Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Technology that is picking your pocket

Song80s

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The medical profession... doctors. I heard this as a comedy sketch, but it's quite true:

Doctors always keep you waiting, they don't post their rates, with all of our technology today--they still only guess what's wrong with you, and they don't guarantee their work.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Never thought of it like that, but you make a point. I don't know what anything costs at that place until after I've been billed, it's been to the insurance, and I find out what they did pay if anything. What a racket. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

A+ agreement.

I hate my current coffee pot, and it's probably my third one in the last 5 years, none of them cheap.

Just a suggestion, but I picked up one of These

babies about 5 years ago and never looked back. #1 pick by Cook's Illustrated several years running IIRC.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

As for non-techy electronics, my coffee pots give out within a year. We have a whole stack of them that need to go to electronics recycling.

:P:rolleyes:

Costco: Purchase coffee pot, place receipt in box, throw in attic, when it breaks (usually 1-2 years later) retrieve/pack box, return, repeat.

Oh and as of yesterday...Eurorack. :steve:

you returned a Eurorack to Costco ? Thats a good trick ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

FYI, Wife and I have jumped off the Kuerig bandwagon.

The machines will last for a year , maybe 2 if lucky. And the Kuerig Coffee K-Cups, while convenient are environmentally bad.

Plus as an added bonus, they make lousy coffee.

And ridiculously expensive for a machine that basically just boils water.

I received one as a gift this past spring, but I miss my old Mr. Coffee machine.

I do what I can to invest in durable tech.

I'm writing this on a 6 year old Macbook Air that's still hanging in there. Our house has a few PCs that still run, wait for it, good old Windows XP. All the software and games still work just fine.

Coffee? We invested in automatics many years ago, they're still grinding out an amazing cup of espresso year in and year out. Printers? No good answer, sorry.

Cars? One of my favorites is a used Mercedes E class wagon from 2008 that I bought with 110K miles on it. Fun ride, no problems. I think I can get it to 250K miles with a bit of luck. Our other favorite is a Ford F150 from 2010 that we bought with 120K miles on it. Love it too.

The tech stuff we buy tends to last years, or sometimes decades. Just the other day I realized my home network router was from 2008. Ooops. Darn thing keeps working.

Keyboards and amps? Still trying to avoid GAS, and I'm in a good place. Pretty locked in with my boards and my amplification, but hanging out on this forum does NOT help.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

We have a 1996 Ford Bronco that we bought in 2000 that is still running great, about to turn 271,000 miles.

Roland E-16 from 1993 still playing great.

Onkyo stereo receiver for the entertainment center purchased in 1998 still doing great.

One of the original Nintendo game systems, so long ago I do not remember the exact year, but you know those are old. Still working great and sometimes you can find the game cartridges in thrift stores.

:)

We have a 1996 Ford Bronco that we bought in 2000 that is still running great, about to turn 271,000 miles.

Onkyo stereo receiver for the entertainment center purchased in 1998 still doing great.

I am removing " Car salesperson/Electronics salesperson in Idaho " from the list of " Future careers for Children " ;)

[70's Songwriter]

I'm writing this on a 6 year old Macbook Air that's still hanging in there. Our house has a few PCs that still run, wait for it, good old Windows XP. All the software and games still work just fine.

Coffee? We invested in automatics many years ago, they're still grinding out an amazing cup of espresso year in and year out. Printers? No good answer, sorry.

Cars? One of my favorites is a used Mercedes E class wagon from 2008 that I bought with 110K miles on it. Fun ride, no problems. I think I can get it to 250K miles with a bit of luck. Our other favorite is a Ford F150 from 2010 that we bought with 120K miles on it. Love it too.

The tech stuff we buy tends to last years, or sometimes decades. Just the other day I realized my home network router was from 2008. Ooops. Darn thing keeps working.

Keyboards and amps? Still trying to avoid GAS, and I'm in a good place. Pretty locked in with my boards and my amplification, but hanging out on this forum does NOT help.

Its ok to brag a little.

Have you been called ' overly frugal ' before ? ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Yes, we'll have you pre-ordering a DeepMind 12 by the end of the month. :cool:

Stop it. Just stop it. You made me go check it out, and that's not helpful in the least.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Its ok to brag a little.

Brag a little? I'm doing my best to keep from bragging a lot :)

No, no one has ever called me frugal. Providing evidence would feed that bragging thing I'm trying to kick.

Stop it. Just stop it. You made me go check it out, and that's not helpful in the least.

Glad I could help. :laugh:

Kuerig is perfect for me. I don't drink coffee. My machine makes about 4 cups per week, all for guests.

Not really technology related, but my dentist and all the others in the area have started pushing everything they can charge for. They want teeth cleaning every 4 months, x-rays every year, panno x-rays every two years, etc... I'm tired of having to say no over and over. I had a dental hygienist actually tell me "But I will get in trouble if you don't do your x-rays."

Car dealers are using the same business model. Took my Camry in for an oil change this week.

"Your filter is dirty. We can replace it. $39.95."

"Your tires were rotated 7000 miles ago. We should rotate them..."

"Your battery is not bad, but it is getting week. A 5 year battery cost..."

"Your tires are getting close to the point that they should be replaced..."

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Car dealers are using the same business model. Took my Camry in for an oil change this week.

"Your filter is dirty. We can replace it. $39.95."

"Your tires were rotated 7000 miles ago. We should rotate them..."

"Your battery is not bad, but it is getting week. A 5 year battery cost..."

"Your tires are getting close to the point that they should be replaced..."

At least they post their rates and guarantee their work... not so in the medical profession.

:deadhorse:

Dentists have been pushing regular cleaning for some years. I was a sceptic until some mild gum issues and the Dentist pointed out that what he does is deep cleaning between gum and tooth where no brush goes.

He said either get it done every 4 months or risk losing my choppers before I reach the point where I don't need them anymore.

I just wish he would not tell me about his next European holiday while he does it.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Its ok to brag a little.

Brag a little? I'm doing my best to keep from bragging a lot :)

No, no one has ever called me frugal. Providing evidence would feed that bragging thing I'm trying to kick.

Oh, I get it. You are doing your best. That's good.

There is something called Facebook, for people that work on bragging, etc 😄

[70's Songwriter]

Think of over engineered things like for example I have a Kirby vacuum. It's my grandmothers and other than a few parts it's build like a tank.

My team lead still has his Kirby that was given to him 30 years ago when he was working as a Kirby as a door-to-door sales rep.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Think of over engineered things like for example I have a Kirby vacuum. It's my grandmothers and other than a few parts it's build like a tank.

My team lead still has his Kirby that was given to him 30 years ago when he was working as a Kirby as a door-to-door sales rep.

Still have my grandmother's Kirby, and my aunt's in case I need parts. They are built like tanks!

I am removing " Car salesperson/Electronics salesperson in Idaho " from the list of " Future careers for Children " ;)

Hey, we got potatoes galore and breweries are starting to edge in. If they legalize marijuana like two of our bordering states have done, kids could get degrees in:

Spuds, suds and buds

:puff:

Still have my grandmother's Kirby, and my aunt's in case I need parts. They are built like tanks!

Problem is for most older people they are too heavy like my mom, there is a big market for the old ones though. I see them on E-bay even.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I have made it to the advanced age of 1,482 without having had a TV. (I've actually owned the device once or twice before but only for hooking up to a DVD player or the like.)

When I moved into my current place, I bit the bullet and actually got both a TV and cable service. First time. I thought, "Baseball season is starting, Olympics are coming up, I'm alone--maybe it will be fun to have TV for awhile."

Now it just sits there, off, while my computer rests in front of it, streaming the local NPR station.

Time Warner loves me.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Archived