Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Justin Havu

On 8/7/2024 at 9:37 AM, cphollis said:

Since I've become a band leader, most of my purchases now are for band gear: sound, lights, etc.

I got started with Behringer gear: X32 rack, PM-16 mixing stations, powered hub, etc.  Lotsa bang for the buck!

Just got my A&H SQ 5, six of the ME-500 personal mixers, a powered hub and a digital stage box.  It's like night and day.  Every part of the experience is much, much better: the UI, the workflow, the packaging, the pre amps etc. -- and the SOUND! 

Once again, you don't know what you're missing until you hear it.

Untitled.jpg

I have an SQ6 as the hub of my studio/rehearsal space and it is an amazing piece of gear. It’s my main recording interface, as well as routing to monitors, etc. it sounds wonderful, the preamps are very transparent, and, other than occasionally cleaning the faders, I’ve had no issues with it whatsoever in the 6 years I’ve had it. 

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Just got a CK88 to replace the god-awful RD-88 EX, (thanks to Sweetwater for a smooth exchange!)  

GHS action is still a bit too heavy, so I'll have to make do with that, but the board sounds great (I'll never use the organ sounds, so no worries about that, lol).

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

1 hour ago, Justin Havu said:

Just got a CK88 to replace the god-awful RD-88 EX, (thanks to Sweetwater for a smooth exchange!)  

GHS action is still a bit too heavy, so I'll have to make do with that, but the board sounds great (I'll never use the organ sounds, so no worries about that, lol).

My son studies guitar at a local music store that has both the CK88 and CP88 on the floor. I play them both all the time, and I find myself preferring the action of the CK88 often. It feels a bit faster and lighter to me, but also a bit less refined.

• Like 2

Spent a few $ on the current Sampletekk sale. I'd been eyeing their pianos for a while, but was waiting for another sale. 90% off was pretty sweet so I splurged on the entire acoustic piano lineup (they have various mic positions labeled as different products, but there are "comprehensive" versions as well, which is what I went for). Only cost a bit over $41 for all of the following, which I think is a heck of a deal:

- WG2 MKII (the full version of the White Grand/Malmsjö with multiple mic positions, etc)

- TVBO (the full version of their Yamaha C7, multiple mics, etc)

- Black Grand MKII (the full version of their Steinway D)

- SSG Small Studio Grand (a 6'1" grand, not sure on the specifics)

- Rain Piano MKII (upright piano)

- Vertikal MKII (another upright piano)

- Singularis (mono piano recorded with "vintage" techniques - a specialty tool)

• Dislike 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

After a couple of years of hefty spending to get a live laptop-brained keyboard rig together as well as updating my acoustic guitar live gear as I move from full band to "chamber duo and trio" gigging, I content myself now with sale-season plugins these days. That has included a deeper dive into the Arturia catalog. I had a bad taste in my mouth with that quirky digital titan, mostly because Analog Lab can be such a frustrating ADVERTISEMENT for their instruments. It SHOULD be amazing--a preset player, yes, but with as many as 14 controller parameters per sound, and yet far too often the heavy handed effects are baked in, or deal-breaking envelope times are fixed.

BUT...I picked up their Solina and their Continental for a current songwriting project in which those retro sounds are on-topic and I am delighted with both. I don't care how historically accurate they are--they sound wonderful, they reamp beautifully, and furthermore they simply smoke anything in NI's not-terrible Retro Machines sample set. They are so much more vivid sounding. Then I picked up MiniFreak V and I am ultra delighted with that as well.  meanwhile, my upgrade cost on the whole V Collection has not budged...

Also, NI all but bullied me into upgrade Komplete, so now I am on a deep dive into Massive X and I see all the reasons for the love and the hate it receives. Super 8 is a pretty sweet little VA! The Play Series sets have not really impressed me, nor did my run through with Form make me think it was going to do much damage here. I haven't even installed Noire yet 'cause I am taking my time with this--savoring it I guess.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Screenshot_2024-08-20-19-17-46-466_com.wallapop.thumb.jpg.260e3ef570394fb212bc5c8a56d4eda8.jpg

Yes, I have got this little keyboard!. It is going to be the first Yamaha of my 3 y.o. grandson. I hope he likes it!

(I have got that unit, which comes with box, cable and manual, for just 15€. Its life will be tough, I guess!)

Got a Quadrasynth from 1994, with a couple of minor issues.  Pitch bend is a bit finicky, and so is the 4th Quad knob.  Need to replace the aftertouch strip as well, as one of the pins may have broken off.  Other than that, I love her!

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

10 minutes ago, Justin Havu said:

Got a Quadrasynth from 1994, with a couple of minor issues.  Pitch bend is a bit finicky, and so is the 4th Quad knob.  Need to replace the aftertouch strip as well, as one of the pins may have broken off.  Other than that, I love her!

Regular QS, no +Piano?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

9 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Regular QS, no +Piano?

dB

Regular QS, however it'll take a daughter board bringing it up to the +Piano specs.  That is if I can find one of those...

Hardware

Software

25 minutes ago, Justin Havu said:

Regular QS, however it'll take a daughter board bringing it up to the +Piano specs.  That is if I can find one of those...

I sincerely wish you luck on that.  Sorry I can't give you any insight there... :idk:

If that fails. see if you can find one of the original Bosendorfer expansion cards.  That piano was much better than it should have been.

dB

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

see if you can find one of the original Bosendorfer expansion cards.  That piano was much better than it should have been.

Was that the sample that came on the daughterboard, "Plus Piano", and the later QS range? If so, I found that it sounded nice solo, but very quickly got lost in a busy mix. I got the Jazz Piano expansion card for my QS which solved the problem.

Cheers Mike.

8 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Was that the sample that came on the daughterboard, "Plus Piano", and the later QS range?

Yes and no.

The Plus Piano daughter board was 8 MB.  The version that went in the QS series was carved down.  Here's why:

QS engine supported 32 MB. Quadrasynth Plus Piano took that up with 24MB of Wave ROM and one 8MB card slot.  QS series had only 16MB of Wave ROM and two 8 MB card slots, so the 8MB version of the Bosie had to be carved down to fit into the factory Wave Rom

If so, I found that it sounded nice solo, but very quickly got lost in a busy mix.

Depended on the mix, for me.  I typically tweaked it to fit when I used it on busier stuff.

I got the Jazz Piano expansion card for my QS which solved the problem.

Ah, yes.  The K. Kawai.  I loved both that and the Fazioli (Classical) QCard.  Still have both.

dB

In the wake of my finally getting a piano, I was planning to get an Aston Origin stereo pair when they become available.  But then a certain camera store in NYC offered a Spirit -- like the origin, except with three switchable polar patterns -- in a stereo pair for little more than the cost of a couple of origins.  My timing was right -- the price has since increased by about 40%.

The challenge now is to find best mic position(s) for my music room.

1721740602_IMG_2294311.jpg.29cc87bcbe336338870e0600ad39b651.jpg

• Like 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

1 hour ago, Tom Williams said:

In the wake of my finally getting a piano, I was planning to get an Aston Origin stereo pair when they become available.  But then a certain camera store in NYC offered a Spirit -- like the origin, except with three switchable polar patterns -- in a stereo pair for little more than the cost of a couple of origins.  My timing was right -- the price has since increased by about 40%.

The challenge now is to find best mic position(s) for my music room.

1721740602_IMG_2294311.jpg.29cc87bcbe336338870e0600ad39b651.jpg

Nice, I’ve read nothing but great reviews about those mics, I’m interested in your results.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ed A. said:

Arturia KeyLab mk3

image.thumb.jpeg.a9d02d6dfcea677d87a35d119bb0c9dc.jpeg

I use a KeyLab 61 Mk2 as a controller live, and I have to say I really like the looks and layout of the Mk3. But, by eliminating the buttons on the right side of the keyboard, below the faders, they eliminated the set of controls I use the most. I have the rightmost button set to all notes/all controllers off as a panic button, then the next buttons are are patch inc/dec, the rest turn parameters on and off within the patch. I could use the center buttons, but I'm really used to the current layout.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

3 hours ago, NewImprov said:

I use a KeyLab 61 Mk2 as a controller live, and I have to say I really like the looks and layout of the Mk3. But, by eliminating the buttons on the right side of the keyboard, below the faders, they eliminated the set of controls I use the most. I have the rightmost button set to all notes/all controllers off as a panic button, then the next buttons are are patch inc/dec, the rest turn parameters on and off within the patch. I could use the center buttons, but I'm really used to the current layout.

If it's any consolation, its new keybed feels similar to the best Fatar actions I've played, even though it's Arturia's own design. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I now have my second Invisible stand! Thanks jerrythek    !!!!

Garage Sale/KC Classifieds is great.

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

New toy in the studio!🙂

IMG_0784.thumb.jpg.5f14e62a129ae19600972a078e4d093e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Cool 2
  • Love 2

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

In my continuous search for an overdrive pedal that can make a clonewheel sound like the organs in this 37 second YT video, I have tried several and none have satisfied. They are all too buzzy and don't produce the soft crunch evident in the YT sample.  The latest I have tried (and returned) is a Vahlbruch Kaluna II. It is a high-voltage (250 VDC) tube overdrive with a 3-band EQ.  There is failing with many overdrive pedals, the Kaluna included, in that an increase in overdrive is accompanied by a decrease in bass.

• Like 1

Arrived last week:

Tama Superstar Classic maple kit in Sapphire lacebark pine.

received_491491780391482.thumb.jpeg.54b7a552935a3d4a608325310d884840.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Hardware

Software

I have just got this Roland A-800 PRO, used, at a reasonable price (132 EUR). I want to match it with my Gig Performer 5 laptop.

Besides some fading on the right top logo and model name, it seems in decent shape. I will check it in full soon, as I have 14 days to return it if not happy.

IMG_20240916_122119.thumb.jpg.1fe0e69cb039c550eda0a2bb8ffb506a.jpg

IMG_20240916_122133.thumb.jpg.51738559cc49ceb01f977fe0911efef8.jpg

IMG_20240916_122129.thumb.jpg.671222a6eb27c44c3d965f8b17ed1c93.jpg

IMG_20240916_122126.thumb.jpg.648deeec4b53854053a95d4989bc248b.jpg

IMG_20240916_122148.thumb.jpg.7c2b76be8533c66283681f71472f9d17.jpg

• Like 3

Screenshot_20240916_132013_com.android.chrome.jpg

All of the above...

(online order, showing up in the next 2-3 weeks or so)

• Like 2

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro