Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PX-5S Brass shake

rickzjamm

Overall I'm loving the feel & sounds of the PX-5S and the brass tone is about the best there is. Mike Martin has a cool "Brass Drop" that's very effective, but does anyone have a "brass doit" ( gliss up... I would think the MM Brass Drop in reverse??) and more of what I'm in need of - a Brass shake?

(check example in link 1:25 - 1"30))

1:25 - 1:30

Thanks,

Rickster

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rick,

I'm traveling the next two days but I suspect I can get you something early next week.

Seriously.? Other developers need to take note of what you do for us mike. I'm getting another casio. !!

Korg kronos, casio px5s, studiologic sl 88 studio, korg m50,korg triton, yamaha moxf6, hammond xk1, korg sp200

When you purchase a Casio keyboard you're getting way more than a phenomenal keyboard budgeted & weighted for the gigging musician; you also get a force of nature like Mike Martin who believes in the product & isn't just a salesperson punching a clock! Whatever Mike cooks up will be spot on, no doubt... thanks Mike. :)
You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

Rick,

Check your email. ;)

Or download it here:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/610-brass-shake/

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

That is a great example of what should be the norm.

Mike you are awesome!!!!

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

"Big Three" is a Misnomer unless it includes Casio. The question is whether you're leaving out Korg or Roland. ;)

LOL @ Mike.

Are you out-selling Korg & Roland now Mike? Sorry, I wasn't aware of that. Congratulations!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

It simply depends on how you're looking at the market. If you're specifically saying synthesizers then no we're not one of the big three.

If you're looking at all things keyboards - console digital pianos, slab digital pianos, portable keyboards and synthesizers then yes we're #2 and have been for quite a while.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

It simply depends on how you're looking at the market. If you're specifically saying synthesizers then no we're not one of the big three.

If you're looking at all things keyboards - console digital pianos, slab digital pianos, portable keyboards and synthesizers then yes we're #2 and have been for quite a while.

WOW! Well done you! Yay Casio!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Now that's pretty cool;

Customer: "Any idea how I can get this sound on this keyboard?"

GM of Marketing @ Keyboard's Company: "Sure, hold on...Here you go. I took the time to make it for you."

Don't see that a lot. Or anywhere.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Now that's pretty cool;

Customer: "Any idea how I can get this sound on this keyboard?"

GM of Marketing @ Keyboard's Company: "Sure, hold on...Here you go. I took the time to make it for you."

Don't see that a lot. Or anywhere.

Another Brilliant Gentleman in the same league for service and helpfulness , is one Mr Dave Weiser.

Brett

The probability that I will abandon Yamaha for Casio someday just doubled. LOL. :)

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Is Baba O'Casio authentic to the Marimba Repeat feature of the Lowery organs, where some notes are triggered on the beat and some are triggered off the beat?

I almost bought another organ the other day just for that.

WesG,

I worked on a Baba sound and so did another member of the users group. They're both pretty close and available to download for free from the forum. Honestly if I could have found some better examples of the Marimba Repeat on Youtube maybe I could have gotten it better. ;)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Interesting. I was asking because I saw the patch available for download...is there an audio sample anywhere? I have always wanted to cover BOR but have never been happy with my own efforts, because I have been trying to use repeating notes, and timing the "off beat" notes so that they arrive between the "on beat" notes. But the thing about that part is that you want it hyper-robotic and I can't get the timing right down to the nanosecond. Being able to play that tune on a PX5S would be a good reason to own one. I almost bought a MOX8 awhile back just because of the "80's" patch set. Yeah, I'm a sucker for pre-made exact sounds of songs I love.

Did you see this video? The ah-ha moment happens about 9 seconds in --

My understanding of the Marimba Repeat is as follows. Sorry for the programmer-ese, I don't how to unambiguously express this another way:

setInterval(scan, 6000 (tempo / 2)); // trigger scan on the 8th note

var i=0;
function scan()
{
 for (each depressed note)
 {
   if (i EQUALS 0 AND note in {F, F#, G, B, C, C#})
     retrigger(note);

if (i EQUALS 1 AND note not in {F, F#, G, B, C, C#})
     retrigger(note);
 }

if (i EQUALS 0)
   i = 1;
 else
   i = 0;
}

I'll see if I can get some audio recordings of the two version of the patch we have. They are similar in sound, the difference if I recall was how you perform them.

We're working on a "Classic Synth Gig Bank" for the PX-5S that is specifically aimed at covering a specific set of songs. That is due later this summer. ;)

-Mike Martin

Casio

I ended up totally redoing the animated part of the Baba O Reilly Stage Setting for a recent session with Chad Smith...didn't get it perfect but was able to get closer to the original recording. Don't ask me what I did, I did it on the fly in the studio. The sound is good and in a live setting the patch works pretty great as is.

I ended up totally redoing the animated part of the Baba O Reilly Stage Setting for a recent session with Chad Smith...
Wait, the guy on the left or the one on the right? It might be a scam.

http://cdn.baeblemusic.com/images/bblog/2-7-2014/will%20ferrell%20vs.%20chad%20smith-846.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'll see if I can get some audio recordings of the two version of the patch we have. They are similar in sound, the difference if I recall was how you perform them.

We're working on a "Classic Synth Gig Bank" for the PX-5S that is specifically aimed at covering a specific set of songs. That is due later this summer. ;)

Classic Synth Gig Bank? It can't come quick enough. How about requests, Mike? Sorry, I suddenly feel like I'm really asking for too much. But really, hurry. I need that CSGB now. Mike, you are the best.

Interesting. I was asking because I saw the patch available for download...is there an audio sample anywhere? I have always wanted to cover BOR but have never been happy with my own efforts, because I have been trying to use repeating notes, and timing the "off beat" notes so that they arrive between the "on beat" notes.

Split the keyboard, same sound on both sides.

On the left side, set a delay up for 8th-note timing, single repeat and full or close to full volume, and play 1-5-8-5-1-5-8-5 (repeat ad infinitum).

On the right side, set a delay up for 16th-note timing, single repeat etc. as above, and play ... well, listen to it, and you'll figure it out. ;)

No programming required, and it's close enough to the record for ... well, almost everyone. Never asked Mr. Townsend what he thought about it, mostly because I've never had the chance. ;)

The preset whore in me is rejoicing.

Can't wait!

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Archived