Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The recent talk about expression pedals ...

Tusker

... is prompting me to ask. What is the optimum number for you and to what degree do you integrate functions across sound-sources (one pedal affecting multiple sound sources). Are you ambidextrous with pedals or do you have a foot preference?

For me, the number has climbed to four: one controlling a rompler and mainstage, one controlling mainstage only, one controlling a VCF and one controlling a VCA.

Hmmh .... :(

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO .... The only major oversight on the Kronos is the lack of a 2nd CV pedal input. I like to leave one set to volume all the time, then set the 2nd to a filter, mod, pitch, LFO rate, etc........ based on what the synth allows and what I want to do. There are MIDI workarounds.

The most that fit on my board is 4. I went to using Moog EP-3s because I could fit more pedals on my board. Right now I'm using 3. One FC7,a EP-3 and Hammond.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

David Sancious said the same thing in the last KB Mag interview I saw with him - that he's using the Kronos rather than the KX88 he used to - and that he's used to multiple pedals and can't do on the Kronos.

to answer JerryA's question, for my current 3-keyboard rig (CP4, Kronos, Wave), I only use one expression pedal - on the Kronos (as well as sustain).

Sustain pedal on the CP4, no pedals on the Wave.

An expression pedal (volume/dynamics) and foot switch (rotary speaker speed) are essential for what I play. The biggest challenge now is learning how to dance on an IK BlueTurn in order to flip score pages on iPad.

-- pj

I run 5 foot pedals: Sustain and expression for each of my two boards and then a Leslie speed switch that I place next to my Hammond expression pedal. I'm a classically trained organist so I'm pretty good with my feet!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I am kind of boring... An Expression pedal on the right for my Mojo, a sustain pedal in the center for my AP and EP sounds (Korg Module), and a Bruce Whaler custom Leslie speed switch on the far left.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

4 pedals - both expressions on right foot and both sustains on left foot. Sustain & expression for both Nord & Mainstage (Novation). I'm cutting the Mainstage expression pedal because a) I only use it for 3 songs and I can find a way around it and b) I bought a Launchkey to replace my ailing SLmkII and didn't realize there's no expression pedal input on the Launchkey series. Oops.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

One.

I have 2 feet, and have to stand on one. (I play standing).

While not necessarily easy in the Kronos, I can assign the 1 pedal to whatever I need it to be assigned to at any given time. It requires planning and set up ahead of time.

My rig is a lower tier controller and Kronos on top, so all the sounds come from the Kronos. That helps make the single swell pedal possible. I have 2 sustain pedals (one for each tier). Karma re-maps my swell if I need to affect a sound played on the lower tier. I globally have it assigned to the "foot pedal" controller so that it automatically works as expected on any organ patches and by default does nothing on any other patches. That makes it easy to assign it to whatever I need it to be - volume, filter, release time, etc...on a "per patch" basis.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

no pedals on the Wave.

Sorry Tim, I am drawing a blank. Are you gigging this?

http://www.monstrummedia.com/images/waldorfWave.png

:pop:

OK. I got it. Nice rig! This, correct? :)

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/default/files/files/products/nord-wave/images/nordwave-models.jpg

I have 4, from left to right, footswitch for Ventilator, expression pedal for FA08, sustain for FA08 (that can also control sustain on the SK1 depending on the patch on the SK)and expression pedal for the SK1.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/RigPedals_zpstypbksxe.jpg

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

1 switch 1 sustain 3 expression.

Physis K4 128 performances, 4 scenes.

Each scene can change assignments.

B3 upper C3 vibrato can be assigned to sustain or horn swells/falls, etc.

I prefer big beefy samples so just a Master MIDI Controller is best for multi part performing.

Physic K4 is a dream if you have to cover guitars strings winds electro mechanical horns...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

For the 2 bands that I'm in, I use either a 2-board or a 3-board rig.

The simple 2-board rig (country band), pedals right to left:

- damper for main ROMpler (piano)

- expression for upper board (organ)

- leslie switch for upper board

For the prog band, things get a little more complicated: 3-board rig (a lead synth added, to the right, in an L-shape), pedals right to left:

- hold (or damper) for lead synth

- volume for lead synth

- damper for ROMpler

- expression for upper (organ) board

- leslie switch for upper board

- hold (or damper) for upper board - when not doing organ sounds

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I use an expression, a sustain, and a Vent II footswitch. I control the expression with my left foot.....may be the only person on earth who does that.

I play organ and piano at the same time so I use my right foot for the piano sustain and left foot for the organ expression. I think this is pretty common.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I like damper pedals AND volume pedals on the right, aux CCs and switches on the left, leslie speed on the left (no half-moons for this boy).

Shouldn't the word be "ambipedalous"?

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Playing a PC3, I use two expression on the outside and two sustain/momentary on the inside, all velcroed to a flat metal pedalboard. Organ exp.is usually on the right unless the split has organ on the left; Leslie speed on one of the momentaries. In one instance, the left pedal is a wah, in another a sustain pedal is a pitchbend up two semitones, in a third song, the same pedal fades a voice in as it fades another out in one sweep. Just whatever I need.

Kurzweil PC4

David Sancious said the same thing in the last KB Mag interview I saw with him - that he's using the Kronos rather than the KX88 he used to - and that he's used to multiple pedals and can't do on the Kronos.

David is right. Part of my opinion is a testament to the Kronos' power.

Pedal IO is one the the cool things about a real dedicated controller like the Physis.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

In my church setup: PC3 lower and PC2 upper (Kurzweil)

Pedals L to R: CC1 control pedal for PC2, three switch pedals in one housing for PC2, three individual switch pedals for PC3, CC1 control pedal for PC3.

PC3 is also used as a MIDI controller for an iPad.

Both are on an OnStage Z Stand which gives enough room for all of the pedals without scrunching them together.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived