Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Praise band "perils and pitfalls"

It's been nearly two years since our original worship leader at church "retired." He had been leading our praise band for over 10 years and assembled a decent group of musicians. Naturally some folks came and left over the years, but we were happy with most things while he was leading.

At the present time, however, we're still stumbling along a bit. As there was nobody to completely fill the shoes of our "outgoing" praise band leader, a few of the remaining musicians were asked to help out. While I don't play and sing, I've selected songs for a particular Sunday and chosen the musicians I'd like to work with--including "importing" a few from the outside. There are also two other folks who have helped with the lead role. Sad to say, one of those leaders appears to rely heavily on his wife's choice for songs--most unfortunate--which are often sleepy and/or of a "campfire-style" nature. Additionally, they are both amateur guitar players at best. The other leader is a bit more charismatic, but isn't available on a regular basis.

Then last spring, a musician friend of mine started attending the church with his wife. He joined the band in the summer and then began leading on a few Sunday mornings. I was ecstatic, as his song selection and experience as a praise band leader are top notch. We were suddenly back on track.

Unfortunately, he has been experiencing a few health problems of late and decided to step down for awhile. I'm concerned for his health and really not excited about going backwards. We just don't have a lot of talented guitar players (or drummers) at the church, and it's been difficult to nail down people from the outside who are willing to help.

:(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I play on several worship teams and unfortunately see the scenario you describe play out every few years.

The fundamental problem is that being a good worship leader is a difficult job that requires a wide variety of skills that are seldom present in one person. The good ones get the job and learn how to quickly fill in their missing skills, such as navigating the church politics.

Then there is the fact that WLs have to put up with so much negative crap, well-intended or not, from people with absolutely no clue.

All I can say is that brother, I feel your pain. You'll have to look for reasons other than the music to stay motivated.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

It sounds like you understand your situation pretty well. That's half the battle.

You don't describe whether the existing band is 3-piece or 13-piece, but in either case, it's probably okay to downsize the vision temporarily. A piano player, who "adequately" sings while the congregation sings along from the lyrics on the wall, can be as effective as (and often more intimate than) a big tight band with excellent backup vocalists.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

There are also two other folks who have helped with the lead role. Sad to say, one of those leaders appears to rely heavily on his wife's choice for songs--most unfortunate--which are often sleepy and/or of a "campfire-style" nature. Additionally, they are both amateur guitar players at best.

If that's a consensus opinion, you can have someone else pick the songs for the service - even outside the group. It's not out of bounds.

The first praise band I was in had a leader who did everything. When she left, a lot of her duties fell onto me. I was new to this and didn't know the music well, so the song selection was initially done by the pastor's wife. Although she wasn't on the team, she knew this stuff inside and out. She did so well with it that the job just kind of stuck.

I was free to substitute and arrange the songs, but most of the time her list was the template for the service. If there was a song in there that I didn't know, I'd have to learn it - so it kind of pushed me in a positive way. Others would have to do the same or sit out that song, but as the keyboard player my presence was pretty much required (kind of works that way with praise bands).

Don't know if that helps or not, but thought I'd throw it out there...

Having led worship ministries in the past (for over 20 years), I sadly find I can contribute very little to this conversation.

FWIW - I think worship ministries, like any purpose-built team, benefits from strong leadership. Apart from deliberate, thoughtful leadership, your team might eventually get a little better, have a season of improvement - or the reverse. But forward progress will be sporadic and occasional.

I found in my anecdotal experience that worship teams greatly benefit from uniting around the single purpose of why they are leading worship. In other words, the non-musical, explicit and theological purposes of worship, plainly stated without unnecessary sermonizing and seminary vocabulary.

Setting everyone's expectations and asking them to sign up for that mission (external to the music) helps put the tasks at hand within a healthier perspective - what you're actually seeking to accomplish on behalf of the larger organization - your local church.

This helps leadership have the bigger conversation about musical excellence, leveraging skills and talents, practicing at home to give your very best on Sunday, etc.

Perhaps more importantly, it can also provide context for the topics of song selection, what are you trying to "do" or accomplish with the sequence of songs in a liturgy, where are you leading the congregation (because indeed, the worship team is placed in the role of leading the congregation), etc.

It also helps to at least start a kind and gracious dialogue about genre, instrumentation, etc.

I can't sing for the life of me. I found that initially, some folks were used to the idea of a worship leader also being the primary vocalist. But that's an expectation brought from somewhere other than church. Worship ministry can be really effective with a non-singing leader - but I'm not sure how effective any ministry is going to be without effective leadership.

Just my 0.02.

Tim

You don't describe whether the existing band is 3-piece or 13-piece

It's never the same from week to week, but often it's just a leader singing and playing guitar or piano, extra vocalist or two, and me. Drums have been sparse for the last month or so. The couple who play the guitar (with the wife seemingly choosing most of the songs) could use lessons. From time to time they will say, "I don't know that chord," and they often stumble with timing and song introductions.

you can have someone else pick the songs for the service - even outside the group.

I think that would be considered an insult by the people leading/currently choosing the songs. Basically, this is the first time I've played in a worship band with folks who aren't "ready for prime time." I think people should be more prepared for leading something as important as praise/worship on a Sunday morning.

Another snag is with one of the guitarists who occasionally has issues when micing his guitar. When I suggested he get a pickup, his response was, "That would cost about $100." Um, hello? I'm not asking you to go buy a Martin guitar... just a pickup. Everyone else has invested a good amount of money in their instruments.

Let's go, here. :pop:

I'm not sure how effective any ministry is going to be without effective leadership.

That's one of the biggest issues right there. I'm not sure the current leaders really want to be leaders. I don't see a lot of long-term commitment.

I've never been in a praise band, but from the descriptions I've seen here, it sounds a lot like being in a ... Band.

LOL. It's a band with complications.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

I've never been in a praise band, but from the descriptions I've seen here, it sounds a lot like being in a ... Band.

:laugh: The leader I mentioned above whose shoes I had to fill when she suddenly quit? At the time I naively believed her when she said it was because she was getting burned out and needed more time to herself. Years later I found out that it was over the usual stuff we deal with in bar bands.

I've avoided playing at my church for a lot of the reasons discussed. I've heard stories about feuding entities and when I've gone to the contemporary service, it usually makes me cringe. I don't want to end up hating church, so I go to the traditional service and stay out of it. I HAVE played at OTHER peoples churches.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Two weeks ago I thought about starting this same thread. I decided that complaining about people who volunteer their time and talent wasn't very fair. However sometimes I just need to complain.

At my church I've been playing with pros who challenge me and make me a better player. Then about six weeks ago our drummer dropped his motor cycle on his leg, our pianist had knee surgery and our guitarist took some time off. The replacements have been very disappointing. I ended up starting and leading every song and trying my best to make it all work. I covered piano parts, Guitar parts and even worked in some percussion since the replacement drummer couldn't keep time. Well now looking back, I guess these "less than pros" make me a better player too. ~BOB

I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

I guess these "less than pros" make me a better player too.

I'm not expecting professional musicians, but at other churches, I have been fortunate enough to play with musicians with a more professional attitude. While the lady who leads and sings from the piano is not available often, she has a much better attitude overall and chooses a wider variety of songs versus our other leader.

Last year, our pastor scheduled a worship seminar that would have been extremely valuable for all of us, however, the person in charge of leading that event had to cancel. Sadly, the seminar was never rescheduled.

This is a case of "it's broke, please how can we fix it?" :(

Welcome to the forum, brooster1.

Excellent first post.

In full agreement (though I'm likely the weakest musician in our church praise band).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I suggest that first, have the pastor/leadership publicly endorse you as the worship leader (assuming you want that responsibility), or ask them to assist in finding a worship leader if you don't want the role. Then, ask them what they expect of the worship group. Once those two things are in place, the worship leader can "lead", make decisions on who plays, what is expected for members etc. For example, many worship bands expect the players to learn their parts away from the rehearsal period, and come to rehearse the songs and set as a group. As to the level of expertise, arrange the songs within the limits of the group, but encourage them to learn more, and keep looking for "better" players.

Also, ask the leadership to ask for more members during services and in newsletters, etc. Some people don't volunteer to play because they think they need to be invited, or other reasons.

Communication is a key piece for all of this, you write that letting outsiders pick the songs might offend those who do the choosing right now, don't guess, ask them if it is so, they might be happy to share that burden. Communicating the church's vision for the church, and the worship group is important, communication expectations for each group member is important. I once chose not to play in a worship group because their perspective on the role of the group and the music preferred was very different from mine. In recognizing that they were the leaders, not me, I chose not to cause any problems and took a different role.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

The conflicts sound all too familiar. Our parish just hired a new music director after we coasted with a leader who picked tunes and handled scheduling on top a day job and other church-related responsibilities. The current MD is well-aligned with the pastor's vision, but some conflicts occasionally spring up with the old ways of doing things. (The pastor is relatively new, too.)

Overall, I'm glad that I'm "just a follower." Put the chart in front of me and I'll do my best. Sure, I have favorite and despised tunes, but it's a privilege and responsibility to play. The tunes I dislike might be someone else's favorite. And the _congregation_ comes first. (Ministry = Service)

I try to support the leadership and to encourage the rest of the team members as much as possible. At the very least, we all have that little voice inside that criticizes us, etc. and we all need support and encouragement.

Finally, if it stops being fun, then maybe it's time for a sabbatical. Better to take a break than burn out.

All the best -- pj

It sounds very stressful; why not just play in a regular band Saturday night, and then attend a church on Sunday which rightly focuses on the preaching more than the music?

Respectfully, not trying to sound cute, but it is an option; worked well for the New Testament churches, just sayin'.

Over 50 years of regular church attendance and an active 3-5 gigs a month classic rock band keys player leads me to say:

It has always seemed to me that most the congretation who are that extremely into the Sunday morning kick butt praise music scene are just poser wanabees who would rather go out Saturday night instead to hear the real rock music if they could get away with it.

I have done quite a bit of Worship service and recognize the difficulties discussed here. For me it has always been best to not be a part of leadership, but to remain simply a volunteer willing to serve as needed. If I can be a positive resource able to contribute something, great.

This approach keeps me out of the body politic and the stresses associated with it. Afterall, that is what a Worship Leader is paid for.

I just make sure Leadership knows I am available, humble, flexible, and willing to serve as needed. Then, when called upon, I show up at rehearsal thoroughly prepared.....patches ready, arrangements down, intros, outros, ambient stuff for prayer....that's where I put the effort.

It has always seemed to me that most the congregation who are that extremely into the Sunday morning kick butt praise music scene are just poser wanabees who would rather go out Saturday night instead to hear the real rock music if they could get away with it.

You might say the same thing for some of the band members ;)

At one of the churches I attended and played at, some people really like the music, others did not. The Pastor and worship leader came up with a compromise. 15-20 minutes before service was supposed to start, the band would play whatever worship songs they chose, usually in an upbeat, dare I say rocking (it's possible, no really) way. The last song before service would be a bit more likely to please everybody, and that is when the non-music lovers would show up, in order to hear the sermon.

As a player, I found it to be a great compromise, especially because we had some really talented players with a wide variety of instruments, and often more than 6 vocalists, so we could change the arrangements, etc of a lot of bland, formulaic contemporary P&W songs and play them in a more musically adventurous way.

In the worship group I left, I once asked the question "Is this a worship band, or a tribute band?" Since the leaders had a different opinion on the role of music as part of the service, I knew that my attitude was not compatible. No problem, I took on another role, but I'm glad that I asked that question, and received an honest answer, it worked out better for everyone.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

It sounds very stressful; why not just play in a regular band Saturday night, and then attend a church on Sunday which rightly focuses on the preaching more than the music?

Respectfully, not trying to sound cute, but it is an option; worked well for the New Testament churches, just sayin'.

Over 50 years of regular church attendance and an active 3-5 gigs a month classic rock band keys player leads me to say:

It has always seemed to me that most the congretation who are that extremely into the Sunday morning kick butt praise music scene are just poser wanabees who would rather go out Saturday night instead to hear the real rock music if they could get away with it.

My wife has "hinted" she'd love me to play in the PW band at our church for quite awhile. her friend is married to the leader (BL). BL even talked to me about auditioning, what he expects, etc etc. but I don't really like the music much, message aside i don't like the music or maybe its his rendition of it (as i don't listen to christian stations and don't know any of it). Its a dull repetitive droning guitar work with heavy delay, he plays AG every song and sings almost every song. When he does have keys they are invariably holding ethereal chords almost entirely.

I don't want to get half-way in, not feel it, and cause a disruption with my wife/church relationship. I just sidestep the hints and play obnoxious rock like i grew up on on weekend nights, exactly as you recommend.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

"perils and pitfalls" In the last nine years, I've played at two churches. Two years playing duet traditional hymns on a concert grand with an organist and seven years playing a mix of contemporary and traditional hymns on a Kurzweil with a band. In my limited experience the perils have always been leadership issues. Everything else can be worked on, but poor leadership will make all the work impossible. Like what was said earlier in this thread,
~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

I just make sure Leadership knows I am available, humble, flexible, and willing to serve as needed. Then, when called upon, I show up at rehearsal thoroughly prepared.....patches ready, arrangements down, intros, outros, ambient stuff for prayer....that's where I put the effort.

Dude.... Move to Indy and be on my worship team!

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Have to say that I disagree with most of what you've written.

... why not just play in a regular band Saturday night, and then attend a church on Sunday which rightly focuses on the preaching more than the music?

So, you're saying that a message is delivered more effectively by speaking than by music? Never thought I'd get this from someone in a musician's forum.

Do you hear how extremely judgmental this sounds?. How do you know what's in the hearts and minds of these "poser wanabees"?

The "if they could get away wih it" part makes it sound like there is something wrong about rocking out on Saturday night. Perhaps you could explain this to the forum.

Dude.... Move to Indy and be on my worship team!

It would be better if you moved to San Diego.....better beaches!

We are blessed with an astonishing salaried worship leader who also leads the traditional service. He's way better than me on keys, so I play bass. One of our three singers is a really gifted guitar player. We have been playing together for eight years, have a large repertoire and typically break in one new song every Sunday. Our sound system is all Bose and we play through the house so there's no time wasted trying to get a good mix.It's great to come to practice with the music all selected and everybody on the same page. Major challenges have been: (1) When we first began a number of parishioners viewed us as playing "the devil's music." They left, but there are still a number of folks who keep urging us to turn down. (2) We've had a difficult time attracting and keeping drummers. One of our goals was to involve younger church members and visitors in the service. Unfortunately, they didn't have the chops or the inclination, so we are left with a bunch of grizzled rock veterans in our 60s and 70s. Oh well.

MurMan, I know what's going on in their hearts and minds by talking to them many times. I didn't make it up, so don't judge me either.

Fair enough. I won't.