Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Technology that is picking your pocket

Song80s

1) Samsung Note Smart Phones.

They don't last 3 yrs. or even 2.5 yrs.

My wife's note 2 crapped out after 2.5 years. The ATT rep told us they are designed to fail after 2 years . Nice. We have 2 friends who had similar experience with the Samsung smart phones.

Are we suckers or what?

2) HP Printer ink, XL cartridges. Never more than 2 months of ink. What a racket. I know all about Costco. Maybe 1 month of recycle life.

Sure, I can get a laser. How about $150 for a new drum ?

Share your ' tech is not that wonderful ' stories

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fortunately, I've been happy with my Samsung phones. The only reason I upgraded was for a better camera. I've never heard "they are designed to fail after 2 years" though. That would suck.

We all know printer ink is just glorified food coloring--for $40. :facepalm:

My Minolta color laser printer died, but it lasted almost 9 years.

Biggest ripoff though was my HP 2500CP plotter printer. The drive belt broke twice. No problem getting it fixed the first time, but nobody wants to service anything that's been discontinued today. So... I now have an $8000 door stop. :mad:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

If people were buying $600 flat screen TV's every two years they'd flip out.

Ton's of people buy a new Iphone every two years and say "no biggie"!

Astounding!!

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I have an old LG Revere Flip Phone. It does what I need it to (I only go on line to do searches if we are away from home or check in on Facebook with it as once we get to the hotel, I use the tablet to go on line). It has lasted quite a while and we have insurance on it. 250 M.B. data for that old thing which I will never use up in a month, only $56 for unlimited everything else.

Now for what does not last here. Printers regardless of brand or type, though I usually have ink jet. I have never had one last more than a couple of months past the warranty date (whether we opt for the extended or not).

Wired mice, especially optical, give out fairly quickly, too, but are cheap enough to replace, so do not think about those so much. My wireless one has lasted ten years and while it eats batteries for snacks, it works well.

As for non-techy electronics, my coffee pots give out within a year. We have a whole stack of them that need to go to electronics recycling.

:P:rolleyes:

I wrote this parody song about six years ago.

Sing to the tune of "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover".

50 Ways To Fix Your Printer

I got an error message, just the other day,

I pushed the print button but it just said, no way.

I sat and looked at it, replying, well, okay.

There must be 50 ways to fix your printer.

I cleared the queue, I turned it off, and then I cried,

I said theres something in this thing that must be fried,

And then I noticed that the whole darn thing had died.

Unplug from the back, Jack,

Reboot the machine, Jean,

Pull out the tray, Ray,

Just try and it and see.

Run virus scan, Dan,

You dont need a big plan!

Just uninstall, Paul,

Then trash it all!

I had the owners manuals and all the floppy disks,

The text.doc warned me that there might just be some risks,

Seven hours later I would learn theres no quick fix,

(Chorus)

:roll:

> The ATT rep told us they are designed to fail after 2 years

I think that's more like the duration of OS support. iPhones can run about 4 years but at that point you want a newer one because iOS slows it down so much you feel like it's useless. If you don't upgrade iOS, then the phone runs fine, but it can't run as much software. They get you no matter what.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Astounding!!

is that a generational thing ? If folks in their 20's/30's re-up their 2 yr new phone contract every 2 yrs, they think thats cool ? Thats 1 helluva expensive ' rental '. I also noticed several parents getting $700 smart phones for their children at my ATT store. The madness continues.

Us old timers expect these devices to last. Keeping the smart phone into year 3 and 4 is smart utility. I think the carriers and cos like Samsung have conned us into 2 yr obsolescence.

[70's Songwriter]

I wrote this parody song about six years ago.

Sing to the tune of "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover".

50 Ways To Fix Your Printer

I got an error message, just the other day,

I pushed the print button but it just said, no way.

I sat and looked at it, replying, well, okay.

I cleared the queue, I turned it off, and then I cried,

I said theres something in this thing that must be fried,

And then I noticed that the whole darn thing had died.

Unplug from the back, Jack,

Reboot the machine, Jean,

Pull out the tray, Ray,

Just try and it and see.

Run virus scan, Dan,

You dont need a big plan!

Just uninstall, Paul,

Then trash it all!

I had the owners manuals and all the floppy disks,

The text.doc warned me that there might just be some risks,

Seven hours later I would learn theres no quick fix,

(Chorus)

:roll:

very clever. I might add this song to my song project. Unfortunately my vocals are abysmal.

[70's Songwriter]

They don't fail after 2 years. Maybe is some cases it's true but we do live in a disposable society. Think of over engineered things like for example I have a Kirby vacuum. It's my grandmothers and other than a few parts it's build like a tank. Speaking of over engineered products. What about a Hammond organ. With maintenance they outlive their owners even!

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I also noticed several parents getting $700 smart phones for their children at my ATT store. The madness continues.

Yes, when you buy a phone for a child there is a good chance it will be lost, stolen or broken in the first 3 months. :idk

I have a Kirby vacuum. It's my grandmothers and other than a few parts it's build like a tank. Speaking of over engineered products. What about a Hammond organ. With maintenance they outlive their owners even!

Hook the Kirby to the Hammond for a "vent." :w00t:

Astounding!!

Even the flat screen TV's are becoming "disposable". My 6 year old 55" Samsung is on the fritz. Cost to repair would probably be more than a new one, even if I could find a repair shop.

Remember when the tube TV's lasted forever.

Uh-oh, the damn kids are running on my lawn again, with them brandy-new dumb phones. Probably looking for that Pokey-Man!

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

I have not owned an inkjet printer in 20 years. Ink dries out in less than a year, whether used or just sitting there.

The key is buying the Right laser printer. HP and some others use toner cartridges that also contain the drum. The next likely failure is the fuser assembly, somewhere near 100,000 pages.

Oldest is a HP 5M that I bought in 1998. Print quality is somewhat degraded, but it still works. I have a couple of P2055dn printers, one from 2011, the other (bought used) from last year. A HP Color LaserJet 3600N bought in 2011. It contains four toner cartridges. I don't do a lot of color, so still on the original cartridges. There is also a USB only HP P2015, bought in 2009.

The way to get better printers: Instead of consumer models, buy some of the smaller "workgroup" business oriented printers. Also check the specs before buying - some of them have extended toner cartridges that average 7,000 pages. Regular cartridges vary from 1,000 pages to 4,000. The 7,000 page ones only cost about 125% of the standard ones. You pay a bit more at the start, but less per year over the usable life.

Phones: The BlackBerry was still working (on the third battery) after 5 years when replaced by the iPhone 6. Apple will exchange the iPhone for less than $100 for the same model when the battery dies. I expect to get 5 years out of it, unless I do something stupid like dropping it too far or into water (I use a Griffin Survivor case).

Sad to say, but the recent vacuums don't last like "my grandmothers" Kirby. Neither do the carpet cleaners. Nothing electronic lasts since the prohibition of lead based solder.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

check the specs before buying - some of them have extended toner cartridges that average 7,000 pages. Regular cartridges vary from 1,000 pages to 4,000.

That's the secret. When I found extended toner cartridges for my color laser, I was a happy camper... even bought a new trailer. :laugh:

I have not owned an inkjet printer in 20 years. Ink dries out in less than a year, whether used or just sitting there.

The key is buying the Right laser printer. HP and some others use toner cartridges that also contain the drum. The next likely failure is the fuser assembly, somewhere near 100,000 pages.

Oldest is a HP 5M that I bought in 1998. Print quality is somewhat degraded, but it still works. I have a couple of P2055dn printers, one from 2011, the other (bought used) from last year. A HP Color LaserJet 3600N bought in 2011. It contains four toner cartridges. I don't do a lot of color, so still on the original cartridges. There is also a USB only HP P2015, bought in 2009.

The way to get better printers: Instead of consumer models, buy some of the smaller "workgroup" business oriented printers. Also check the specs before buying - some of them have extended toner cartridges that average 7,000 pages. Regular cartridges vary from 1,000 pages to 4,000. The 7,000 page ones only cost about 125% of the standard ones. You pay a bit more at the start, but less per year over the usable life.

Phones: The BlackBerry was still working (on the third battery) after 5 years when replaced by the iPhone 6. Apple will exchange the iPhone for less than $100 for the same model when the battery dies. I expect to get 5 years out of it, unless I do something stupid like dropping it too far or into water (I use a Griffin Survivor case).

Sad to say, but the recent vacuums don't last like "my grandmothers" Kirby. Neither do the carpet cleaners. Nothing electronic lasts since the prohibition of lead based solder.

Thats good advice on printers. I need color for my business.

I have good luck with Oreck, a very old brand. Expensive, but they last and last. We also have to bring them to an Oreck Service store 1x per year for maintenance. This is why they have a decent lifespan

[70's Songwriter]

I

As for non-techy electronics, my coffee pots give out within a year. We have a whole stack of them that need to go to electronics recycling.

:P:rolleyes:

Somewhat same experience here. FYI, Wife and I have jumped off the Kuerig bandwagon.

The machines will last for a year , maybe 2 if lucky. And the Kuerig Coffee K-Cups, while convenient are environmentally bad.

So we have a good quality regular drip coffee maker now. Something my wife, an expert researcher , found on HSN. For us serious coffee addicts, I enjoy buying my fav coffee beans.

[70's Songwriter]

Somewhat same experience here. FYI, Wife and I have jumped off the Kuerig bandwagon.

The machines will last for a year , maybe 2 if lucky. And the Kuerig Coffee K-Cups, while convenient are environmentally bad.

Plus as an added bonus, they make lousy coffee.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Plus as an added bonus, they make lousy coffee.

Even our compost complained about the Kuerig K-cup grounds. ;) Bugs said " do not like'

[70's Songwriter]

HP was a pioneer in the movement to put expiration dates on ink cartridges. It served two purposes, keep you from refilling and make you buy new even if you have not turned your printer on in 2 years. They were also the first that I know of to put a bit of digital code in the in cartridge, and then sue 3rd party manufacturers for clones based on the digital rights copy act.

My new Lexmark laser printer in the office is driving me crazy. When it reaches the target number of printed pages for a cartridge it stops and will not print another page until you replace the cartridge.

As for iPhones and iPads, they are an example of quality Chinese manufacturing. We recently replaced an iPhone 3. Not because it was going bad, but because the kid was the only one in school with a phone that old.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

A+ agreement.

I hate my current coffee pot, and it's probably my third one in the last 5 years, none of them cheap.

My 5 year old Samsung TV needs to be "nudged" (sometimes pounded, sometimes lightly tapped) once in a while as most of the HDMI connectors have gone loose.

These $150 printers are an ink scam. I'm pretty confident that one day printers will be free, but you'll have to buy a 2 year ink contract. Pretty much how it currently is, they just need to come "clean" like the phones companies.

RAWWWWRRRR

My recently turned 13 year old daughter however, has been quite responsible with her 6S since December, but she's a genius, so no surprises there!

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Triple play TV/Internet/Phone bundles + Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime. Something is going to get turned off very soon.

Monthly rate software subscriptions. Whatever happened to buying Office and using that version for 10 years? ;) Google can read all my docs they like if Google Docs stays "free" . Nothing that interesting in there - if they don't know I love synths by now, then they are doing a pretty shitty job of invading my privacy.

In App Purchases on iOS - does my kid really need all the levels unlocked?

Combustion engine car leases . I should be able to lease a car that runs on the effing sun for $199 a month by now - with an alternate engine that runs on my pee if the sky's cloudy. FTW :)

Cellular Data plans + Wi-Fi data plans. For $100 a month some ISP should be able to offer a cellular + Wi-Fi and keep you connected all over the place with no data cap. At least for whatever normal usage is. Pirating Bluray movies over cellular - charge those guys whatever you like.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

They give away the razor for free, but they charge for the blades.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Cellular Data plans + Wi-Fi data plans. For $100 a month some ISP should be able to offer a cellular + Wi-Fi and keep you connected all over the place with no data cap.

Cellular plans are often much cheaper in other countries. When I told my friend in China what I was paying, he about fainted. :pop:

We're being shilled as usual. Same for pharmaceuticals.

Oh, don't get me started.

http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/secure/users/3686163/assets/7SLB_AngryDog.jpg

Archived