Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OB-6

Doberfort

Well, those two videos were a waste of time... I will be glad when a REAL demo video on the interesting board comes out--probably post NAMM?
I thought the "bar" video was cool and funny. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tom & Dave !

Please give me the Prophet-6 and OB-6 as desktop modules.

I´d probably buy both then,- just because I don´t need any more keys, especially not 4-octaves of these.

thx

A.C.

The Prophet-6 module exists.

I'm fairly certain they made it 4 octaves so that you cannot possibly play Jump on it.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

The Prophet-6 module exists.

Yep, my bad, dunno why I didn´t remember.

I just focussed on the 4 oct. range keyboards I don´t need.

The OB-6 demo by INHALT sounds very good.

Since the P-6 exists as a desktop module, there´s hope OB-6 might come in that form factor too.

So, I´d buy ´em as a bundle in a heartbeat.

:D

A.C.

Holy Motherboard ! Must. Have. This. :D

The GAS here is so bad it just woke up the neighbors.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

For those of you who think you might need it-

You do.

Played it today and was very impressed, even more so than the P 6. I think there will be a desktop module in due time, but it will be tough waiting that long....

Played this at NAMM today. Out of all the new synths I laid my hands on, this was the only one I wanted to indulge my time in. By the time I got to the bank with the "Genevieve" patch, I had an eargasm.

But yeah, another beautiful one-octave-short polysynth that I cannot afford.

Yep, it's basically a tweak (not to belittle the work; actually a lot of changes under the hood) of the P6 in order to be able to quickly get a great synth to market:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/01/21/namm2016-dave-smith-instruments-ob6/

I like what I'm hearing. I didn't buy the P6, but have the P12. I might find the OB-6 to spice up the collection a bit more than getting a P6, even though the P6 does sound a bit different from the P12 and P08.

Sounds like it's expected to be around $3K, which is just a bit more than the P6.

As Dave explains in the video (diplomatically), the collaboration effort makes it cost somewhat more (I'm going to guess licensing fees for the SEM filter etc., but also development and parts costs).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'd gladly give up two osc's if they would give me twin levers like a proper Obi. :(

Just find a used Oberheim XK @ebay and do a overhaul.

I´ve found one for cheap, replaced all the tact switches which was cheap too, did a reset and it worked.

I wanted it for my Xpander as well as Sonic Projects OPX-Pro II and it was cool I not only got levers but also the orig. arpeggiator and chord memory feature I knew from my OB-8.

Easy to play chords on one key and because it´s a MIDI masterkeyboard, it works w/ everything offering a MIDI input.

A.C.

The montage of the "bar video" decent footage suggests to me that real men can exchange coaster ideas without becoming nerds, which I dig. So, would someone understand the meaning of an adder cicuitt with a jack output schematic and a big "Oberheim" logo on the back ?

Those OSCs in the demo sure do an accurate phase integration over many seconds, beautiful. And the main thing: all these new demos make me crank up my big*ss monitoring and that sounds great. I mean really, like it should be, so is that a plot, or what ?

T.

I'm fairly certain they made it 4 octaves so that you cannot possibly play Jump on it.

[video:youtube]

Yes you can, yes you can, yes you can. :laugh:

Listen to 0.10 and join the dark side of synth history......the force is strong with this jump patch.....cannot RESISTTTTTTTT :mad:

Having started on piano, it took a bit, back when, to learn to live with a mere 5 octaves, but I came to decide that it was a reasonable compromise. If you come from being able to grab a melody with your right hand and render proper bass support on the left, yeah, 4 octaves can be a pinch. I use a 61-key workstation, a 4-octave USB controller with "full-sized" keys and an Xkey. I step between them based on the instrument sound at hand and its a happy rig. To be honest, many synth sounds are best within a certain range easily managed with 4 octaves. Synths can easily fill the spectrum, so often, three or four fingers are exactly the right count for the job. If the OB-6 was five octaves, the total frame would have to be exponentially larger. That's the sort of thing that makers have to consider in terms of price point, material costs and the projected lifespan of the thing on the market. There's a certain psychological wall to be accepted about the price. A great synth like this for $2999 will probably sell a fair number of units, but if it was $3300, many would never leave the stock room. So IMO, its a typically smart Smith move to build this on the Prophet-6 frame. That missing octave is small potatoes when contrasted with the fact that its a new OB-8 the same way the P-6 is a beefier P-5. I see a lot of gain in that. I hope a hefty crowd goes for it. I was going to say "jumps on it," but I realized how hoary that would be and bit my tongue. You're welcome.

"It ain't over 'til the fat despot sings."
     ~ "X-Men '97"

Oh man, I just drooled on my phone a little bit after hearing some of the OB-6 sounds. The matrix 6 I used to have, made some of the most wonderful sounds, and with 2 18" subs added into my rig, some of the sounds would give me goose bumps to play them. It had a limited repitoir, but what it did do was just incredible to me.

That missing octave is small potatoes when contrasted with the fact that its a new OB-8 ...

It´s NOT,- because the OB-8 had user selectable 2-pole and 4-pole LP filters already,- and then came the "page-2" update, already implementing some features you later found only in the Xpander and Matrix.

The OB-6 is more comparable to the old Oberheim OBX which you could order/buy, w/ 4, 6 or 8 voices.

The new OB-6 vs the OBX is a much more advanced synth functionality wise, even w/ 6 voices only.

And even I dislike 4 octave keyboards, that was not uncommon for Oberheim in the past.

The FVS-1 4-voice and 8-voice synths containing SEM modules also came w/ 4-oct. keyboards (the latter optional w/ a 49-keys and 61-keys synth dual manual action).

A.C.

Archived