Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pronunciation of "ARP" Synthesizers

dje31

I'll continue to say Arp (rhymes with harp). And I'll continue to be just about the only person I personally know that pronounces Moog properly (like moe). Hell, even Jean Michel Jarre can't pronounce Moog correctly (maybe that's his intrinsic French hatred of Germans). But unless I hear from Allen P., Phillip Dodds, or anyone else who worked at ARP, I'll stick with what I know.

What's with this dogmatic stuff about pronouncing Moog that way?

In the Moog Documentary, BOB MOOG HIMSELF SAYS THAT IT CAN BE SAID BOTH WAYS.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It it CLAY-vee-uh, or CLAW-vee-uh? I've always assumed the latter because it sounds more like klavier.

Regarding the Synclavier? She's a beauty. :love:

http://www.failedmuso.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Synclavier-9600.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

NO NEED TO SHOUT.

When Bob introduced himself to people, how did he say his last name? If he said Mowg, it should be Mowg. If he said Moog, it should be Moog.

As someone with a last name that gets mispronounced more often than not, trust me when I say that anyone who says their name can be pronounced more than one way is just being diplomatic. I suspect at that point in his life Bob Moog had given up correcting people. It's better than bursting a blood vessel every time someone mispronounces your name.

As someone with a last name that gets mispronounced more often than not, trust me when I say that anyone who says their name can be pronounced more than one way is just being diplomatic. I suspect at that point in his life Bob Moog had given up correcting people. It's better than bursting a blood vessel every time someone mispronounces your name.

+100

I'm usually sufficiently happy if people say my first name correctly.

I'd like to know if it's O-B, or "awb."

Oh-Bee-Juan-Ken-Oh-Bee :wave:

"Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." Ornette Coleman

I'll continue to say Arp (rhymes with harp). And I'll continue to be just about the only person I personally know that pronounces Moog properly (like moe). Hell, even Jean Michel Jarre can't pronounce Moog correctly (maybe that's his intrinsic French hatred of Germans). But unless I hear from Allen P., Phillip Dodds, or anyone else who worked at ARP, I'll stick with what I know.

What's with this dogmatic stuff about pronouncing Moog that way?

Not quite. He notes at least three possible pronunciations, but says he chose moe-gh. Watch the first minute.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avt_Tn0DQcI

"Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." Ornette Coleman

Casio is pronounced like casserole (believe it or not, I've heard it pronounced Kahsio)

Kashio is the founders name. The company was named Casio to it would be easier for people to pronounce.

Unfortunately way to often I hear it pronounced Cazio.

So I've been wrong when I've been saying Catz-eee-oh?

;)

As far as Moog, I could swear that one of the reasons Bob and his wife went with Moe-g instead of Moo-g was because she was a schoolteacher and the kids would tease her about that. I haven't been able to find that interview though. I kind of think the first minute of the video above sort of confirms that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Something tells me that might be in the book Analog Days, which I have at home.

There is no w at the end of Yamaha

:laugh:

guess that depends where in the USA one might live

I do remember 20 years ago customers coming into Washington Music Center and asking to see the "Krog" keyboards :facepalm:

:nopity:

Not quite. He notes at least three possible pronunciations, but says he chose moe-gh. Watch the first minute.

I'm not surprised by that. My last name is originally German (five generations back). In Germany they pronounce it one way and here my family, generations before I was born, CHOSE to pronounce it another way that is much easier for English speakers. Although the German pronunciation is almost by definition the more proper one it's not the way generations of my family have pronounced it.

Whatever way the person bearing the name decides they want it pronounced is "correct". So the singer Sade pronounces her first (stage) name Sharday or Shahday (or reportedly something in between according to her tour manager;

) with the accent on the "day", Demi Moore's first name is pronounced Demee with the accent on the "mee" and Gwen Stefani's last name is pronounced Stefahnee with the accent on the "fah", none of which is obvious from the spelling.

dje31, the output of the organ was passed through ARP filters...certainly for "Who Are You" and likely for "Baba O'Reilly". It's really obvious on "Who Are You".

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

My suspicion is that Allan R. Pearlman and Bob Moog were more concerned with the sounds people made playing their instruments, than the sounds they made saying their instruments names.

I grew up saying Arp (like harp) and Moog like moon.

Mind you I also called the drummer from Rush Neil "Pert" not the apparently correct "Peert", and I used to call the legend "Van jealous", not the correct Vang gelis.

I've heard people say Jean Michel Jarray, but I've always called him "Jhar" which I believe is correct.

I've since corrected my pronunciation of Vangelis and Peart and I'm about 75% mowg 25% mooog. I still say Arp like harp.

My first clue I was saying moog wrong was with the release of the moog Rogue. Funny thing is folks like Rick Wakeman and Paul McCartney still call it a mooog.

Here is another one though a smaller demographic....Korg Mono/Poly. Korg's promotional stuff at the time pronounced it like the board game, but probably due to the slash, I've always called mine a mono - poly.

I knew a keyboard player in high school who called Korg "Krog"

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Speaking of ARP... can I have one of these, please?

http://www.gforcesoftware.com/sites/all/themes/gforce/images/syn_archiveARP2500_02.jpg

Yes, you can have one. But you can't play it. Or touch it. Don't even look at it.....!

Crumar or Crumah (if you're from Boston)

We say Crumah....as in "Crumah is wicked pissah. I took it to my gig in Wistah...with my sistah. Fits in my cah. A Honder"

Wow. That takes me back. I used to live in the "South Shaw" Do people still say "Wicked Pissah?" or in times of extreme stimulation "Pissah Wicked!"

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

dje31, the output of the organ was passed through ARP filters...certainly for "Who Are You" and likely for "Baba O'Reilly". It's really obvious on "Who Are You".

My feigned shock, disgust, and faux outrage was part of the goof...and I'm typically too old to use emoticons, so it's not always obvious when I'm serious or sarcastic.

Hadn't heard of the organ sound going through the filters before, but I'm willing to believe you.

I have owned an ARP Odyssey since 1973 that was bought from the first dealership in Nashville, TN that had them (Roy Warden Piano and Organ on 8th Ave), I've always called it ARP (like Harp). That's what they referred the name as being and even Music Man on Nolensville Rd, who later on had a dealership, referred the name as being the same.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

I was working in my father's music store in the 1970s, when the first Moog and ARP synthesizers (also Roland and Korg) came on the scene. Most people then and now pronounced them "Mooog" and "A. R. P.", but the suppliers and their clinicians, who knew the principals (Bob Moog and Alan Pearlman), pronounced them "Mogue" and "Arp".

Way back in the day, I refered to the company that manufactured my Quartet as A.R.P. Although I remember I was not convinced it was correct.

Also, my first microphone was an Audio Tek-NEEK-a. My buddy likened this to nails on a chalkboard when I said it (jokingly, I knew I was not pronouncing it correctly).

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

Archived