Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2016-2017 Thread

Geoff Grace

Now that the NBA 2015-2016 season is in the books and the city of Cleveland has had their long awaited celebration, let's take a look at the season ahead as the NBA Draft begins tonight:

Hometown Bulls send Derrick Rose to Knicks in multiplayer swap

Phil Jackson told Derrick Rose Knicks will push for Kevin Durant

76ers trying to acquire No. 3 pick from Celtics

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My understanding is that when Rose found out the Bulls were looking to trade him, he requested New York so he could play on that big stage.

I don't think he wanted to leave Chicago though.

Best,

Geoff

I can see it now.....Rose dribbles past half court, passes to 'Melo......never sees the ball again....I bet that'll get real old real fast....

LOL. Yeah, that's the ticket. ;)

Sadly, that seems to fly in the face of this story:

LeBron James to get less than elsewhere with 1-year Cavs deal

Even so, I like the Lakers' prospects. As I posted at the end of last season's thread:

the ingredients are in place for future success, if they gel properly. The Lakers have a great draft spot this year and $55 million to spend on the free agent market. Last, but not least, their new coach, Luke Walton, has had some of the best mentoring availablestarting with his John Wooden trained dad, Bill, then in college under Lute Olson, then under Phil Jackson, and most recently with Steve Kerr in the successful, current Golden State environment.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I can see it now.....Rose dribbles past half court, passes to 'Melo......never sees the ball again....I bet that'll get real old real fast....

Or.......

I can see it now.....Rose dribbles past half court, passes to 'Melo......takes a seat on the bench....makes a statement to the press that he is pacing himself so he will be in good shape for the next contract.....I bet that'll get real old real fast....

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Or.......

I can see it now.....Rose dribbles past half court, passes to 'Melo......takes a seat on the bench....makes a statement to the press that he is pacing himself so he will be in good shape for the next contract.....I bet that'll get real old real fast....

Even better! It's sad...being a New Jersey kid in the 60's and 70's the Knicks were, as Tony Kornheiser always says, the team of my youth. They haven't been close to relevant since the days of Patrick Ewing, and I don't think a "big three" of Rose/Melo/whoever is going to change things much at all...

Another learning curve year for the Lakers. And another year for them getting second tier FA's. I'm just curious how many more wins they get this year.

As for the Knicks, Porzingis is for real. Knick fans just pray he doesn't get hurt.. like that new guy they picked up.

On paper, it looks like 2016/2017 is done and dusted already.

But my homie (who used to be a semi-pro) says Durant is not what GSW needs; he feels they should get a post rather than another SG or Forward, they need an inside game.

When I asked him who would be the right fit, he said: Hakeem Olajuwon... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Agreed. This could go a couple different ways for my Dubs. It could be too much of a loaded gun for any other team to combat...imagine how many fourth quarters Curry may be sitting out this season.

But can Durant swallow his pride and become part of the most team-oriented offense in the league? Remains to be seen.

If Bogut is gone, what do we do on the inside? Yes, we drafted a promising 7 footer...but "drafted" and "promising" aren't two words that makes anyone feel warm and fuzzy. Bogut's durability has been suspect for a while, yes. But we still have questions in the paint.

Yes, I get that as well - esp. compared to, say, Westbrook or Harden. But if a guy isn't used to giving up the good shot to pass for the great shot, well - there's only one basketball.

Looking forward to a healthy Steph, hoping we can cultivate an inside game.

The only thing that gives me pause on this is the 2003/4 Lakers. Already having Shaq & Kobe they signed Karl Malone & Gary Payton. On paper it looked like they would be a slam dunk for the championship but we know how that turned out. Actually my prediction back then was that they would implode. The situation is definitely not the same with the Dubs though. With the Lakers all of a sudden you had 4 egos that had to be finessed where the Warriors have much more of a team outlook. But now they've traded off Ezeli & Bogut so they'll have to go shopping center.....er....I mean, center shopping. My withdrawal pains that I always go through from June until the next NBA season starts really have me Jonesing now!! However this could make them even more fun to watch than they were this year.

Imho, ego had nothing to do with LA losing that series. Malone was playing great then he fell on the sideline and a player landed squarely on his knee knocking him out of the playoffs. The Lakers were doing very well until then. We'll never know of course but they had a great shot at another championship until that happened.

I think GS is the new Dream Team now.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

But we still have questions in the paint.

For the GSW, that was my concern during the playoff series against OKC and the Cavs. No real inside game. They live and die by shooting.

Well, with the signing of KD, they've added another weapon on offense and more scoring but still no presence down low.

With Bogut out the door, maybe they will pick up a healthier big man to control the paint on offense and defense.

I do not think Curry, Durant and Thompson will have a problem sharing the rock. Nor do I believe Curry will be so quick to throw up 35-footers next season. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

And the Lakers get...Jose Calderone?? And resign Marcelo Huertas. Good enough role players but they're not scaring anybody. Nice initial comments about Ingram though.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Just read a blurb concerning Calderone. The cap floor (as opposed to the celing) means that if a team doesn't spend 90% of their cap money the left over amount has to be split between the players on the team. Calderone cost them 7.7 mil and that money is spent anyway if they don't give it to another player so they got him basically for free along with two second round picks. Looking at it that way, it's a great deal for the Lakers.

Bob

Archived