Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Justin Havu

22 hours ago, wineandkeyz said:

Be careful, David! When I got mine back in 2017, it almost completely cured my G.A.S. Nowadays, something new will come out, I'll go check it out in a store and... nope.

Congratulations and Happy Jupitering!

@wineandkeyz

So far I am blown away at how great the Jupiter 80 is as a performance synth.  

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

On 7/17/2024 at 9:14 AM, RABid said:

Found a nice deal on factory renewed Neumann NDH-20s. They are half the price that I paid for my NDH-30's. Feeling really lucky, and I'm done buying headphones for another 20 years.

Received factory renewed Neumann NDH 20 studio headphones in just two days from Alto Music via Amazon, after RABid kindly informed the forum that “Amazon has them as a Prime Deal for $266.66, $63 dollars cheaper than they were last week”. They seem as good as new judging by packaging, looks and performance, and will replace my aging Audio Technica ATH-M50s which I’ll move to my office cubicle.

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

On 7/17/2024 at 1:22 AM, EscapeRocks said:

I finally got a pristine Roland Jupiter 80. 

I had one of those. Built like a tank. Great action. Really good sound. My only complaint was cosmetic, those really strange category labels above the bank buttons. Accordion, Vibes, Oboe if I remember correctly. One thing I liked that I had not seen before. When playing splits, you could watch the screen to tell when you were getting close to the split point. That was a nice touch.

• Like 2

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

New instrument day take #2.   

Got a NI Kontrol S49 and NI Komplete Standard when it was on their big sale.    Well the S49 just wasn't working right just plugging it into any computer it kind of worked, but plugged into the computer with Native Access it would do everything expect send MIDI note data.    Still getting over whatever the hell illness I had wasn't in a hurry.  I contacted Sweetwater through my salesman and got some email support from a couple people that didn't know much. the one guy really did seem to know much of anything.   My salesman said to call  Tech Support they can handle it.    Then who was I talking to for the past few days???     Call Tech Support and then they had to call NI and wait for there response so turned into a long process go thing I wasn't in a hurry.    Finally they give up and send me a replacement S49 and things are working now.    To me I still think the problem might of be something went wrong with installing the NI software and I kept asking for a set of instruction on how to uninstall all the NI app and their config file and then do  a reinstall, but they ignored me the two times I asked them to do that.    So the replacement works or was it the replacement required running all the app installs again.    Oh well it works time to move on.   

• Cool 1

Posted about this in the Let's hear your music thread.

After much research and messaging/pestering some pretty heavy engineers, I took a leap of faith on the Crane Song Interstellar Quantum A/D Converter. It functions as a stand alone interface, via USB,  for my videos with my iPhone 14, without the use of a computer. I even had Crane Song run a test on it to be certain about IOS compatibility with iPhone/iPad before pulling the trigger.

But even after it arrived in the mail from Craig Calistro I had my fingers crossed. I hooked my JMK Audio preamps up to it, went USB out into my iPhone 14 and it worked perfectly first time, no fuss or complications.

Very happy with the sonic upgrade on my iPhone videos. Line sound on my two keyboards sounds great. Although one of my DPA 4011 mics is back in Denmark for service. So not recording my piano right now. Actually I sent the matched pair just to have them check the other one. Hopefully they can be repaired as opposed to have to be replaced. My 2009 4011 -TL model was discontinued in 2016 in favor of their now module/capsule format like the Schoeps mics.

D06A0D87-DEC1-46F6-A183-15E4A007E6EA_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

2024-07-2408_07_35.thumb.jpg.2838f4fc5f90606fa034575c339afea0.jpg

Just got an used VR-09 in mint conditions for less than 400,00 €  

I was looking for a 61 keys stage board for covering mostly organs, e. pianos and pads in a bunch of songs from our new album. 

We are a indie "singer-songwriter"-style band, we play mostly original songs. 

In all other ("old") songs I play the accordion, but we decided that, at least for the new album's songs, we want to play them in a richer way. 

So I was looking for a lightweight and small board, cheap and with decent bread-and-butter sounds (playing it in just 4/5 songs, mostly small venues, doesn't justify to bring out "heavy artillery")

My target was a used Yamaha CK-61... but in meantime this VR-09 appeared, 30km from home, at a great price (half the CK...).

More or less I knew what to expect: I always had Roland boards, I briefly had a FA-06 too which has the same (questionable) keybed, so I took the plunge.

I took it home the day before the next gig. Dedicated two hours to adjust the 3/4 sounds I needed and voila: ready for the gig.

All considered, and for the price I payed it I'm satisfied: 

• The worst element is the keybed: it's ok for playing hammond and synth, just passable for e. pianos (once you get used to it) and horrible for ac. pianos.
  • The organ sound, while not on par with the current clones, it's good enough for accompaniment.
  • The same for the e. pianos: I'll don't use it for a lounge jazzy night gig, but for standard background singer-songwriter songs it's ok
  • The synth/pad sound are warm and full: no complaint 
  • The acoustic pianos... well... this is the worst represented category, but you can have better results playing them from an external, better action, keyboard.
  • Other bread-and butter sounds: I just reviewed them briefly: nothing special, the usual Roland sound from 15 years ago (before Supernatural and before Zen-core): passable and usable in a generic live context.

Again: for the price it's a great Swiss Army knife.

• Like 7

My band: www.tupamaros.it
Our music:

Galanti Accordion + Voicelive Play | Roland FA-07 | GSI Gemini Rack | MIDI Drawbars controller (custom made) | IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro | Roland VR-09 

lots of secret button combinations to learn…remember the last time you fell asleep programming a synthesizer? It may be unavoidable with this little bugger that might make the perfect bedside companion that will likely get the spouse jealous.

Perhaps a good alternative and good detour away from a phone or tablet at bedtime. “See honey? It’s for my well being to reduce my screen time. A Therapeutic necessity that is well worth the expense”…right? 

Probably late September before it actually arrives. I should be able to perfect my above explanation by then.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2024 at 3:25 AM, Garubi said:

I was looking for a 61 keys stage board for covering mostly organs, e. pianos and pads in a bunch of songs from our new album. 

In all other ("old") songs I play the accordion, but we decided that, at least for the new album's songs, we want to play them in a richer way. 

So I was looking for a lightweight and small board, cheap and with decent bread-and-butter sounds (playing it in just 4/5 songs, mostly small venues, doesn't justify to bring out "heavy artillery")

My target was a used Yamaha CK-61... but in meantime this VR-09 appeared, 30km from home, at a great price (half the CK...).

More or less I knew what to expect: I always had Roland boards, I briefly had a FA-06 too which has the same (questionable) keybed, so I took the plunge.

I took it home the day before the next gig. Dedicated two hours to adjust the 3/4 sounds I needed and voila: ready for the gig.

• The worst element is the keybed: it's ok for playing hammond and synth, just passable for e. pianos (once you get used to it) and horrible for ac. pianos.
  • The organ sound, while not on par with the current clones, it's good enough for accompaniment.
  • The same for the e. pianos: I'll don't use it for a lounge jazzy night gig, but for standard background singer-songwriter songs it's ok
  • The acoustic pianos... well... this is the worst represented category, but you can have better results playing them from an external, better action, keyboard.
  • Other bread-and butter sounds: I just reviewed them briefly: nothing special, the usual Roland sound from 15 years ago (before Supernatural and before Zen-core): passable and usable in a generic live context.

It’s only 11 years old…I know because I preordered and waited 6 months for it to arrive. Been gigging it nearly every weekend. An absolute bullet proof machine. It does actually have supernatural flute, trumpet, sax, harmonica, maybe some others?

Agree though, that the AC Piano is very nearly unplayable imho. EP’s are pretty good, but have obvious velocity switches and few layers…three or maybe four, but really doubt that many. Decently pkayable, if ya really hold back and use the high velocity spank tastefully. 

I must disagree with the degradation of the organ. One of my groups is a Freddy King, Albert King type of blues band and I do VR09 organ for 90% of that gig and constantly get comments how great my Hammond sound is. I play the sh*t out of that thang… it’s my favorite gigging board. 

My other group is a 50’s, 60’s, ‘70 pop cover band that also does some semi modern country. Most of the night I get to use organ…really brings great emotion and dynamics to a few Garth Brooks and Toby Keith tunes. Again, I always get compliments on my “Hammond” sound.

I know this is not the right place to post and I hate to self promote, but here’s a good example on SoundCloud of the Supernatural Sax in the VR09. The Flute and Trumpet and with some practice, perhaps even the Harmonica all are nearly as enjoyable:

https://on.soundcloud.com/81mtwm6kGy1zueKz9

• Like 3

The VR09's organ is pretty competitive, and I can tolerate the AP. I've been disappointed with the EPs I've heard in the machine, but I think Franky's editor can unlock the "hidden VR730-only" EPs in it, which sound better. At the price, it's compelling.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2

Found an RD-64 for less than a grand out of Japan with a little knick on one of the corners - looks pretty mint otherwise. Thankful for eBay's buyer protection if something doesn't work right, but what a cool concept (and hotel keyboard so I don't have to unload half the trailer to do pre-gig touch ups!)

• Like 1

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

Still looking for the Holy Grail setup which helps me to play a solo act (solo because nobody else will stand it 🤣)

This is my last attempt, a Yamaha FGDP-50

FGDP50.thumb.webp.feb0adc3dc2ba0d1f1c4633c0f35b911.webp

It is now on offer at Thomann for just 225€ (VAT included) 👌 so I could not resist (I was going to buy it at 299€ but was unavailable for several months. Luckily!)

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2024 at 3:25 AM, Garubi said:

Very nice!   While I've retired my VR-09 from gigging, I still use to noodle on at home or to work out ideas.

You got a great board for that price!

Also, as someone above mentioned, check out Franky's editor for it.

• Like 2

David

I just picked up a new Radial KeyLargo.

The thing is SOLID, as are my other Radial boxes.

It will make my new gig setup very simple.

Also, it fits perfectly on my Fantom -08

I'm running the Jupiter 80 and Fantom into it.   The monitor output runs over to my RollsPM351, and the Main goes to FOH or Monitor desk.

It makes for a very clean, self-contained setup.  Perfect for our throw and go festival type shows.

I've tested the USB and it works great so I have that as well when I bring the MBP out for Mainstage or GigPerformer.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

David

Heh, I was doing something very similar with the monitor out(s) of my KL, except my Rolls is the P55MC (or similar).  If I recall, the perfect Rolls unit for me would have some features of each of those.  Mine doesn't have stereo for the mic input, but it does have a limiter.   Nowadays I've been using a Behringer p16m but only because we almost always use our PA and it's a Behringer with  ultranet.  Rolls is ready for other gigs though.

• Like 1

I run my mic into the PM351, and get a feed from FOH to the PM351. 

The usual places we play are happy to let me log into their boards and mix my own ears, which is just the rest of the band, since I have direct control of my vox and keys.  

Most shows I run the output of the PM351 into my Shure wireless ears. 

I have apps for most systems.    They just let me know what bus I’m on and all is well  

David

Same here, though at this point our gigs are 95% our PA.

My Rolls p55mp (looked it up) is almost the same as that 351, which I believe our bass player uses.   There's a couple differences, I would like a mixture of the two iirc if I could.   As you say, we all have different apps (or mix station) and if we can we get the wifi info from the sound company.  They are usually glad to have that off their plate.  The most elegant and flexible for a band (I'm only in one) would be to bring our own mixer and splitter(s) but as I say we do it pretty rarely now and that's quite an expense and more stuff to bring.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

The usual places we play are happy to let me log into their boards and mix my own ears, which is just the rest of the band, since I have direct control of my vox and keys.  

I have apps for most systems.    They just let me know what bus I’m on and all is well  

This is exactly what I've been doing lately, and I love love love it!

• Like 1

I bought, downloaded, and installed the EX expansion for my RD-2000.  I had already bought the German Concert V-Piano expansion, and that was credited to the expansion price, so it was just another $50 to get the upright and the general system upgrade.  The directions were NOT clear, so if anyone is doing this, feel free to ask for help ...

• Like 1

Whelp…a demo for Studiologic’s latest release, Numa Compact X SE popped up and I could not resist. This is my third unit of the series. I started with a Numa Compact demo, then a Compact 2X for the drawbars. Both of these developed a couple of overly sensitive keys that are super annoying…the G# above middle C on my 2X is avidly avoided when playing any velo-capable instrument…acoustic piano is the worst. But still a fantastic iOS organ controller. 

I’m already fully invested with the proprietary case with backpack straps and the fantastic long-throw expression pedal of the same brand so I’m gonna give it one more try with this latest rendition. I love the internal sounds of the previous two, except the fast rotary on the organ. This one appears to maybe have an improved sim, more polyphony, and more onboard sounds. Mono capability on the synths with adjustable portamento is a pretty huge improvement, too. Hopefully the keybed will be better and more durable, too. 

IMG_1305.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, ImproKeys said:

A Boss RC 505 mkII. 
I knew I would come back to loopers someday. 

Great!. I got not long ago an RC-600 but still waiting to give it a real go along my soon to arrive FGDP-50 and a MODX+/MONTAGE to begin with. Then I will add guitar...

• Like 1

Since I've become a band leader, most of my purchases now are for band gear: sound, lights, etc.

I got started with Behringer gear: X32 rack, PM-16 mixing stations, powered hub, etc.  Lotsa bang for the buck!

Just got my A&H SQ 5, six of the ME-500 personal mixers, a powered hub and a digital stage box.  It's like night and day.  Every part of the experience is much, much better: the UI, the workflow, the packaging, the pre amps etc. -- and the SOUND! 

Once again, you don't know what you're missing until you hear it.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

21 hours ago, cphollis said:

Since I've become a band leader, most of my purchases now are for band gear: sound, lights, etc.

I got started with Behringer gear: X32 rack, PM-16 mixing stations, powered hub, etc.  Lotsa bang for the buck!

Just got my A&H SQ 5, six of the ME-500 personal mixers, a powered hub and a digital stage box.  It's like night and day.  Every part of the experience is much, much better: the UI, the workflow, the packaging, the pre amps etc. -- and the SOUND! 

Once again, you don't know what you're missing until you hear it.

Untitled.jpg

Interesting!  So, sincerely, in a live situation, do you actually hear a significant difference in the quality of the sound via the SQ-5 compared to the Behringer X-32?  I sincerely want to know.  (I would be the 1st to acknowledge that “specs” never tell the whole story…. but the specs on some of the cheaper equipment seem very impressive.). I’m not in the position to buy / try different mixers to compare myself.  If there is an audible difference in quality, I’d sure like to know!

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

7 hours ago, cassdad said:

Interesting!  So, sincerely, in a live situation, do you actually hear a significant difference in the quality of the sound via the SQ-5 compared to the Behringer X-32?  I sincerely want to know.  (I would be the 1st to acknowledge that “specs” never tell the whole story…. but the specs on some of the cheaper equipment seem very impressive.). I’m not in the position to buy / try different mixers to compare myself.  If there is an audible difference in quality, I’d sure like to know!

So far, it's all been A/B testing between my X32 rig and the SQ5 -- not sure how much will translate once we get cranked up.  The pre amps are noticeably smoother, as I'd expect. The FX units are much better IMHO.  Less noise from the personal mixers.  If you're doing studio work, you'll notice the difference straight up.

• Like 2

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"