Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2016-2017 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GS would be a tall order for a really good defensive team to deal with. The Cavs ain't that. Irving flat gave up on some plays last night. Thing is, unless GS goes into one of those swoons like they do from time to time it's going to be hard for the Cavs to generate enough offense to make this a series...

...Irving flat gave up on some plays last night....

When I saw that, it made the game look like a farce. Reminded me of professional wrestling.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

It's just game one, and if last year taught us anything, it's that nothing's in the bag until...it's in the bag.

I don't expect Cleveland to lay down, and I don't expect my Dubs to have a smooth path.

BTW, I'm not aware that Seth chews his mouthguard, although his brother Steph does so as a mental habit to calm him and restore rhythm. As far as SC being a prima donna...opinions vary and you are of course entitled to yours.

As a lifelong Warriors fan (dating back to Nate the Great 42), I'm delighted so far.

Go Dubs!

It's just game one, and if last year taught us anything, it's that nothing's in the bag until...it's in the bag.

I don't expect Cleveland to lay down, and I don't expect my Dubs to have a smooth path.

BTW, I'm not aware that Seth chews his mouthguard, although his brother Steph does so as a mental habit to calm him and restore rhythm. As far as SC being a prima donna...opinions vary and you are of course entitled to yours.

As a lifelong Warriors fan (dating back to Nate the Great 42), I'm delighted so far.

Go Dubs!

Seth who ?

Show more faith on this years finals ;) Warriors are on fire. Step is in perfect health.

Dubs in 4.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

.....and if they sweep (although I think it's a tall order.....I have them in 6 myself) this NBA regular season and playoffs will be about the biggest yawn I can remember in quite sometime.....The NBA has always been about a handful of elites fighting it out every year. If the Dubs do dominate the Cavs, who would certainly be the second best team in the league, it won't really be all that good for the NBA's business. I think that at least some point we like to see something of a struggle, even from our super teams, to achieve greatness. Hey! Maybe LeBron can go to GS too next year.....we can just skip the whole thing and retire the trophy.....

Well, I can understand that if you don't live in the Bay Area. It's a bit how I feel growing up a life-long 49ers faithful (never have I seen a championship team dismantled so quickly and comprehensively).

But strength and dominance isn't unknown in pro sports, and it's really good if it's your team on top of the heap.

Here's the thing. I don't think the Dubs formula is any big secret. It's not a hidden mystery, and it's not un-duplicatable...it's just not easy. They're not the first team in history to stack the deck with talent. Kerr's not the first coach to coach and preach the beautiful game.

Seems to me the real difficult part is getting the critical number of complementay superstars, building a healthy working culture, AND getting them all to commit to the unselfish beautiful game.

That's all. Simple as pie.

.....and if they sweep (although I think it's a tall order.....I have them in 6 myself) this NBA regular season and playoffs will be about the biggest yawn I can remember in quite sometime.....The NBA has always been about a handful of elites fighting it out every year. If the Dubs do dominate the Cavs, who would certainly be the second best team in the league, it won't really be all that good for the NBA's business. I think that at least some point we like to see something of a struggle, even from our super teams, to achieve greatness. Hey! Maybe LeBron can go to GS too next year.....we can just skip the whole thing and retire the trophy.....

6 ? maybe we both have bias.

I hear you are unhappy with the Warriors roster. No one forces these mega millionaire players to go to certain teams. Its a players league and has been for +20 yrs.

Since the season and playoffs make you sleepy, there is something you are missing out.

There is a good amount of strategy involved. Its not simply a 7 foot guard running up and down the court making an uncontested lay up.

And all this is not good for the NBA business ? I feel we are on Sports Talk radio.

I am not 1 bit worried about gazillionaire owners or the NBA corporate types. I wouldn't lose any sleep fussing over next year , either.

[70's Songwriter]

I'm not unhappy. I was stating that the NBA probably would like more competitve play,than just have one team, ANY team go fo-fo-fo-fo through the playoffs. Sorry if you were offended by my seeming diss of the Dubs. I actually like watching them play. My perception of the playoffs and regular season is totally mine, sorry if you don't agree. Actually, no I'm not.....

^ This ^

I (half) jokingly thought to myself last night that LeBron is just toying with the Warriors, preparing to spot them 3-1 again, so he can rip their hearts out in Game 7.

Not that I hope for that result, but I do hope for a competitive series. Otherwise, I'm slightly rooting for Golden State. As a fan of the old D'Antoni Suns teams, I view Kerr's Warriors as direct descendants of that system; and I would see a win would as something of a vindication for the path D'Antoni (and Kerr) took in Phoenix.

Interestingly, both the Cavaliers and the Warriors each have three former Arizona Wildcats on their squads, so I'm not disappointed to see either team playing in the Finals this year.

Yes, it's not satisfying to see the same teams return year after year; but at least both of those teams are not the NBA dynasties that dominated decade after decade.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I'm not unhappy. I was stating that the NBA probably would like more competitve play,than just have one team, ANY team go fo-fo-fo-fo through the playoffs. Sorry if you were offended by my seeming diss of the Dubs. I actually like watching them play. My perception of the playoffs and regular season is totally mine, sorry if you don't agree. Actually, no I'm not.....

you said the season and series was a big yawn plus your other remarks. I am not the least bit offended. This is typical sports talk. I get that some here don't like a team like the Warriors. Or don't like Lebron. Or you guys want other teams in the mix.

Such is life. You can't get what you want. That colors the value in what this series is. Basketball at a high level.

Its good that you see some value with watching the Warriors. As I mentioned, there is strategy to check out if one is not into team and its players.

Warriors are well coached. I know last year makes some a little shy. But that was then.

This is a different year for the Warriors. Try to enjoy it. If not, there is hockey and baseball

Not to difficult to take a stand.

4 and out.

[70's Songwriter]

Typical sports talk.....yep, I'm a typical sports fan I guess, so there you go...

I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm really not a fan of any team. I watched the Bulls in the 90's because of Jordan, and that was the last time I really followed any one team, but I watch basketball all the time. So, speaking for myself, the perfect scenario would be for EVERY series to be a really well played 7 game battle. I don't really care who wins, I want good competition the whole way through. If you are a fan of a team, nothing could be as satisfying as watching that team sweep their way to the championship without even really being tested. However, if you're watching the games without rooting for any particular team, a string of 4 game sweeps leaves you a little wanting. That's my opinion on the subject, and I'm every bit as entitled to it as the true fan of any one team is to theirs.....

Amazing finish, and KD makes it look so simple.

A week ago, my friends laughed when I suggested the Dubs could sweep the finals. They're not laughing now.

KD reigns supreme, though. He should get MVP regardless of who wins the series.

you were a nice guy for not taking their money, early on by making a wager.

[70's Songwriter]

Holy smokes, what a game. :boing:

Killer finish by GSW. Killer.

dB

I don't hear anyone saying they are bored.

Funny how emotions change

[70's Songwriter]

Welllllll........it's not "emotions"......it was an actual close game.

Its good you weren't yawning thru the game ;)

You noticed some strategy ? especially during the last few minutes

[70's Songwriter]

Lebron and Irving were BOTH lights out tonight, and it still wasn't enough. If you're the Cavs I don't know what else you can do.....

I concur. The Cavs brought their A game, you can't blame them. But Lebron did look a little lost in the closing minutes of the game. I mean, what was up with that silly jumpshot?

Lebron and Irving were BOTH lights out tonight, and it still wasn't enough. If you're the Cavs I don't know what else you can do.....

I concur. The Cavs brought their A game, you can't blame them. But Lebron did look a little lost in the closing minutes of the game. I mean, what was up with that silly jumpshot?

He'll never admit it, but at the pace he has to play for them to hang, as well as the sheer number of minutes, I have to believe he's at least a little bit gassed by the end....

Oh....and.....GO DUBS!

what took you so long ?

And I am surprised you did not add... " in 6 games "

LOL

[70's Songwriter]

How about scoring 49 points in the first quarter?!?

The Cavaliers really got it done tonight! No sweep for the Warriors.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Report-Pair-of-tickets-to-Game-5-of-Finals-sell-11212255.php

ok, time to fess up.. which one of you guys ponied up for these tickets or have that gigantic expense account for the client ? ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Archived