Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hmmm! Kronos Starting to Play Up (thats not a song!)

Losendoskeys

At our gig last Saturday the Kronos locked up after having booted up and played for a short time.

I powered off and back on and it worked all through the gig.

Set up again yesterday and it stopped midboot on the loading page.

Again restarted and it was fine all evening.

I had a problem with the main board which was replaced when I first got it.

Not liking the looks of this..........

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had 2 freezes at a gig years ago with an early OS but I'm assuming you've updated yours to the latest and that you don't have any USB stuff plugged in while booting. My 61s are both rock solid...hope you get it sorted out.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

At our gig last Saturday the Kronos locked up after having booted up and played for a short time.

I powered off and back on and it worked all through the gig.

Set up again yesterday and it stopped midboot on the loading page.

Again restarted and it was fine all evening.

I had a problem with the main board which was replaced when I first got it.

Not liking the looks of this..........

UPS ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Ah the joys of computer based instruments. I never had to reboot my clavinet, rhodes or tonewheel. Of course they weighed a ton.

Caveats: get off my lawn, etc.

and we paid a heavy price for all of them

[70's Songwriter]

Ah the joys of computer based instruments. I never had to reboot my clavinet, rhodes or tonewheel. Of course they weighed a ton.

I've never had to tune my XF.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I had issues with my Kronos 2 freezing up and a couple of documented errors. I updated the firmware and OS and bought a UPS with automatic voltage regulation and so far bo problems for about 10-12 months.

Had a problems with combis going flat. The issue was a bad ribbon controller. A bad joystick unit can cause the same thing according to my tech.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have had a Kronos for about 3 years and never had a problem yet. I know as soon as i say this something will break. But i am using my Nord more to take the stress of just only the Kronos. Since i quit the pop band and went with a variety band i do not use the Kronos as much. But i still love the Kronos.

Not sure if it could be a cause, but I had an issue with my MOXF at a gig where the power was bad. I.e., low voltage out of range.

Since then, I have gone to a UPS/Conditioner to keep everything at 120 volts, so brownouts etc. don't fry my boards.

Just an idea.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I use a UPS and have had no lock up problems, but I did have the dreaded sustain problem which is just as bad. Never had it after using a Korg sustain pedal.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

+1 on the "dirty power" theory.

I can knock that theory on the head - I always carry a UPS ;)

I am one step behind on the OS front - while I have no gigs I will update but I fear an impending fail of the hard drive or memory stick......

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I am one step behind on the OS front - while I have no gigs I will update but I fear an impending fail of the hard drive or memory stick......

Yikes. Well then... :blush:

Hopefully it was just a hiccup.

ok, I hope you carry and plug into the UPS ;)

Loose ram is the next suspect. I understand the attraction with loose women but loose ram is not cool ;) Make sure she is seated.

[70's Songwriter]

Suggest opening up the unit and reseating the RAM sticks. Also make sure all SATA connections are tight (reseat them as well). Good time make sure nothing has fallen into the unit and could cause issues.

Don't know if you have an USB connected devices, but disconnect these and look at possibly replacing these cables. I had an issue with my Mac Pro in that it took FOREVER to boot (10 to 20 minutes). Turned out one of my USB cables was crimped and basically shorting out.

You should find videos of how to open the case at the Korg Forum.

Busch.

Guess you never had anyone, unbeknownst to you, unplug and then quickly plug in your Hammond causing it to drop in pitch. Only recourse is reboot.

Busch.

Thanks guys.

I did the RAM upgrade myself (trained electronics tech) so familiar with getting in whilst jamming the keybed.

I don't connect USB devices but I'll try the RAM and plugs reseat and hope for the best.

Nothing sends a computer into tail spin like a brown out. I'd be inclined to use a power conditioner when gigging a board like the Kronos as well... Muse Receptor to. Theories on why the custom DSP like the Motif don't typically go into panic as quickly? Theo? ;)

Loose RAM is another typical desktop computer motherboard freakout.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I was having a similar problem with a Kurz PC361 until I started using this https://www.amazon.com/SurgeX-Defender-SX-DS-154-MultiPak-Conditioner/dp/B00L6H8P8U

Thing is I paid $140 for mine back in January and that was the best deal I could find. At this price i just ordered another for my studio.

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

You know, it got me thinking that given the fact that the Kronos contains an Atom motherboard and only has a power consumption of 60W, it's pretty much a laptop in hardware. Korg could easily build in a Lithium Ion battery into the Kronos to keep the system up for a short time. Heck, a laptop battery would run it for several hours!

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

Got your Mojo working today eh.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

You know, it got me thinking that given the fact that the Kronos contains an Atom motherboard and only has a power consumption of 60W, it's pretty much a laptop in hardware. Korg could easily build in a Lithium Ion battery into the Kronos to keep the system up for a short time. Heck, a laptop battery would run it for several hours!
My experience with laptop batteries is that they have a shorter life than even modern keyboards. Also, are there standard sizes? Otherwise, every few years, you'll be buying a new battery from Korg.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

what are the cool guys recommending for a gig/kit UPS? I don't have a rack so rackmount is out. I only need a couple outputs, looking for small and light, not looking to be a disaster recovery center.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

what are the cool guys recommending for a gig/kit UPS? I don't have a rack so rackmount is out. I only need a couple outputs, looking for small and light, not looking to be a disaster recovery center.

Dave, I use a 1u rack mount tripplite.

For you, I'd recommend a simply APC 6 outlet UPS. They have a fairly inexpensive one. It looks like a power strip on steroids.

It will keep your boards up long enough to shut them down properly if you need to to in the event of a brown out/power outage.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Archived