Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: what if you won the lottery?

J. Dan

I say semi OT because I have heard many people on here basically say they are weekend warriors and the day job pays the bills. What if you didn't need a day job to pay the bills? Would it change what you do musically? If so, what would you do?

There are several things I'd do with unlimited resources.

1) I'd set up a local artist community. I envision it as very inexpensive rental and storage/rehearsal space with rental equipment. Also, sort of almost a mall scenario with a collection of businesses that do sound stage, video recording, studio recording, etc. Think of it as giving back to he community, but having a complex of music related businesses, artists and resources. The challenge would be not to provide free resources that hurt the local businesses. But the goal would be to foster a community that supports music.

2) I'd probably return to being a BL and do a theme band with large scale production on weekends.

3). I'd build a studio

4). I would design, build, and sell music related products from synthesizers to guitar amps.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I say semi OT because I have heard many people on here basically say they are weekend warriors and the day job pays the bills. What if you didn't need a day job to pay the bills? Would it change what you do musically? If so, what would you do?

I don't need much musically. Maybe buy a Steinway.

After that, would hire a good tax CPA to shield the tax bite.

Since people will harass for a handout, would need some kind of firm to channel

all the requests for 1-2 yrs. Likely that is $50,000 per year.

Set up trust funds for:

1) Promote education/literacy and college/advanced learning for disadvantaged children in our local area

2) To support local starving artists so they can promote their work

3) Support local non profit animal shelters/pet adoption groups

4) Hire a cleanup crew to keep on top of unsightly litter/junk on local roads.

Work with county agencies to improve appearance and enact legislation for

prevention and improvement of the roadways

Thats it. That would keep me busy for quite a while. Hopefully, I would not have to move

for security reasons.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I'd likely buy a bit bigger house that would let me have my own room...right now I have a "man corner". Said house would also have some kind of game/crafts room for my kids.

The actual "man cave" would ideally be better acoustically than a square room, ie a studio. Not sure I'd go so far as a separate recording space, or sound isolation, but perhaps...

I'd certainly quit the day job and start playing full-time with my band. I'd beef up my live rig, probably with a nord stage 2 or kronos.

I might get a boat :) Always wanted one, despite all the warnings from people that have them, especially here since I'd be using it in salt water (engine killer). More practically I could just do a lot of charter fishing with an expert who owns a boat...

I like all GregC's non-selfish suggestions!

This is probably worse than the boat one, but every time I'm in some bar or club playing I think "It would be fun to build a club designed around music." By that I mean, a big nice stage in central spot; easy load-in/out; acoustics that don't sound like a cave...all things that generally aren't the case in clubs. I would definitely want to be set financially though :) I've seen a few nice clubs just go under because for whatever reason they couldn't draw people. I think it's as much art and luck as a science.

I would buy a couple of hundred acres (or more) in the middle of a forest, and build a campground with an outdoor amphitheater and an indoor concert venue and several large rehearsal spaces. Then I would build a brewery, a couple of stills, buy a bunch of bears, and plant a whole lot of marijuana.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I'

I

This is probably worse than the boat one, but every time I'm in some bar or club playing I think "It would be fun to build a club designed around music." By that I mean, a big nice stage in central spot; easy load-in/out; acoustics that don't sound like a cave...all things that generally aren't the case in clubs. I would definitely want to be set financially though :) I've seen a few nice clubs just go under because for whatever reason they couldn't draw people. I think it's as much art and luck as a science.

I like your club idea. Provide a venue for struggling artists , to work out their 'product', promote it. Not only performance music, but painting/sculpture.

The club would also have an art gallery. Give artists a chance to sell their product.

Think the best environment for creativity with a capitalistic/business angle to fund the artist.

[70's Songwriter]

Addressing just the musical aspects of sudden massive wealth, I would build a club downtown with a great sound system, nice piano, Hammond and Leslie, Rhodes, clavi and would lose crazy amounts of money bringing in my favorite acts. I'd hire some top local talent for the house band that I would play with one night a week. A luxury apartment upstairs (lots of soundproofing!), private indoor parking and a rooftop patio and garden.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I'd give it all to the poor.......poor large-breasted women.
Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

I would build a club
I would indeed need massive wealth to do this. There is a saying in the restaurant (bar) business. How do you end up with a million dollars in this business? Start off with 2. :w00t::laugh:

No kidding. No illusions (or delusions) about making money. Just a really expensive hobby-business.

This would be only if I won powerball-level money.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I'd split it all among you folks here on this forum that have bought me a beer.

Really! :cheers:

that sounds like 3572 splits

What if I buy you 2 beers ? ;)

[70's Songwriter]

I'd get out of Dodge for sure. Build a retirement house with a nice big piano room. Raise and train dogs. Take care of my family and friends. Probably keep gigging but on a more limited basis.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Actually wouldn't change most of what I'm doing right now - not that I'm rich. But my lifestyle would probably be close to the same - get up , run 6-7 miles with my pup. Or the occasional mountain bike. Have breakfast, then go practice.

I'd definitely build a bigger piano/performance room. It would be large enough to host home concerts for myself and friends. Stick a nice L' Acoustics sound system and a DiGiCO console in there , along with a 24 channel IZ Radar system for live recording.

I'd have a nice mic locker - vintage and new - Nuemann 47 and 49 , Telefunken 251, some Fleas, Schoeps, DPAs etc.

I'd make a trip to the Steinway factory/showroom in Hamburg, Germany and select a Hamburg D to go along with my current piano. I might grab a model C for the house while I'm at it. Can never have too many Steinways . :thu:

I'd buy selected friends ( even jazz artists I don't know who might not be in the position to own a nice piano ) who I think have paid their dues and are deserving, any instrument they desire. Steinway, Bosendorfer, Fazioli, Yamaha.

We'd stay in our current home because we love it and the neighborhood. But for sure get a place outside of LA - either in the Ventura/Santa Barbara area or up the Central Coast in Pacific Grove, or get some land in Carmel Valley. Or all three. :D I'd also get a place somewhere outside NYC, maybe 60-90 minutes with some land, so I could hang in the jazz scene there when I felt like it.

Instead of beers for everyone in the house , I'd make that a pair of L' Acoustics 108Ps for everyone at KC with at least a 1000 posts. :thu::cheers:

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Travel, travel, travel. I'm going on 63 and the clock is running. Not saying you can't travel as you get up into your 70s/80s but at that point you're more an observer. Goals: climb Mt Fuji, Kilimanjaro, Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, Galapagos Islands, Antarctica, Africa, Patagonia, Nepal, etc., etc. Explore the planet.

Look into charity that works intelligently, e.g. Gates Foundation. Also inner city.

Buy new digs with a great view and lots of land. Build a very complete personal library. Musically not much: decent home studio, maybe a nice piano and a few other collectable pieces. Last thing I would do is buy a club and deal with those headaches.

Busch.

Well, I'd move somewhere warm (maybe do a snow-bird type thing, I do love it here on Long Island during the warm half of the year, I just would like to continue to enjoy that beach-bum lifestyle the rest of the year somewhere). But musically what I'd do after quitting my day job, is basically do a full-court press to try to find more and better band gigs, probably involving travel and touring, that I was never able to pursue while always having to stay anchored near my day job for all these decades.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

assuming we're talking a massive jackpot, I'd buy and restore this place:

[video:youtube]

Duke Ellington played here, so you know it's been blessed by a god!

The lower floor (and basement?) would be my home, while the 2nd-floor ballroom would....be for whatever I felt like doing.

Look into charity that works intelligently, e.g. Gates Foundation. Also inner city..

Definitely would like to play a huge role in helping the homeless , particularly here in LA.

We would be huge sponsors of the ASPCA as well. Or maybe even start our own program similar to what Tony La Russa has done.

https://www.arflife.org

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Travel, travel, travel. I'm going on 63 and the clock is running. Not saying you can't travel as you get up into your 70s/80s but at that point you're more an observer. Goals: climb Mt Fuji, Kilimanjaro, Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, Galapagos Islands, Antarctica, Africa, Patagonia, Nepal, etc., etc. Explore the planet.

The most easily doable on that list is Mount Fuji, but I would start planning to get it done, if you're serious. I climbed it when I was 32 and it's still the hardest thing I've ever done, physically.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I've always said I would buy 1,000 acres and adopt 1,000 dogs. It still sounds good. Although, I'd have to hire someone to take care of them - I'd be traveling a lot of the time.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I've thought about this, I think most working stiffs do.

I'd toss the maximum allowed into tax sheltered investments to make sure my wife and kids are good for the rest of their lives. Get some super sharp accountant to get me all those Donald Trump/Mark Cuban/Warren Buffet fully legal but ethically questionable tax breaks.

Then I'd pay off my own and all my immediate family's mortgages and loans so they can get "the man" off their back and spend time with their families and loved ones instead of what we all do now. Setup all the college funds etc.

Pick my charities wisely.

Then, for me... a beautiful world class 9' acoustic grand, take lessons with the best of the best in all the styles I love. I'd like to open up a music shop and performance space for local talent. Maybe a bar and bistro across the street. And travel. That hammock above is looking GOOD right there! And I'd also steal the idea of a few acre property in the country and have a few dogs.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Archived