Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Aretha Performing the National Anthem

HammondDave

An epic performance featuring Hammond, piano, and a lot of soul... and it inspired a new stat:

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/hammonddave/IMG_0108_zpszxaetnki.jpg

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aretha's got some piano chops! Pretty neat seeing that B3 and Leslie on that small stage in the middle of Ford Field! Go Lions!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

She is self taught. I will say I doubt it was rehearsed. If you watch the organ player he was kind of waiting to see what she did. It was cool seeing that Leslie.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Major news outlets have been talking about that performance.

Like Frank's Red Hot Sauce, the Queen of Soul put that Gospel stank on the National Anthem. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Not generally a fan of over-wrought interpretations of the national anthem, but she's Aretha F***ing Franklin and she can do whatever she wants.

Love the gospel church-sounding combination of piano plus Hammond/Leslie.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

True story:

A few years back my band played a cocktail hour for the megabuck seat holders at her concert at the State Theatre in New Brunswick, NJ. We were in the hotel dining room across the street. After our set they asked us to stay a half hour over so the guests could all be seated. We were standing on the sidewalk during a 5 minute break when the side door of the hotel opened and 3 big dudes walked out and took places around the doorway. A Caddy limo pulled up and Aretha got in as well as the dudes. The car drove down the block, U-turned, and came up to the stage door of the theatre. Dudes got out as before, and she then walked calmly inside.............

Why walk 50' when you can ride?

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

^^^^ This is great.

The famous Aretha clip from the 1998 Grammys. Pavarotti got sick and pulled out of performing 22 minutes before his slot. Aretha stepped in. No rehearsal, no key changes, just this gem of a performance that has become Grammy legend:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6WW6TXPdPw

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I am never in favor of mangling the national anthem. I consider it disrespectful. But, being a huge Aretha Franklin fan I was prepared to give her a pass just because "she's Aretha F***ing Franklin." But having listened to it on YT it's pretty much a hack job. I think if she wasn't AFF, she would have been arrested. Not her best work IMO.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

No but like I said probably not rehearsed, not that it's an excuse but it's obvious so those of us musician types can read between the line.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived