Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: what if you won the lottery?

J. Dan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Travel, travel, travel. I'm going on 63 and the clock is running. Not saying you can't travel as you get up into your 70s/80s but at that point you're more an observer. Goals: climb Mt Fuji, Kilimanjaro, Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, Galapagos Islands, Antarctica, Africa, Patagonia, Nepal, etc., etc. Explore the planet.

The most easily doable on that list is Mount Fuji, but I would start planning to get it done, if you're serious. I climbed it when I was 32 and it's still the hardest thing I've ever done, physically.

Very cool on making the summit!

Regarding Mt. Fuji, my reading is it's a 4700' climb over 4.7 miles which is right in line with what I do around here in the Cascades (1000 ft over a mile) on a fairly regular basis. Difference being I top out at maybe 7,000 ft while this is 12,000. I hiked 1,100 miles this year and well over 200,000 elevation gain so I'm betting my legs are up to the task but the altitude is of course not to be taken lightly.

Kilimanjaro is something else because of the extreme altitude, but the porters carry everything and it's done over many days. The pace is supposed to be extraordinarily slow. Yeah, that one is a stretch but you could probably glamp your way up given a pot of money. Both Fuji and Kilimanjaro are non-technical climbs which is why they're on my list.

The Inca Trail doesn't look that difficult and the rest are just places to explore and discover. Exit the world with no regrets, see it all.

Busch.

I would hope it would make me a better musician cause I often think how much I would love to win enough to quit my day job and use the time to improve my music and market myself. Although since I'm a slacker at heart maybe it would only allow me to be a better slacker but either way I'd like to think I might win.

I don't have that bug or a soul mate to travel but money probably changes you. Again let's find out; all of us.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Travel, ad naseum :laugh: . Fish a lot more, with plenty of Canadian excursions for trophy pike; plus an exotic fishing trip or two.... Keep my current home, but buy a modest cabin in Montana - to escape the worst of the midwest summer heat / humidity; likewise something similar in the south - to escape the polar plunge around here.

Definitely set up a charitable trust, to meet a variety of needs in our region. Also do something similar to support the arts scene.

I'd revert my home office / mini studio to its original spare bedroom status, then finish the basement. I'd expand the studio there, get a great mixer and high-quality studio monitors. Would also bulk up my DAW rig, create a couple of isolation booths / rooms.... I'd likely look for a vintage grand - Baldwin, Mason & Hamlin, something like that.. Same goes for a Hammond / Leslie combo. Vintage synths ? Definitely a Memorymoog.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I suppose that would be really massive wealth.

First, resign day job. Buy an apartement big enough to a Steinway inside; back to serious practice.

Open in the center of Paris a club/rehearsal/recording studio, including good beer and italian food; create a cultural no-profit entity to manage the place, make a deal with jazz/rock music schools to give a scene to student's groups, finance the first production of independent groups, open up the place as possible.

Come in the US to drink some beers with all of you (the beer part is the one that require massive weath).

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

If I won the big lottery I would look back on all my posts here and find the 10 people who have been nicest to me and buy them whatever they wanted. I would also find the 10 people who have been meanest to me and find where they work and buy that business so they work for me and I would be a really mean boss and stuff. Also I would buy myself a kitten. A black one with white paws and a wittle pink nose.

If I won the big lottery I would look back on all my posts here and find the 10 people who have been nicest to me and buy them whatever they wanted. I would also find the 10 people who have been meanest to me and find where they work and buy that business so they work for me and I would be a really mean boss and stuff. Also I would buy myself a kitten. A black one with white paws and a wittle pink nose.

I thought you did that and did not play the lottery

;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I would buy the company that runs the cafeterias at Microsoft. Then I'd have my employees "update" the cafeteria every few days by moving all the most popular items to new, hard-to-find locations.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

I would buy the company that runs the cafeterias at Microsoft. Then I'd have my employees "update" the cafeteria every few days by moving all the most popular items to new, hard-to-find locations.

:roll::roll::roll:

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

;)

Nah. I was just joking. Except for the kitten. I really do want him. I'd name him Inky.

Travel, travel, travel. I'm going on 63 and the clock is running. Not saying you can't travel as you get up into your 70s/80s but at that point you're more an observer. Goals: climb Mt Fuji, Kilimanjaro, Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, Galapagos Islands, Antarctica, Africa, Patagonia, Nepal, etc., etc. Explore the planet.

The most easily doable on that list is Mount Fuji, but I would start planning to get it done, if you're serious. I climbed it when I was 32 and it's still the hardest thing I've ever done, physically.

Very cool on making the summit!

Regarding Mt. Fuji, my reading is it's a 4700' climb over 4.7 miles which is right in line with what I do around here in the Cascades (1000 ft over a mile) on a fairly regular basis. Difference being I top out at maybe 7,000 ft while this is 12,000. I hiked 1,100 miles this year and well over 200,000 elevation gain so I'm betting my legs are up to the task but the altitude is of course not to be taken lightly.

Kilimanjaro is something else because of the extreme altitude, but the porters carry everything and it's done over many days. The pace is supposed to be extraordinarily slow. Yeah, that one is a stretch but you could probably glamp your way up given a pot of money. Both Fuji and Kilimanjaro are non-technical climbs which is why they're on my list.

The Inca Trail doesn't look that difficult and the rest are just places to explore and discover. Exit the world with no regrets, see it all.

Busch.

Well, #1, I was a typical hotel-living road whore musician back then, and not in the best of shape. Yes, the legs are the first to go, and since it's all legs it got to a snail's pace. Plus I was still a smoker back then. They sell the oxygen cans on each station, with the price going up as you do.

It took much longer than anyone expected. We started out at 9 pm in mid August in shorts & t-shirts expecting to actually sleep for a few hours before sunrise at the top. Ha! Didn't get to the top until 8 am. We had parkas in the backpacks because it was below freezing above the clouds. Made it back down in about half the time, then slept for a week. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/lol.gif

Although since I'm a slacker at heart maybe it would only allow me to be a better slacker but either way I'd like to think I might win.

Be the best slacker you can be!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

;)

Nah. I was just joking. Except for the kitten. I really do want him. I'd name him Inky.

lots of ' shelter ' cats to pick from. We have a 2 cat family and both are from non profit shelters.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Archived