Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Duplicating your live rig for home practice

humannoyed

I wonder how many of you practice on one setup at home and use another on the gig? I do this and I presume some of you do as well because of issues of setup space or perhaps just the hassle of having to breakdown and re-set up so much.

I am thinking however, that it is important to duplicate our live setup for practice if we are going to feel comfortable and be able to use our equipment well, especially if we are using more than one keyboard and more sounds than just basic piano, organ, EP and clav, or even just those if using them in different combinations on the fly.

For some of us this could get rather expensive very quickly if for instance you duplicate a Kronos 88, PC3K7, and SK-2 for your practice space just to avoid the hassle of constant break down and setup :grin:

It doesnt however need to get too expensive if you can find workarounds for at least a similar if not identical setup. Similar is okay for physical layout of keyboards and pedals and using keyboards with similar feeling action to your live boards. Similar is also okay for approximate patches to those you use live. Identical is important if you have complex keyboard, pedal and controller assignments that require quick program changes and good memory of what is controlling what. I personally have never done complex setups like that but can really appreciate those of you who do. I know you who do put hours of work into it that is rarely appreciated by those you work with or perform for! I feel certain many of you have already figured out how to replicate your rig in your practice space or really do go through the extra hassle of setting everything up and breaking it down constantly.

My performing life has been much more simple. At home I have my Motif ES8 set up next to my laptop and studio monitor speakers. This rig doesnt move and is my setup for learning song material for church or for material with bands that I am gigging with. I use Soundforge (yes, love it!) to learn all material that is not on a printed page (one of my church gigs is all reading and the other is all ear). I take no keyboards to church, and play only the organs and piano provided.

For my live rig I have a Yamaha CP33 and Motif ES rack for gigs that call for a single keyboard. However, I have just started using a two keyboard rig again in a new band situation so have added a Kurz PC361 to the above rig.

So, heres the problemI have only played out with a single keyboard rig for several years and it amazed me that simply adding another keyboard to my live rig quickly threw me out of my comfort zone that I had been in of just playing music and not thinking about equipment! Of course the Kurz is a deep board, not just a simple preset machine like the CP33. Using the Kurzs midi-in in setup mode it is capable of complex setups between my two keyboards and my Motif rack if I so dare. Part of me is enjoying the challenge of covering some different key parts and not just playing piano and organ, as much as I love to do only that! (I think I need a challenge like this right now as I fight SAG - slow advancing geezeritis -see Toms turning 60 thread already there!). Getting thrown from my comfort zone was actually the impetus for my writing this post.

Ideally the key action on your practice rig would be identical or near so as your live rig keyboards. So for instance if you played out with a Casio PX5S, you might have another Casio slab model at home to practice on that has the same or near same action. If you gig with a Yamaha CP4 you might use an older Yamaha board with similar action.

. Whatever works for you is fine, the goal being that when you get to the gig you feel as at home with your gig setup as you would feel practicing at the house. Then you can concentrate on the music and the equipment becomes secondary and not a hindrance.

So how much equipment do you set back up after the gig, and what do you leave packed away?

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a home only Yamaha S90 Es and home only Proteus Module at home just like on my stage rig. Don't get out my second kybd Motif XF6 for home much. It's great to have the home rig. I bought S90Es 2 when I almost got hit by an airplane. It was a bucket list item id been putting off and almost dying that made me take action quick . Live the dream. .

My current rig (very basic) is my Roland E-16. It has the built in speakers, so no worries with setting up amps and stuff here at home. That, my X Stand and sustain pedal as well as head-phones go with me when I leave the house (the music stand is generally detached but available if needed).

Our sound guy and the other band members pretty much show me where to set up and plug in the power supply, but they take care of my cables out to the mixer. Practice is mostly at my house when hubby is not home or over at one of their apartments.

In the case of just rehearsal, I just use my built in speakers.

The reason I am shopping for something smaller and more versatile is because I am also teetering on geezerdom (59 next month) and with winter, the snow and the ice, I want something easier and lighter to haul around so that I can concentrate on being able to see my feet where I step.

:laugh:

As for computer, our sound guy and other guys have that available for me to use when I get to wherever, so the little one I am hoping to get will work with or without. Yes, it means having to remember a second set of banks, patches and settings, but that jiggling of my brain cells should keep everything in running order without getting them too rusty.

:)

I've been gigging from the 80s. I've done the racks and flight cases and midi modules thing. I tried the controller and computer route.

I'm down to one keyboard and only do all live work - no sequences required. I use the same keyboard at home or at a gig - a Roland Juno Stage, lightweight, 76 keys semi-weighted.

My other work is piano based and isn't an issue - I'll play what's there.

(I may get a PX5s or the Forte7 - early next year)

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

I use PCs and rackmount analog synths since the mid 90s.

Whatever is needed I rack up and use.

Also have 3 x 88 note controllers and 3 x stands.

Usually only have 2 rigs running but right now have all 3 set up.

One is for home use the other 2 set up at pre production in Nashville and STL.

Never knew about this facility in STL.

Utopia something or other.18 x 18 room for 175 monthly......!!!

Cant wait to move back to Vegas.

Have to work my ass off out here just to make what I can in Vegas for just driving down the street.

All I do is drag my XITE-1 DSP Rack and Solaris to each facility.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Same rig everywhere, right down to monitoring through the K10. I have duplicates of some of it. It's based around the Kronos 61, which is where all the sounds come from. Lower tier is a Roland A70' controller, and live, the stand is an Apex. I have duplicate stands and controllers. A deltex stand and A70 stays set up at practice space, a standtastic and Triton Pro (used just as a controller) stay set up at home. My gig A70 and Apex go in the mud room between gigs or with me to rehearsals with any other bands. The Kronos, cable bag, and K10 move around.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I play in two different towns, separated by an airplane ride.

Two identical rigs (Nord Piano 2, Electro 4D, Spider-Pro stand, SSv3). Identical down to the cables, voices and presets. About as stress-free as it gets.

Diversity is not my friend when it comes to gig rigs.

-- Chuck

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

My live and home rigs are very similar. Live I use a Yamaha S70XS and Roland Fantom X7. If stage space and setup/teardown time permit, I add a Hammond XK-3C and Vent combo. At home, I have a Yamaha S90ES that used to be in my live rig and a second Fantom X7 outfitted with the same expansion boards as the first. Since the X7s are identical and there's a lot of overlap between the Yammies, it's pretty efficient to rehearse and dial up sounds at home, then transfer them to the live rig. And it saves toting my live rig up 2 flights of stairs to rehearse.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Usually I only bring my FA08 in for learning songs and programming the sounds I need, but for my Floyd band it normally involves setting up 4 keyboards. Yes, it's a pita when I set them up on Sunday after a Saturday gig and then break them down for a Tuesday rehearsal, but that's how it is. I have a nice little nook in my basement to set up, but it's not good for setting up the gear how I use it on stage. I have a computer desk I built that holds an 88 note board, and to the right I have an old A frame type desk a friend gave me that has a 2nd tier, I have to put my SK1 on that, and the Ultranova on the 2nd tier. The Moog goes on an X stand at an angle between the 2 desks. It's fine for programming and learning parts but not for getting the muscle memory down I need to switch between keyboards. So, when I am in the final stages before a show, I set the rig up in my weightlifting area which is the only place big enough to fit it all the way it is set live.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Regarding set up space, I used to have to lug all of my stuff up to the 3rd floor to set up for learning songs and programming sounds. Talk about a PITA! Since the divorce, I set up wherever I damn well please! For a while I was setting up in the living room next to the stereo so I could play the songs through it that I was learning. Lately though, I've been setting up in the dining room because there's enough space to leave the aforementioned partial rig set up all the time.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I have at least triplicate stands, cables, pedals, and amps where needed. I then just bring in my NS2 or NE5 for learning songs at home, and at the band rehearsal space. I use basically the same keyboard for live gigs and rehearsal, but have all the other stuff mirrored. I typically use my IEMs and a bit more robust rack rig only at gigs. Otherwise, it's just plug and play at each location with the keyboard of my choice. I also have plenty of other gear for learning music (Hammond, CP-70, etc.) should I choose to not bother with the stage keyboard.

My life changed when I bought a second PC3K for my studio. I do 5-8 gigs almost every week and leave my gear in the truck all the time, so it's really impractical to get it out and set it up at the studio.

Now I'm doing so much more with custom sounds and setups 'cause I can just do my work on the studio PC3K, copy it to USB then load it into the live 'board. I can see why Mainstage and a laptop would sure work great in this respect, too.

I've always had duplicates of everything going back to my B3 / EP days. I had a modified gig B3 and another in my basement. I was always selling and rebuying the home one.

Very few keyboards or outboard equipment I've used over the years didn't have a backup. But thats just me. Belt and suspenders.

Only recently since moving have I gotten down to 1 each of a Roland BK9 and Casio Privia 350. I also have the Bk7m module for a backup.

And of course two PS systems, one for the gigs and one in the home studio.

One reason I really like VST instruments...decent controllers are cheap compared to full-function boards. I schlep my laptop between home and the reherasal room/gig so I just need duplicate controllers. Any tweaks I make at home are to the laptop settings so will automatically apply to the gig rig.

My life changed when I bought a second PC3K for my studio. I do 5-8 gigs almost every week and leave my gear in the truck all the time, so it's really impractical to get it out and set it up at the studio.

Now I'm doing so much more with custom sounds and setups 'cause I can just do my work on the studio PC3K, copy it to USB then load it into the live 'board. I can see why Mainstage and a laptop would sure work great in this respect, too.

5 to 8 gigs a week. wow, I'm envious. May I ask what types of music you play?

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

I bought my Kurz pc3le8 because I thought it would be like the SP4-8 at church. two weeks ago I brought the church's keyboard home for practice because it's just too different from what I have at home. Sure would be easier if I had an identical setup at home. Since this thread touches on geezerism, I turn 60 next month too. I probably should have posted to Tom's thread also. ~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

Since music for me is not my main source of income, a dual rig would be a nice thing, but expensive. I play my acoustic piano and an old Casio battery powered keyboard to keep my chops up. I could set up a home rig with my PX3 ( replaced by the PX-5S I gig with) but since my top keyboard is a Korg CX3 (analog), that would be tough to duplicate.

If I did any recording or were more serious, I would spring for a dual rig. I would get a benefit practicing as the practice and live rig would be the same. We rehearse at the guitar player's house, so I have to shlep stuff to rehearsal anyways ( just my PX-5S though... leave the Korg home).

For a musician that gigs more often and makes their living that way, I would think there would be a ton of benefit to an identical rig permanently at home!

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

One reason I really like VST instruments...decent controllers are cheap compared to full-function boards. I schlep my laptop between home and the reherasal room/gig so I just need duplicate controllers. Any tweaks I make at home are to the laptop settings so will automatically apply to the gig rig.

Absolutely - when I heard the quality of sounds i thought "this is it" and went with a VST set-up and controller.

(I'm back with hardware though - it's just easier for the live work I get)

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

This is whats really great about having it at home! My stage S90Es was in the shop for 6 weeks so haven't been practicing much as my home S90ESwas in the case. It's great to have it I hate setting up to practice . Walk in , plug in and go. I also have a line 6 pod live for home use and completely separate home PA system that's not usually used on gigs. The stage guitar rig is totally different , Mesa Boogie MK4 and Rockman chorus. Again, don't want to set it up at home. Starting to get back to practicing. I tried playing my RD-500 while the S90Es was in the shop but I can't play those semi weighted keys anymore. It's funny when you go back to your old keyboard I can't believe I used to enjoy playing that keybed. Though I always and still like the sound - my RD-500s need to go.

I'm doing the same thing as J. Dan (at least his first post in this thread, not the second - I'm not divorced... yet :( ). All sounds coming from Kronos2 61, which I carry back and forth with a bag of cables, Vent, etc. Duplicate bottom controller and a close enough stand at home. It's a huge time saver.
"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

Ya know brother if I was still out shuckin it with band rehearsals (which was never at my house :( ) It would be really hard not to grab a decent controller, an Ipad and head out! Lol!

Truth is, it depends on what you gig is. Are you pulling alot of patches in a tune or are you straight piano/organ man with a few pads for choruses?

I was usually always in the first deal. Shytin out different patches, splits ect all the time. For that theres really no replacing what you gig with. Man, sometimes you gotta be fast and accurate with the buttons your mashin. One wrong button and...BAM! Brick wall! Lol!

If your doing alot of bank switching, nothing beats seeing how the cars handling before you take her to the track. If you just use a few patches, where's that Ipad and a bookbag..And yes I have no problem running through the rehearsal P.A. too. ;)

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

I was usually always in the first deal. Shytin out different patches, splits ect all the time. For that theres really no replacing what you gig with. Man, sometimes you gotta be fast and accurate with the buttons your mashin. One wrong button and...BAM! Brick wall! Lol!

I am a little bit of both but sometimes only having two beats to change the patch can be a bit challenging, but I manage to get it done, but yeah, goodness help me if I hit the wrong buttons!

:whistle:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has an identical practice rig at home which matches the gig rig. Thought I was the Queen of Overkill. ;) But since about half the battle is getting the kinetic memory locked in with quick multiple patch changes, it has been very worthwhile. And having the gig bags packed and ready to go minimizes the chance of forgetting to bring something critical.

In our rehersal studio i use a Nord Stage and HX3 / xb2.

At home a Kawai MP8 (incl. Garritan CFX) and the Numa organ.

Since I only use the Nord for pianos and controler functions it is a very easy way to properly practice at home in a somewhat similar fashion.

The Integra7 is the only equipment that sees both our rehersal studio and home.

When i bring the Integra7 to rehersals, every cable is connected, so it takes a few seconds to install.

I have a couple of modules lying around (EMU, Blofeld) but it has been at least two years that i used either one of them.

And i have installed/bought a couple of apps, just for fun.

I accepted that the current enhancements in newer equipment are so neglectable in a loud band context, that i have focussed more on playing / programming than ever before instaed of lusting after the next best option available.

I am a disciple of J. Dan (yes again). My rig has a Nord Stage 2 as a brain, and everything else is duplicated (lower tier controller, stand, pedals). I carry the Nord between rehearsal and home, and transport my home rig to gigs.

@Humannoyed, if you think of your PC361 as the brain of your rig, you will see that you have near-duplicates of the other components (Motif ES8= CP33 + Motif ES rack? Sort of!). If you line up key presets between the two Motifs (Motives?), and put the ES8/CP33 in Local Off, you could use the Kurz to route its own 61 keybed, and the 88 (CP33 or ES8), to any of the Kurz sounds or the Motif sounds.

That way you could just haul the PC361 around, and leave the other rigs set up.

I don't know Yammie well enough to know, for example, if there are any sounds in CP33 not available elsewhere - and if those are essential to you. But it might work "well enough" if you're interested in pursuing further...

Cheers, Mike.

I keep an empty stand in my home music room, with power cables, audio cables, and a set of sustain and expression pedals hooked up. I just move my Nord Electro and Lead in and play through the music room sound system (Yamaha mixer and two Peavey KB100s) when I work on band stuff at home. Much cheaper than two gigable keyboards. The Nords back up to a computer in the same room.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

@Humannoyed, if you think of your PC361 as the brain of your rig, you will see that you have near-duplicates of the other components (Motif ES8= CP33 + Motif ES rack? Sort of!). If you line up key presets between the two Motifs (Motives?), and put the ES8/CP33 in Local Off, you could use the Kurz to route its own 61 keybed, and the 88 (CP33 or ES8), to any of the Kurz sounds or the Motif sounds.

That way you could just haul the PC361 around, and leave the other rigs set up.

I don't know Yammie well enough to know, for example, if there are any sounds in CP33 not available elsewhere - and if those are essential to you. But it might work "well enough" if you're interested in pursuing further...

Cheers, Mike.

Yes, that's the plan, though I plan to not turn local off on the CP33 when performing if I can help it, just pull the volume down manually on it or send a volume mute command to it from a setup in the Kurz. The CP33s strongest point is it's AP, better than the ES rack or Kurz. I will keep that patch handy as a backup during the gig in case I train wreck with patch changes, or have a midi glitch.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Archived