Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Mariah Carey New Year's Eve Debacle

Bif_

I can't believe nobody else has cottoned on to the fact that Ms. Carey has a body double to do rehearsals for her!!

Now THAT'S how you know you've made it!

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not to say Rosenthal isn't taking advantage of all the most recent digital tech to recreate everything from the records with Mainstage, extensive MIDI routing and redundant racked Macs to replace vintage keys and real string and brass players.

...and drummer to click, and rack-mounted pitch-correction for back-up singers (and probably BJ himself), and the helicopter sample on the Vietnam song, and I 1000% guarantee a pre-recorded lead and back-up vocal track for every song to be ridden up in case of mic or personal failure, and possibly even piano tracks for times when Billy's motorcycle accidents break his fingers again, and a host of other hidden assists.

I don't think so... it was obvious from the light show and the performance (and subtle errors that the songs were not clicked or sequenced.... and he did not play Goodnight Saigon... but I am sure that the horn and metal clanking at the beginning of Allentown was pre-recorded, He had three excellent horn players and I heard no fills there.

Soundboard recording of "River of Dreams" from 2006. Clicktrack clear as day, plus some of the backing vox, and likely that conga. (Listen to the difference in presence between the tracked vox and the live backing vox.)

Primary reason for clicktracks, is backing tracks.

This one might not be quite as open and shut as it seems.

[video:youtube]

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I can't believe nobody else has cottoned on to the fact that Ms. Carey has a body double to do rehearsals for her!!

Now THAT'S how you know you've made it!

I think that says it all right there...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Maybe I'm a bit of a Luddite having been out of the business for a few years due to age and health issues - 80 this month - but I agree with El Lobo's point, the more technical it becomes then the more likely it is that things will go wrong. But this is surely what sound checks/rehearsals are for, to determine what action to take if anything does goes wrong. If she chose not to turn up, be it on her own head if she didn't know how to handle a fault gracefully.

Just a side note in other sphere's of showbiz. David letterman did 22 seasons of Late Show - at some point he started winging it and not coming to rehearsal or looking over script or using cards or anything. His staff just dealt with it. The star isn't going to practice if he doesn't feel he needs to and his/her people work around that understanding.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

"Following Mariah Carey's troubled performance on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest, the singer's manager, Stella Bulochnikov, has issued a statement to Billboard.

Carey's headlining set, leading up to midnight, went downhill when she got to Emotions" and We Belong Together," during which she said she could not hear through her in-ear monitors.

"We told them [the stage managers] that the in-ears were not working 10 minutes before the performance," Bulochnikov says. "They then changed the battery pack, and they were still not working on the frequency four minutes before the show. We let them know again, and they just kept counting her down and reassuring her that they will work as soon as they go live, which never happened at which point she pulled them out but could not hear the music over the crowd."

She continues: "After the show, I called [Dick Clark Productions'] Mark Shimmel and I said, 'What the f happened?' He said, 'Let me call you back,' then called me back and confirmed the in-ears were not working and asked if I would make a joint statement. I said, 'No way.' I asked him to cut the West Coast feed. He said he could not do that. I asked him why would they want to run a performance with mechanical glitches unless they just want eyeballs at any expense ... "

This. The IEMs were not working right up until the performance but they went ahead anyway. The technology failed and the people in charge of the technology are responsible for the failure. Then Mariah's manager asked Dick Clark Productions to cut the west coast feed of the failed performance. DCP said they could not do that. That was the second failure, for which DCP is responsible.

Like so many things in this world, if you want to place blame, blame it on incompetence.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I want Stella Bulochnikov to be my manager! :D

Im like, What are you talking about winging it? Are you on glue? Hes like, What do you want me to do? I said, I want you to cut the West Coast feed. He calls me back and says, We cant do it. So Im like, You would prefer to air a show with technical glitches so you can have a viral moment rather than protect the integrity of your show and Dick Clark Productions? He said, We just wont do it. Do you want to do a joint statement? And I said, No, I want you to go f yourself.
:roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If the IEM's werent working just blast the music through the wedges. These "artists" are so precious. Damn, The Beatles put on a hell of a performance at Shea Stadium, sang in key, and they could not hear anything!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

If the IEM's werent working just blast the music through the wedges. These "artists" are so precious. Damn, The Beatles put on a hell of a performance at Shea Stadium, sang in key, and they could not hear anything!
And then they quit touring.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That's the thing I don't get. Why not have a set of backup wedges?

Or at least side fills. She's lip syncing anyways, so all she needed to do was move her lips.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Yeah. The dancers had no problem. She was just a Spoiled Diva that night. The show must go on... shit does happen, and you rise above it.

I have no issues with singers lip syncing these five minute TV soundbites - where they're expected to go from 0 to 100 in a couple of seconds without any warm-up from the band or the pacing of a concert. It's often straight to a full throated hook too - with each song reduced to their essence in under a minute.

She should have participated the walk through though. I think the IEM problem would have been spotted somewhere during rehearsal if she had been there.

No job is too automatic for prep, as I was reminded of the hard way on NYE. As some of you might remember, my club gigs these days are mostly as a DJ. I always put a playlist together for important gigs, but this time I skipped it - saying to myself "I got this down".

One corrupt folder later... at 11:45(!) told me that it probably would have been a good idea to have checked everything out. While the owner and manager were giving out prizes after the countdown, I frantically put together a temp folder so I could limp though the night.

The last hour and a half were so packed that you could barely move in there, with ladies dancing all around me - even though it was not by best effort. At the end of it all, I came away convinced that you can get away with practically anything on NYE.

Unless you are Mariah Carey.

NYE DJs... Grrr. My NYE: "Here is a list of songs we will be playing tonight." .... 5 minutes into the first break .... "You just played my set 2 closer, you son of a bitch!"

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I think the IEM problem would have been spotted somewhere during rehearsal if she had been there.

According to her manager, the IEM problem was spotted early on, they notified the powers-that-be several times, and were assured multiple times that it would be working by showtime.

I've only been a break DJ a few times, and probably because I'm a keyboard player I go out of my way to not step on any toes.

If there's live music involved, my preference is to be in the band ;)

I think the IEM problem would have been spotted somewhere during rehearsal if she had been there.

According to her manager, the IEM problem was spotted early on, they notified the powers-that-be several times, and were assured multiple times that it would be working by showtime.

This seems quite far left of normal. At that level, it seems to me that if an artist's request on a crucial technical difficulty (especially the headliner's) was blown off multiple times by multiple people, blood would be spilt and heads would roll. While I've never swam at that prominent of a pond, I'd expect that generally tech people at that end of the food chain are anal, meticulous and pro.

Now, everyone has a bad day. It's easy to click on the wrong file for playback. And IEM receivers can respond poorly to being dropped.

But Occam's Razor would not seem to suggest malevolent intent to embarrass the artist.

Just my 0.02.

But Occam's Razor would not seem to suggest malevolent intent to embarrass the artist.

Just my 0.02.

That is the one thing in her manager's statements that I disagree with, that DCP was doing this for something that could go viral. It would be more likely they just never got it fixed, passed the buck among their staff, or something like that. Besides, what would DCP get out of it? The name that continually appears is Mariah's, not DCP.

This seems quite far left of normal... I'd expect that generally tech people at that end of the food chain are anal, meticulous and pro.

I concur with Tim's view. The finger-pointing by MC's team seems like damage control, basically. The artist's representatives, the production company, and the tech vendors would be well advised to follow ABC's lead and just STFU. S*** happens--get over it. All this public whining looks worse for everyone concerned than the original sin did, whatever it was or wasn't.

[That is the one thing in her manager's statements that I disagree with, that DCP was doing this for something that could go viral. It would be more likely they just never got it fixed, passed the buck among their staff, or something like that. Besides, what would DCP get out of it? The name that continually appears is Mariah's, not DCP.

With respect to the West Coast feed, I believe the ultimate arbiter of what did or didn't air was ABC (the actual rights holder for the broadcast), and not the production company. DCP did not have the final say about this. The allegation that they chose to re-broadcast the segment is just more spin from the artist's management team.

It seems so dishonest to lip sync a performance.

That's how Soul Train rolled for years....

Ahh yes.... My favorite example is the Spinners.

This is too hilarious!

The 1st offense starts at t=:52

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I love it when Divas (women and men) blame the technical staff for their own unprofessional behavior. These are the same people who work so hard to make the artist look and sound good. Plus that particular team is right at the top. No way that they would intentionally do anything like that.

Next thing you may hear from MC is that the director had it in for her by using camera angles that were unflattering.

Soundboard recording of "River of Dreams" from 2006. Clicktrack clear as day, plus some of the backing vox, and likely that conga. (Listen to the difference in presence between the tracked vox and the live backing vox.)

Primary reason for clicktracks, is backing tracks.

This one might not be quite as open and shut as it seems.

Love the cue tag "liver of screams" :D

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Archived