Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pronunciation of "ARP" Synthesizers

dje31

In the Moog Documentary, BOB MOOG HIMSELF SAYS THAT IT CAN BE SAID BOTH WAYS.

I never knew that. Hmmmm.

He mentioned that you're allowed to pronounce it 'm-EW-g' if you're from England, I believe. Just like if you're from the east coast you can pronounce ARP 'AAWP'.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Many years ago, an entertainment newspaper reporter interviewed our band and asked about the instruments we played. I told her that my ARP Omni, of course, was used to emulate string ensembles. However, the article stated that I played "A.P.R. strings." I always wondered if someone in the proof/editing department thought the reporter was trying to convey "Annual Percentage Rate." Around that time, there was this dude that worked in a local music store who pronounced Farfisa as "Far-see-ah." I was playing a Farfisa back then, as well. So from that point on everyone in my band (e.g., during sound check, load out, etc.) called them by these (incorrect) names.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I was thinking about how foelish it was of me to mispronounce moog.

I was sitting there eating a bowl of cereal with my favorite spown. Suddenly in the light of the full moan I could see my trousers were ripped. I wanted to mend them but unfortunately I didn't have a spowl of thread.

Oh well....I'll get to it sown enough, maybe I'll fix the hem tow.

Anyway crazy to think a word with two o's together should be pronounced as anything but mowg

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Unless you're from Newfoundland, in which case Saskatchewan, where it's ERP.

Isn't that "ERP-A?"? (Eh?)

I mean, isn't "Canada" spelled "C-Eh? N-Eh? D-Eh?"?

And the Canadian version of the Big Band hit "Take the A Train"...

"Take the Tran, Eh?"

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I was just glad he pronounced my first name correctly!

(...whichby the wayis pronounced the same as "Jeff.")

Best,

Geoff

Funny, I've always pronounced it "Goof." :D

(We had a friend in college named Geoff and we nicknamed him Goof. Tall, lanky fellow so it truly fit.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Unless you're from Newfoundland, in which case Saskatchewan, where it's ERP.

Isn't that "ERP-A?"? (Eh?)

I mean, isn't "Canada" spelled "C-Eh? N-Eh? D-Eh?"?

And the Canadian version of the Big Band hit "Take the A Train"...

"Take the Tran, Eh?"

..Joe

Canadian's are like backwards New Yorkers. In New York (Brooklyn perhaps?) they would say "Eh, get off my car!" while in Canada they would say "Get off my car, eh!"

Ok, so how does everyone pronounce "gyro", the sandwich?

I used to say jie-row, then I changed to guy-row. The local Greek-Italian restaurant calls them gee-row. Now I just say "I want that" while pointing at the picture.

Does anyone say M-I-D-I instead of midi?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The folks at the Parthenon restaurant in Chicago's Greek Town say "geeros." Of course, you must "trill" the "r" to be authentic!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

We have a neighborhood with a Greek Orthodox church that has a Greek festival every year, and there are a lot of Greek restaurants around.

Yeer-O

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Does anyone say M-I-D-I instead of midi?

It's always been "middy" for me, thank you.

"My MIDI cables sound too scooped, do you have middier MIDI cables?"

"Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." Ornette Coleman

Actually, in Canada there's a chain of pharmacies called A-R-P (Associated Retail Pharmacists), so we always knew the synth was pronounced "ERP," eh? Unless we were talkin' aboot drugs, eh?

And, it's "Hey a**hole! Get the f**k off my car! You HOSER"

Here for the gear.

So how do you pronounce Meowsic?

http://img1.targetimg1.com/wcsstore/TargetSAS//img/p/12/02/12026417.jpg

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

How about pronunciation of "nerd"?

That's who has contributed to this thread.... ;)

BTW (Is that BEE TEE DOUBLE YOU or BEE TEE DOUBLE YEUGH?)

You colonists have no idea how to pronounce the Queens English anyway ;)

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Archived