Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GP Forum Back Alive!

Editor Boy

Dear Forum Users,

We apologize for discontinuing the Music Player Forums without advance notice or warning.

We've absolutely taken into account your disappointment, and, as a result, we are turning the forums back on in their current forms temporarily.

Please understand that we made the shutdown decision abruptly because we have serious security concerns with the hardware and software that houses the forums. Other sites in our group have been under almost constant attack from hackers trying to gain access and shut us down.

In addition, we have not had a direct business case for keeping the forums active, so it seemed quite reasonable from an operations standpoint to discontinue them and not have to worry about hackers or other security issues.

However, we agree with you all that we acted too fast.

Regarding the future of the forums, we promise to either build a business case and implement another hardware and software solution, or find another business that would be willing to house the archives and continue the forums.

We also promise to notify you in advance of any change in the status of the forums.

Thanks for all your feedback. We ARE listening.

Sincerely,

Bill Amstutz, VP, General Manager NewBay Music Group.

Michael Molenda, Editorial Director

Gino Robair, Editor, KEYBOARD

Sarah Jones, Editor, ELECTRONIC MUSICIAN

Chris Jisi, Editor, BASS PLAYER

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THANK YOU EDITOR BOY!!! I could not believe my eyes when I got the screen that said this forum was closed...it was so abrupt without at least giving us a chance to say good bye to each other. I will take this opportunity to say good bye to all my long time friends on the forum (just in case you change your mind again).

To the forumites: Thank you for being a major part of my life since I signed on back on 6/23/08. I have looked forward to our many conversations every day and can't express my love enough for our many friendships and conversations all of these years. I have learned so much from all of you and appreciate every tip and all of your guidance. I have never been on Twitter or Facebook, so I would never have been given the chance to say good bye if the Editors and Managers had not turned this forum back on. I appreciate this opportunity to make these comments. I hope they will change their minds and keep this forum going.

As to the business aspects, we have given free advertising and reviews both positive and negative on many guitars, pedals, PA's, equipment of all kinds. I have a hard time believing there is no advertising advantage to many of the manufactures out there that have benefited by our comments and reviews. Free advertising is what the net is all about and I would be surprised if all the manufactures and equipment exposure we have given them is not appreciated...

We have had many guitar playing friends come and go and some have died over the years. We love keeping their memories alive on the forum. I hope the powers that be find a sponsor for this forum. I've been checking several times every day to see if it would come back on line. I couldn't believe that our long time administrators and moderators would let this forum die without at least giving us a chance to say good bye! If they helped you guys make the decision to give us at least an explanation before signing us off in cyber space...Thank you to all involved in giving us this opportunity.

I pray this forum can survive and be continued. If not, I want all of my valued friends out there on the forum along with our thousands upon thousands or readers who read our comments, to remember us and I send my best wishes to all! I will truly miss you if the forum is abandoned again... :cry::cool::cheers::thu::2thu::wave:

Sincerely, Larry E. Zumwalt,

Guitar Player.

ps. If someone starts a new website, forum, etc., for our archives and members, please post it here and let us know where to find it! Love you guys!

Take care, Larryz

Thank you for such a considerate gesture, Mr. Molenda!

lightbulb.gif I would like to suggest that these Forums and their content at least be kept up as an archive; there is a LOT of VERY useful and good information and ideas here!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

So sorry to see this fine forum die. It was my first music forum and while I only had about 460 posts I still looked in almost every day and enjoyed all the great people and the wealth of information. Hopefully there will be a way to keep it going, I will miss everyone!

Bob

Please don't allow these forums to slip into the vast back hole of cyber space. As Kevin suggested, at least have them available as searchable archives. Thank you.

+Rod><>

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Regarding the future of the forums, we promise to either build a business case and implement another hardware and software solution, or find another business that would be willing to house the archives and continue the forums.

This is a possibility https://www.proboards.com/

This is a possibility https://www.proboards.com/

Furthermore, according to the FAQ's, info/data from this forum can be migrated into Pro Boards.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

I don't know if that means I could still get here by clicking on my "link" listed in my "favorites" or not if they move there, but anyting that preserves the status quo is fine by me.

Incidentally, to sort of beat LARRYZ to the punch, my e-mail address is cruzbruz@aol.com :)

Yeah, I also was shocked and quite "bummed" when I clicked on my link and was confronted with news of the shutdown! Coming here to this forum has been part of my morning "routine" for 15 years. I already posted in another thread that going to "fakebook" isn't a possibility for me, so I hope something better is worked out.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I already posted in another thread that going to "fakebook" isn't a possibility for me, so I hope something better is worked out.

Whitefang

I agree. I do not believe FB is a viable option to keep this community alive. For one, it simply is not organized into a forum format. For two, I take FB sabbaticals from time to time simply because I get tired of it. Therefore, I do plan to extinguish my FB presence at some point. But, debacles like this one is a good reason to keep it active because I remain in contact with some of you through FB.

Okay, we're back, for now, at least. It would have sucked to lose touch with all the good folks I've met in here. Still, I have taken the occasion to join the "Refugees" group on FB, because, well, "One never knows, do one?"

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Trippy to see all you guys again! Hello y'all!

Hey again, Big Red. I see you on Facebook more often than here!

Okay, we're back, for now, at least. It would have sucked to lose touch with all the good folks I've met in here. Still, I have taken the occasion to join the "Refugees" group on FB, because, well, "One never knows, do one?"

Uh-huh.

lightbulb.gif I would like to suggest that these Forums and their content at least be kept up as an archive; there is a LOT of VERY useful and good information and ideas here!

:thu: Agreed! Although my posts here have been very sporadic over the past few years, I still visit frequently. This was the first forum I ever joined and only 1 of 2 (TSN being the other) that I participate in. Yes, there is a ton a valuable information here and I have learned so much from the people here and those (many of the same folks) at TSN. Hope they are able to keep the doors open and the lights on here!

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

:thu: Agreed! Yes, there is a ton a valuable information here and I have learned so much from the people here. Hope they are able to keep the doors open and the lights on here!

+1. I would be very sad if this forum goes away.

If you play cool, you are cool.

If I understand this correctly, GP & publishers NEW MEDIA considered closing these forums b/c they're a lfinancial loss.

I gotta say that as the long-established leading gtr [& kboard, etc] oriented publication, the end of these forums would be equivalent of ending publication of ther periodical.

That is, the stupidest business decision that could be made.

d=halfnote

If I understand this correctly, GP & publishers NEW MEDIA considered closing these forums b/c they're a lfinancial loss.

I gotta say that as the long-established leading gtr [& kboard, etc] oriented publication, the end of these forums would be equivalent of ending publication of ther periodical.

Well, that, and- more directly- malicious attacks from hackers. That sort of thing severely damaged The String network Forums, which underwent similar downtime and rebuilding.

Please understand that we made the shutdown decision abruptly because we have serious security concerns with the hardware and software that houses the forums. Other sites in our group have been under almost constant attack from hackers trying to gain access and shut us down.

I am basically an easy going person, but as far as malicious hackers are concerned, especially ones whose only motivation is to screw things up for other people,

"HANG 'EM HIGH".

Agreed. It's just vandalism and theft.

I have to say, I had similar thoughts. While I still get, and enjoy, the print magazine, this Forum allows us a more direct and dynamic way of interacting, not just as readers, essentially consumers, but as GUITARISTS!!!!! I've learned a lot from folks in here, received some great advice, gotten encouragement in rough times, and laughed my ass off at some of our exchanges. More important, I've appreciated the overall tone of conversation in this Forum. For the most part, we're respectful of one another, and our discussions, even when contentious, are usually thoughtful. There were several recent threads that might easily have exploded, but somehow, we managed our way through.

Re-tooling the Forums to address security issues makes good sense, just let us know when, and hang an "Excuse Our Dust, While We Make Some Improvements" sign on the door. Shutting down without warning just punishes GP's most active and involved audience, and in a way, the hackers win, by shutting down a valuable resource: Doubleplusnotgood.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I apologize for not reading more carefully & missing the mention of hackers in Mike Molenda's statement.

Just wanted to emphasize that point...

but also the one that these forums, esp this one, should be beyond the consideration of being closed.

d=halfnote

I've been less active of late, so I totally missed the shut-down and re-opening. Reading this thread has made me realize the amount of time and effort I've put in here, and the many people I've encountered, who I will miss if it ever goes away completely.

That's beyond my power to affect either way, but just in case it should go the way of all flesh, I do want to say to all of you guys that I am indeed grateful for the fellowship and fun I've had here, and wish you all great fortune in your musical endeavors, long life and happiness, and most of all, God's blessing on your lives.

In the words of the apostle, grace and peace to you from God the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. And keep on playing that gee-tar!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I've been less active of late, so I totally missed the shut-down and re-opening. Reading this thread has made me realize the amount of time and effort I've put in here, and the many people I've encountered, who I will miss if it ever goes away completely.

That's beyond my power to affect either way, but just in case it should go the way of all flesh, I do want to say to all of you guys that I am indeed grateful for the fellowship and fun I've had here, and wish you all great fortune in your musical endeavors, long life and happiness, and most of all, God's blessing on your lives.

In the words of the apostle, grace and peace to you from God the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. And keep on playing that gee-tar!

Thank You for that Picker. The feeling is mutual.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Archived