Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gigging with older gear.

Chris Towns

I change gear a lot more than I used to.

Sometimes I hear stories about gear that inspires me to trade. I was happy with the RD-500 and would have played it longer but too many people were telling horror stories about hammers breaking. LOL

Wow, amazing you didn't experience that. My first of many more to come broke about three months after getting it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2000 Yamaha S80 has been incredibly faithful and my primary master keyboard for 16 years. The sounds from this board still rivals any modern-day Motif. It's all in the programming, baby.

Check out the link below to hear some S80 Horns I programmed for "Rosanna"

It will be a Sad Sad day if/when my S80 croaks on me.

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

You can probably get by with almost anything, as long as it functions and so do you.

BUT...if you're a freelancer, showing up for jobs with new people a lot of the time, I'll be direct and say that it doesn't hurt to show up with current gear. I might even go so far as to say that showing up with the same keyboard you've had for the last 20 years and haven't replaced not because it's so awesome, but just because it's still "good enough," might lower your stock a bit. Valid or no, I think the latter gives the impression that you're not quite in the scene.

Plus it really will sound dated, whether it's good enough or not.

Keeping your equipment up to date shows that you play a lot, care enough to keep your sound optimal and current, and make enough $ at it to help that happen. And again...board against board, a new DP will flat out sound better than a 20-year-old one...and therefore, much of the time, so will you when you play it.

No, better boards do not better players make. But IMO they can have an effect on how much that player can hope to work, compared to a comparable player on a more limited rig.

(Says the guy with the rapidly aging NS...)

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

My 2000 Yamaha S80 has been incredibly faithful and my primary master keyboard for 16 years. The sounds from this board still rivals any modern-day Motif. It's all in the programming, baby.

Great sounding group and cover work on getting those sounds (playing is excellent too). What's in the live rig? Is that CP-4, S-80, and an XK-3?

Also, side note - do you always gig with this large an ensemble? Equal split on the $? The electric strings would break my budget fast!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yea, for this show, I used the S80, CP4 and Studiologic Numa w/ Neo Vent.

This was my first show using the CP4 and I have to say I was not impressed. In the store, it sounded awesome by itself, But the CP4's pianos and EP's easily gets lost in the mix in a band setting. It's like it's got a very limited dynamic range with no extra bite when laying into it. I sold my SV1 to get the CP4, now I'm really missing my SV1....especially the Rhodes, Whirly and Clavs. Ill probably end up dumping the CP4 and getting a Kronos.

Yes, the band is quite a large ensemble.

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

But the CP4's pianos and EP's easily gets lost in the mix in a band setting. It's like it's got a very limited dynamic range with no extra bite when laying into it.

Does the CP4 let you adjust keyboard sensitivity? If you're laying into it and not getting more, it may be because you were already hitting high midi velocity numbers before.

Hey Engineer Joel, speaking of older gear that Ill never get rid of, I see you still have the Ensoniq ZR-76. Ive had this in my studio for 20 years---still use it all the time---great piece of gear with a secret weapon drum machinegreat strings and synths, etc.

Also, once in a great while Ill bring out my Roland RD300 v.1 for a gig. For a Rock and Roll gig, Id rather play piano (#3) on that than a German Steinway. And I love the look. I guess theres a company called SC sounds that has the MKS engine thats compatible for Nord Electros. I love my NE4 for gigs, but Im tempted to get that MKS piano.the APs on the Nord do nothing for me, so I end up playing EP5---bright tines--for most of the piano songs. Its not really a problem, because I love that EP patch.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

+1

I really miss mine. Gigged with one for 10 yrs(2001 to 2011), ended up selling it when it started acting flaky. It was a true workhorse. It was heavy, but I would definitely snag another if can find one in good condition. There aren't too many affordable boards out there these days with such good build-quality.

Oh.. and that VOODOO MAN patch is the absolute best guitar of any rompler, IMO!!

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

...if you're a freelancer, showing up for jobs with new people a lot of the time, I'll be direct and say that it doesn't hurt to show up with current gear.

Keeping your equipment up to date shows that you play a lot, care enough to keep your sound optimal and current, and make enough $ at it to help that happen.

All of the above is true. Particularly so if the above criteria is your case. It isn't always the case for a lot of keyboard players. I do some freelancing, but am mainly "settled in" with a band I love, who also loves my playing and sound, and there isn't a care in the world what brand I'm playing or how old it is.

So for a guy like me, getting new gear at this point will only mean added expense, plus new learning curve, plus a lot of work in re-creating the patches, splits, and layers that I've invested a lot of time in. I could do it (I can afford 1 or 2 new boards at this time), but I just won't do it now because the return-on-investment just isn't there for me and my situation.

I do understand that the ROI probably IS there for a lot of others by doing constant gear updating... a lot of these players probably just hire a tech to re-create the patches, splits, and layers anyway. Sentient-Benefit-To-Financial-Benefit-Ratio is always a concern in life, whichever way it goes for you.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I sold my SV1 to get the CP4, now I'm really missing my SV1....especially the Rhodes, Whirly and Clavs. Ill probably end up dumping the CP4 and getting a Kronos.

OTOH, check out today's posts in the thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2795589

Maybe a Kawai MP7 or a Kurzweil Forte?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If I was playing in an 80s band I would so be bringing out some of my 80s boards. D50 would defintely be riding again.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Really nice horns. Great job and love vintage synths

Good band , top notch vocalist and like Al mentioned, yeah you really nailed that part/solo and imitating that specific sound off the record. Nice arrangement on the ending too , that was cool. :thu:

This was my first show using the CP4 and I have to say I was not impressed. In the store, it sounded awesome by itself, But the CP4's pianos and EP's easily gets lost in the mix in a band setting. It's like it's got a very limited dynamic range with no extra bite when laying into it. I sold my SV1 to get the CP4, now I'm really missing my SV1....especially the Rhodes, Whirly and Clavs. Ill probably end up dumping the CP4 and getting a Kronos.

Hmmas I'm listening to your short solo on that sort of 2nd line , half time breakdown @ 4:39 to around 4:59, before the guitar gets stronger - it sounds pretty darn clear, convincing and upfront there. You guys aren't exactly playin' Take the A train right there if you know what I mean ? ;):D You're hittin' pretty hard and it lacks no clarityat least on the recording. Maybe it's still not what you want to hear..

I owned 2 SV1s so I could see your preference about the Rhodes and Wurlis..and maybe Clavs. But not the APs. Of course my personal taste. :) The SV1's APs would sound better in this context then mine for sure, as well.

Personally I'd go the Nord Piano route (if you want something you feel that really cuts) before I'd go back to the SV1. Maybe find someone that still has the NP2 in their stock, at hopefully reduced pricing. Again ymmv but things sound good here as it is. :)

I was playing in an 80s band I would so be bringing out some of my 80s boards. D50 would defintely be riding again.

Did up a fresh battery in my 1988 D-50 last night and played it for the first time in ages. It reminded me what a great sounding synth it is. Nice build quality too. It was my constant road and studio companion from '88 through '02.

Thanks AL !! I'm blessed to jamming' with such a bunch crazy talented 70's/80's music junkies.

I really miss mine. Gigged with one for 10 yrs(2001 to 2011), ended up selling it when it started acting flaky. It was a true workhorse. It was heavy, but I would definitely snag another if can find one in good condition. There aren't too many affordable boards out there these days with such good build-quality.

Oh.. and that VOODOO MAN patch is the absolute best guitar of any rompler, IMO!!

Hey TuckTronix, Yes, that S80 "Voodoo Man" electric guitar patch is stellar!! Actually pisses-off some guitar players when I solo with this patchcause they jealous they can't get their guitar to sound that good. This patch is one of the reasons I have hung on to my S80 for so long. Although, there was an attempt to recreate the Voodoo patch in the S90 and Motif series keyboards, the patch did not transfer well and sounds lame.

Later,

joel

Good band , top notch vocalist and like Al mentioned, yeah you really nailed that part/solo and imitating that specific sound off the record. Nice arrangement on the ending too , that was cool. :thu:

Hmmas I'm listening to your short solo on that sort of 2nd line , half time breakdown @ 4:39 to around 4:59, before the guitar gets stronger - it sounds pretty darn clear, convincing and upfront there. You guys aren't exactly playin' Take the A train right there if you know what I mean ? ;):D You're hittin' pretty hard and it lacks no clarityat least on the recording. Maybe it's still not what you want to hear..

I owned 2 SV1s so I could see your preference about the Rhodes and Wurlis..and maybe Clavs. But not the APs. Of course my personal taste. :) The SV1's APs would sound better in this context then mine for sure, as well.

Personally I'd go the Nord Piano route (if you want something you feel that really cuts) before I'd go back to the SV1. Maybe find someone that still has the NP2 in their stock, at hopefully reduced pricing. Again ymmv but things sound good here as it is. :)

Hey Dave,

Okay, I found out why the CP4 pianos were sounding lame. The dang threshold on-board Master compressor on the CP4 was cranked and limiting the dynamic range. Once I turned off the stupid compressor, the CP4 came to life.

Okay now the CP4 pianos sound greatbut, the CP4's EP's still not near as good as the SV1's. My Korg wish-list would to have a rack-mount SV1 module (i.e SV1-R) and keep the CP4 This would be the best of both worlds.

Hey Engineer Joel, speaking of older gear that Ill never get rid of, I see you still have the Ensoniq ZR-76. Ive had this in my studio for 20 years---still use it all the time---great piece of gear with a secret weapon drum machinegreat strings and synths, etc.

Also, once in a great while Ill bring out my Roland RD300 v.1 for a gig. For a Rock and Roll gig, Id rather play piano (#3) on that than a German Steinway. And I love the look. I guess theres a company called SC sounds that has the MKS engine thats compatible for Nord Electros. I love my NE4 for gigs, but Im tempted to get that MKS piano.the APs on the Nord do nothing for me, so I end up playing EP5---bright tines--for most of the piano songs. Its not really a problem, because I love that EP patch.

Hey SAGETUNES,

Yes, the Ensoniq ZR-76 an awesome keyboard. The "Perfect Piano" patch is well.perfect! (almost). And the drum loops are great to jam along withone of the easiest sequencers I ever used. The weighted keybed action is fantastic. It has become my primary practice-piano at home.

Archived