Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar

Dave Bryce

I'm sorry , I just assumed everyone knew what the expander was ,

but yea , that's it . solidly built , real drawbars ,stereo outs

and an 11 pin leslie plug

bill

It would probably been more obvious if it was capitalized (KeyB Expander) so as to be evident it was the proper name of the make/model.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am beginning to think that keyb anything is all a mirage. Can't seem to get any info about buying any of their products. Would like to know if anyone has been successful at actually getting one in the past year. Bill Bosco please contact me at 53jjg@comcast.net.

Send a note to Elvio and he might arrange for a direct purchase. I inquired with him a year ago and he was willing to deal directly due to the Davis Muller fiasco. I believe the price was somewhere around $1100 plus shipping. I found an XM2/XMc2 at a fraction of the cost in mint condition and purchased that instead.

elviopreviati@keyborgan.com

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Dont own a KeyB but I have heard fellow KC forumite DazzJazz playing his KeyB live on several ocassions. Some excellent examples of how the KeyB sounds are up on DazzJazz's Website

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

DB going to be running Crumar North American operations?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I probably shouldn't have posted that.

I was just kidding.... Go Raiders!

The my favorite looking product out of that stable was the Hamichord. If the Crumar regime establishes US distribution I wonder if that product can become economically feasible.

Gentlemen -

If you would be so kind as to keep this thread on topic, I'd be grateful. If you wanna talk about KeyB, please start another thread.

Hey, you were the one that started the stuff about the unladen swallows. :P

;)

Does Guido (of GSi fame) have anything to do with Crumar, or did he at some point? I'm getting old and can't remember anymore!

I don't see an answer to your question, so here it is.

Simply, Guido Scognamiglio of Genuine Soundware and Instruments (GSi - get the name?) is the same Guido of Crumar (but different than the Guido of Neo Instruments that makes the Ventilator!). The Burn is actually a GSi product because as I recall Guido putting it, they liked it that way. The DMC-122 is also branded as a GSi product. Meanwhile, the Mojo is branded as a Crumar product. But when you click to Buy Now of either of these GSi hardware products, it takes you to the Crumar store page.

Clear as mud, right? ;)

I think the short answer is GSi and Crumar are basically the same company with different names and perhaps focus. Andrea may not technically be part of GSi, but I'm not certain of that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

In the end, that was one reason I switched to the SK2 (the others being preferring the feel of the keybed and the increased flexibility in MIDI control).

My only complaint is shared by others...the keybed is a bit "springy". I recently got to play a H-S SK-2, and while I did not care for the interface or single set of drawbars, I did find the keybed more to my liking for an organ.

Here's what the GSI website says about the keybeds:

Q: What kind of keybed is mounted on the DMC-122?

A: The DMC-122 is equipped with two 61-key "waterfall" semi-weighted keybeds manufactured by Fatar model "TP-8o" where the letter 'o' stands for 'organ'. You can see the specs on their web page at:

http://www.fatar.com/pages/TP_8O.htm

This is an industry standard that you will find on many other instruments such as the Crumar Mojo, some of the Nord Electro and C series, the Hammond-Suzuki SK series, the Korg CX/BX series and many others.

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=support&q=80#Q80

I like the SK keybed and was thinking of getting a DMC-122. Now you guys have me worried.

Not exactly. Only the US, starting next month. :)

dB

Only US... any chance Los Angeles ?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Not exactly. Only the US, starting next month. :)

Thanks so much for all the feedback, guys - it was very helpful. :thu:

dB

Awesome! :2thu:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

So Dave, are you saying there will be a way to order from US-stocked inventory? We have Ken Hall here in Canada for service issues but still have to order from Italy.

Here for the gear.

Thanks, guys! Should be some fun.

Look forward to hearing a demo of the Mojo through the SSv3.

I heard that combo at Musik Messe. Sounded absolutely killer.

So Dave, are you saying there will be a way to order from US-stocked inventory? We have Ken Hall here in Canada for service issues but still have to order from Italy.

Crumar will not keep stock in the US - they will still ship right to the end user from Italy. There is no plan to change that...nor should they, IMO. This way the stuff only travels once. Better for everyone.

Three of the other manufacturers I work with do the same thing. The traditional distribution model seems headed for retirement.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Three of the other manufacturers I work with do the same thing. The traditional distribution model seems headed for retirement.

dB

I doubt the likes of Yamaha are going to abandon the distributor retailer model anytime soon.

But the manufacturer direct model opens up a global market to boutique manufacturers such as Crumar. To maximise the potential of the direct to customer model manufacturers need a product champion (yourself in the US) in each major market and local appointed service agents. The direct model also means the distributor and retailer margins are eliminated so the customer gets much better value for money.

Shipping stuff overseas for repair is just too much of hassle for the average customer. On the odd occasion that I buy anything over $1k from overseas I only do so if there are local service agents.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I doubt the likes of Yamaha are going to abandon the distributor retailer model anytime soon.

Agreed....but you'd be surprised at how many of them have their toe in the water. Certainly the ones that sell software do.

Also, the retailer is a different thing than the distributor. Retailers still certainly provide value to the supply chain. Distributors, not as much as they used to.

But the manufacturer direct model opens up a global market to boutique manufacturers such as Crumar. To maximise the potential of the direct to customer model manufacturers need a product champion (yourself in the US) in each major market and local appointed service agents. The direct model also means the distributor and retailer margins are eliminated so the customer gets much better value for money.

Shipping stuff overseas for repair is just too much of hassle for the average customer. On the odd occasion that I buy anything over $1k from overseas I only do so if there are local service agents.

You've basically described the model more and more smaller manufacturers are turning to in one form or another. Several of the manufacturers I work with still sell through dealers...but they ship right to the dealers from their factory - no distributor warehouse in the US or many other countries.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Dell had the direct to customer model nailed out here. For support they would first do a remote connection, if they could fix in this session all good, or if they were satisfied it was a hardware issue then a tech was at your door next day.

Crumar is only a short step away from doing something similar with the Mojo, add a network port and a remote access software utility. If there is an issue the user plugs the Mojo into their home network, tells Crumar the Mojo's IP, and Crumar hop on and diagnose and fix as required.

Korg could probably do something similar with the Kronos if they were so minded.

So, what's the comparison between Crumar Mojo and KeyB going to be like now that KeyB have released the Legend? Is it much different than their previous models, layout aside?

Which is going to be more flexible for tailoring the sound of the B3 your trying to emulate? I think the Legend has 3 different tone wheel sets...right?

Legend has 3, at last count Mojo had 21 I think.
Of course, you can add more to the Mojo including your own (if you have the gear).

Archived