I do miss SN bass sounds, these seem to be regular PCM type and not very special. The SN sounds are mainly pianos and organs. So no Integra soundset.

For anyone considering this piano, try to play it yourself as I think the V-piano tech is mainly about the playing experience.

Its nice to have the complete set of RD1000 sounds, these sound very authentic.

The action is fast and responsive, although a bit heavy for my taste. User interface is very intuitive. Didn't touch the manual yet ;)

For anyone considering this piano, try to play it yourself as I think the V-piano tech is mainly about the playing experience.

Well, I still own & use a MK-80 (Roland's previous last & IMHO greatest SA Synthesis Digital Piano), and I can attest that the sounds of the SA synthesis bank of voice are indeed authentic and respond like those of my MK-80, which I still play regularly. The SA synthesis voices sound very good live and have a character all of their own which is much more pleasing to my ears than straight sampled voices. I am seriously finally considering selling my MK-80, although the wooden key action on my MK-80 is still better (and faster) than the action of the 3 RD-2000's that I have played thus far.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Well, I still own & use a MK-80 (Roland's previous last & IMHO greatest SA Synthesis Digital Piano), and I can attest that the sounds of the SA synthesis bank of voice are indeed authentic and respond like those of my MK-80, which I still play regularly. The SA synthesis voices sound very good live and have a character all of their own which is much more pleasing to my ears than straight sampled voices. I am seriously finally considering selling my MK-80, although the wooden key action on my MK-80 is still better (and faster) than the action of the 3 RD-2000's that I have played thus far.

Interesting observation !

I too own a MK80 in great condition (tact switches, key landing felts and some keys replaced) and play it all day.

In fact I have it midied up to my KurzPC361 which sits on it´s flat top.

The MK80´s action is great IMO,- but you´re wrong w/ the keys ... there´s not a single piece of wood in those keys,- it´s all plastic, which I know since we had it apart completely !

The white keys are all hollow and their edges cut the key landing felts sooner or later.

The black keys are massive where they land,- that´s why it makes a different louder noise while playing.

But I don´t care,- the action is heavy but fast and it´s "balanced" not "graded", which I prefer when controlling a multi-keyboard rig incl. modules.

OTOH, the RD2000 is also so much interesting because it is much more a fully fledged masterkeyboard controller than the MK80 w/ only 1 ext. zone is and the RD2000 is multitimbral in addition.

I really hope they nailed the chorus- and phaser FX in the RD2000 ´cause the ones in the MK80 are real analog (the complete FX-board inside is !) and sound good.

I really think about keeping the MK80 for the home studio´s weighted keys MIDI controller and buy the RD-2000 in addition.

A.C.

Thanks Al for the correction! Hmm....Didn't realize that the keys were not wooden, as they play with a certain amount of "heft" and seem so precisely balanced when playing it as well. But mine has never been apart and still functions great. I, too use it as my primary living room piano and home weighted controller because the action is so great! And I also agree with you regarding "balanced" versus "graded" as well.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

But mine has never been apart and still functions great.

The MK80 is an extremely rugged and reliable piece of gear and I wished all the gear would be that build quality today.

The fixes I had to do after ~28 years of intense usage were minor and cheap.

The 5 keys didn´t fail or break,- just only some cosmetic damage of the surface.

I hoped the RD-2000´s action would be on par or even better !

Is it so much different ?

A.C.

Archived