Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stereo amps and powered speakers -do players here prefer it?

Longtcopp

Hi there. I tried to search for this but I didn't come up with any specific threads.

Just got my first stage piano in a while and I'm currently looking for the best way to amplify it for gigs with a roots/Americana band (pianos & organs, mostly),playing small to medium rooms, ocassionally a large house. Anyway, it seems like a lot of the sounds make use of stereo effects. When I was last playing, we plugged into a band PA or a mono amp and that was it. It seems nowadays more people are playing into stereo amps or a pair of stereo speakeys for FOH sound. Is this true? If so, or not, do you have any recommendations for an amp or speaker(s) that could do a good job with bother piano and organ? Sorry that this is probably a perennial question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CC

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you will get some mixed opinions, but the fact is unless the listener is in the "sweet spot" between the speakers, running in stereo causes more harm than good. If a listener is in front of one speaker and far away from the other the whole stereo effect goes to pot.

So in really small rooms you may be able to get away with it -- in larger venues not so much, unless they are wired for sound like a movie theatre. :)

Sven's busy right now, so I'll fill in....

clonk

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Hi there too,

It all depends on taste and if it is the single amplication you're using. Small to medium places without running into the foh.

I personally prefer a single stereo amp, because your sound is more 'in one place' when you play in a band with other competing instruments for overlapping frequencies.

Many who play in small jazz trio's use two active speakers.......

My experiences in a pop/rock formation were much better with a single stereo amp, because i could never find a sweet spot between two stacks more or less besides/behind me.

I use a

Motion Sound KP500SN and totally love it. The company is broke so it would be difficult to find one, but the spacestation seems to be a very good choice also.

Currently there is an ongoing topic about those amps....... could be very well what you are looking for.

But as always trying out both possibilities is the best way to decide what is good for your ears and overall band sound

Good luck !

I guess I just assume that everyone here has been following the SpaceStation V3 thread, but apparently not. Check it out, Long. I've been using this excellent and I think actually revolutionary stereo amp for the last couple of months and I couldn't be much more impressed than I am. 40 pounds, clear and clean and loud and three-dimensional. Better than powered monitors because the sound is dispersed in a wider way, so the 'sweet spot' is basically everywhere, including on the stage.

There's a review this month in Keyboard Magazine. Be warned, though--if you play with one of these things you will become a bore amongst all your keyboard playing friends...until they try it.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Keep in mind that with rare exceptions, digital piano samples are sampled in stereo from the audio perspective of the piano player (recording mics set up slightly behind and above the piano keyboard). So when you play in stereo, you hear the low notes primarily in the left stereo field, and the hi notes primarily in the right stereo field.

This is fine when you have your stereo speakers set up on either side of you and you are the only one listening. If you play this kind of stereo samples in speakers set up on either side of your stage, the audience on the left side will hear more low notes, and the audience on the right side will hear more hi notes.

In such a situation, it makes more sense to play in mono than in stereo. In mono, all audience members will hear both hi and lo notes with equal strength.

Some digital pianos (some korg models, I think) have some alternative stereo samples - including stereo samples recorded by setting up left and right microphones out in the audience. With these kind of stereo samples, you can amplify your stereo sound with speakers set up on either side of the stage, and your piano will sound normal to your audience.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

It's not as if the stereo "sweet spot" is that small, but the new SS3 Stereo powered speaker is all the rage today , with a huge sweet spot that's everywhere - even in the next room!, which is bloody amazing frankly.

Brett

From what I've read, there's pretty much consensus around here that Roland KC amps are the way to go.

:roll:

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Amps, I found...including the one on the space station. Stereo vs. mono...couldn't find anything. Can you show me? Don't know if you've tried it, but the search function kinda sucks, DD. It returns a lot of un related results and a curious amount of "I hate Guitar Center," threads. There's a lot of criticism of that problem that I was able to find. Anyway, can you point me to an earlier thread about the playing stereo vs. mono from the search function up top?

Amps, I found...including the one on the space station. Stereo vs. mono...couldn't find anything. Can you show me? Don't know if you've tried it, but the search function kinda sucks
Your best best for search is to use a internet search engine and point it at forums.musicplayer.com like so. You'll be able to tell which threads it returns are Keyboard Corner in the description.

powered speaker site:forums.musicplayer.com

P.S. Don't worry about the :poke: Consider it an initiation without the legal investigations. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks, everyone. Just looking for recommendations, so this was helpful. Thanks especially to those who took my question seriously rather than just whining.

Actually, I have one more question that should be less polarizing:

M-Audio Keystation Mini - the next Nord Stage 2 killer?

Thanks again,

CC

One more: Heard of The Googles, J.Dan. Apparently, if I follow your link, I find that they've never heard of someone polling a keyboard forum to see the prevalence of stereo monitoring among it's users. Or did you not follow your own link?

If you're gonna snark, try to game it out, man.

I guess I just assume that everyone here has been following the SpaceStation V3 thread, but apparently not. Check it out, Long. I've been using this excellent and I think actually revolutionary stereo amp for the last couple of months and I couldn't be much more impressed than I am. 40 pounds, clear and clean and loud and three-dimensional. Better than powered monitors because the sound is dispersed in a wider way, so the 'sweet spot' is basically everywhere, including on the stage.

There's a review this month in Keyboard Magazine. Be warned, though--if you play with one of these things you will become a bore amongst all your keyboard playing friends...until they try it.

Have you used it at any outdoor gigs yet? I play a lot of them and am wondering if it's loud enough to replace my 2 JBL 510 powered speakers.

As for the OP question, I've been playing in stereo since 1996, when I got out of bands and started doing a solo gig. I'm not concerned with sweet spots. If someone is on the far left they may not hear anything panned hard right as loudly as the people sitting on the right, but they still hear it, and I am convinced that it gives off a more spacious sound, and easier on the ears. Never short-change the human brain and it's ability to perceive. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/thumbsup.gif

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

my second gig with the SS3 was an outdoor party with 200-250 people, on a stage with drums, another keyboard (going through a KC500 and then into a P.A., bass, guitars and vocals. I was the only one not using the P.A. and the sound guy thought I was nuts till we started. I let other players play my rig on a few so I could walk around--my Sk1 was loud and clear and full, even 50 to 75 feet from the stage. When the Leslie sim kicked in, it was glorious.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

my second gig with the SS3 was an outdoor party with 200-250 people, on a stage with drums, another keyboard (going through a KC500 and then into a P.A., bass, guitars and vocals. I was the only one not using the P.A. and the sound guy thought I was nuts till we started. I let other players play my rig on a few so I could walk around--my Sk1 was loud and clear and full, even 50 to 75 feet from the stage. When the Leslie sim kicked in, it was glorious.

You are tempting me, sir!

(how's the bottom end?)

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I prefer stereo and yes separation is an issue. I went Mono in my old band (fairly recently) and it wasn't bad. But I did miss the details in the stereo image I must say!

I would not play in mono a few years ago but the posts hear convinced me to try it out. I was OK, gigged in mono for about 2 and half years dependent on the gig...

Back to stereo with a KP500SN now mostly. There are better sounding speakers to be honest...but to have it all in one semi-manageable amp from a single sound source really fit the bill for my type of gigging!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I always prefer playing in stereo, whether using my own on-stage amplification or playing through a stereo house PA. Even when rehearsing, too. Stereo just sounds better, period.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about some of the snarky responses you got.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Amps, I found...including the one on the space station. Stereo vs. mono...couldn't find anything. Can you show me? Don't know if you've tried it, but the search function kinda sucks, DD. It returns a lot of un related results and a curious amount of "I hate Guitar Center," threads. There's a lot of criticism of that problem that I was able to find. Anyway, can you point me to an earlier thread about the playing stereo vs. mono from the search function up top?

Noobs with attitude, gotta love them even more.......

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I'd watch the "I spend too much time playing" comments - there are some highly respected professionals on this board who have spent more time gigging with big names (or are big names themselves) than you might suspect.

Regarding your question: I currently run a Motion Sound KP-200S. Stereo amp, for stage reinforcement/monitor. I spent some time modifying my Neo Vent to accept a stereo input for the times when I'm not playing an organ patch, I run stereo cables from both boards, into the stereo amp. I run 1 (summed) XLR out to the main board because they're not running the mains in stereo.

So, the stereo and the extra effort it entails is just for me. Is it better? Well, the Leslie effects through the stereo amp are amazing, but more than 20 feet away you'd never notice the difference. The sound is great, and sometimes it's inspiring, but at the end of the day I'm not really sure it amounts to much more than a pisshole in the snow.

Welcome to the board.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Man, you guys can be a tough crowd. I thought the OP has a legitimate question, and I've had the exact same experiences searching for stuff here; even using google and pointing to the forum usually results in CFS (can't find shit). I don't recall getting this treatment when I joined, and I gotta tell ya, I'm feeling a little left out.

Anyway ... CC, what kind of gigs are you doing? Solo, duo, 4-piece, big band, rock, acoustic? I think it makes a difference in what would work best for you. General consensus around here though is that, for the most part, traditional keyboard amps abjectly suck at what they are marketed to do, unless you want to throw some big bucks. Much better solutions are available for much less $$$.

I'm in a duo, playing a CP4 (mostly AP's) with an acoustic guitar/elec bass player and we both sing. Because we play mostly small places, everything goes through the PA except the bass, which goes through his own head and cab. As long as we've been playing, I've been partial to using an 8-channel mixer into powered PA speakers. I've tried a bunch and most recently settled on a pair of Yamaha DBR-10's. But I did give a LOT of thought to the SS, and if it were just for me myself and not everything else, I would have gone with it instead of traditional cabs.

If you have a few hours with nothing better to do, I strongly suggest going through the SpaceStation thread, and Aspen's FAQ page. I think a lot of your questions might be answered.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

Noobs with attitude, gotta love them even more.......

The guy had a couple of questions... Can't we be nice around here? Sheesh.

+1

Archived