Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Have you considered going straight into the board in stereo from your keyboard output jacks?

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Have you considered going straight into the board in stereo from your keyboard output jacks?
This. Everyone's going to have headphones on anyway. Aren't they? If not ... recording trainwreck.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Slightly OT, but here we go ...

When I do recording, I always run my Nords straight into the board. Never fails to sound pristine and amazing, and with zero fuss. Way better than trying to mic an acoustic piano, B3, etc. unless your recording engineer is really up for it.

YMMV

-- Chuck

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Slightly OT, but here we go ...

When I do recording, I always run my Nords straight into the board. Never fails to sound pristine and amazing, and with zero fuss. Way better than trying to mic an acoustic piano, B3, etc. unless your recording engineer is really up for it.

YMMV

-- Chuck

What he said; go direct young man!

The only down side is that you'll probably sound better than everybody else.

I must say however, "old school w/ all dynamic mics"?? That usually meant "Mono" in those days (I know, i was there!). Just sayin...

But seriously folks; IMHO best way to mic a SS3 in stereo is in M/S. That's what used for all the CPS videos, and we usually posted the micing technique and processing in my videos. However I have also said before, I have never been 100% Happy with my results; "being there" inside the eye of the CPS image is just better....as many have discovered.

And, I liked your suggestion of a bi-polar (Fig 8) ribbon + Cardioid dynamic for an old school M/S approach, But them why not TWO ribbons to make M/S? It may sound better if the transducers are "matched".

But in either case (M/S or X/Y) I would place the mics about 6+ feet away and hopefully the SS3 could be "cornered" for max effect. That way the KB will "bloom"and may still have enough isolation.

However if your engineer is really old school he may not even HAVE a M/S decoder box and/or M/S software in his HD recording software (some versions of Pro Tools do not offer M/S decoding).

But still, as many have pointed out after listening to my CPS videos (w/ headphones please!), and then getting their own SS3...our recordings fall short, and it is not like "being there" in the eye of that 3D CPS image.

IMHO, you just can not 100% capture/record that crazy CPS 3D imaging (try as I have). So usually new owners who've bought the SS3 based on the videos have their expectations surpassed, which is a good thing (and better than the reverse).

I know I read this too late for my comments to be of use to you, and this session has already gone down. But I would love to hear how it came out, and what solutions you chose. Heck, I may even learn something!

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Hey all, Great News!

I got an early Christmas present this week that should be of some interest to all my SS3 early adopters in OZ, as well as those looking to buy a SS3 down under; we just landed a perfect dealer partner for Australia; Audio Chocolate!

Several of you here on this thread had recommended Audio Chocolate during our epic thread early on, season 4 I think. We had reached out back then but it was early on, and we were a new (very) small and untested company. Audio Chocolate is the cream of the dealers down there, and they have a host of great products already that keep them really busy...so we got a very polite "maybe later".

Well now, apparently the buzz in their ears has grown, likely from many of our early adopters down there who made a few calls (THANK YOU!!), so we finally got their attention...and they said "yes!" Hooray!

Their first order is in process and the first "mass quantities" of SS3 amps should ship next week.

Even better, Audio Chocolate will be representing not just the Spacestation v.3, but all (4) of our APD products; the DuoTonic tube guitar pedal, our DT1 Dual Top condenser mic for stage and studio (NOTE: we won TEC award for that when it was branded the GT Convertible), and our magnetically attaching pop filters the PFM and PFM+.

Perhaps the best news is that their direct prices on APD products are VERY reasonable, even lower than those who were importing the SS3 direct...and with WAY less hassle and waiting.

I was looking for a dealer partner, not a "distributor", to avoid the "2-step" markup and not price APD products out of reach. Audio Chocolate agreed to keep this us "direct" to end user, and so our end user prices for our pals in Oz will be in line with US prices. For example, the SS3 is only $160 over our direct A&A price for our US customers, and our cheapest shipping (USPS) to OZ was running around $250 on average.

Plus now you will have the convenience of "stock on hand" and the customer support of a local dealer with a great reputation for service (very important to me).

Audio Chocolate is pretty well known, so I probably do not have to introduce them to my friends in OZ, but here are their contact details:

Audio Chocolate Pty Ltd

E : sales@audiochocolate.com.au

W : http://www.audiochocolate.com.au

777 Glenferrie Road,

Hawthorn | Victoria 3122 | Australia

Phone: +61 3 9813 5877

The APD products are already up on their website and they are taking orders for the first shipment!

See: http://www.audiochocolate.com.au/brand/aspen-associates/

Happy HolyDays to you'all, and MANY THANKS to all posting here for your on going gig reports and constant sharing with great suggestions as we both test the limits of what the SS3 can do (far more than I imagined frankly!). And, a special thanks to those of you SS3 Aussies who put a buzz in the ear of Audio Chocolate!

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

More good news for our friends in and around the Dallas area. I got yet another Christmas gift; a great new Rental Partner, Sound Productions.

These guys are the largest pro touring back line provider in the USA, have been around for 42 years, and are great folks to deal with (is there anyone friendlier than a Texan?).

To review our new Rental Partner Program: Many of you had expressed to me your frustration that you are not able to "try before you buy" at your favorite local music store. But sadly I am just not able to support a wide dealer network of stores anymore(been there and done that with a 30+ employee based company for 40 years. Too stressful, and it almost killed me, literally) .

Then I came up with an idea to start a chain of APD "Rental Partners"...we are just getting this off the ground now.

An APD rental partner provides anyone with an inexpensive (and possibly free!) way to try a SS3 before you buy it. Rental rates will vary around the country, but you can rent a SS3 for no more than $50 for a gig or rehearsal from any of our Rental Partners. Then later, if you decide to buy a SS3 we will apply your rental receipt to a purchase...up to $50! Just send us (or Sweetwater) the rental receipt and we'll apply that to your purchase!

How this works; I provide the SS3 amp to our rental partner for free, on a 90 memo loan basis, even pay his shipping. He keeps all the rental fess! As long as he rents it at least one time in that 90 days, the memo loan automatically renews.

We currently have APD Rental Partners in LA, Nashville, Fresno and now Dallas, you will find them on our website. But here's our newest Rental Partner, Sound Productions: https://www.soundpro.com

BTW guys, I could really use your help with this. So if you have a favorite local rental company, or a store that rents in your area, please let them know they can call me direct and/or give me a PM w/ their contacts and I'll call them. I'd really like to get a wide network of APD Rental Partners going so everyone would to be able to try out the APD products. Thanks for your great support and Happy HolyDays to all my many friends here.

Hey everybody...OK, I know this is getting old, but for some of you in the Seattle area looking to try out a SS3, we just opened another great CPS Rental Partner: Bellevue American Music

see: http://bellevueamericanmusic.com/indexa.htm

The owner there, Reese Marin, and I have been friends since the 70s when I ran the upstart Sound Stage Music store, and he ran the legendary Don Wehrs' Music City..both in downtown San Francisco (ah, those were the daze)

Later, I switched sides of the counter and became Reese's Acoustic amp rep (The DOORS and Ray Manzarek used Acoustic amps, and the 260 was the KB amp sound of the Light My Fire recordings as well as all the concerts. Nothing sounds quite like a Vox Continental driving an early Germanium transistor amp pushing a re entry paging horn and 2x Altec Lansing 421a 15" speakers. Wow, my ears are still ringing)

But I digress in a flashback...so to briefly recap; if you live in or near Seattle you can rent a SS3 from Aspen's old friend Reese to see if it "lights your fire", and then get a credit up to $50 for your rental against your SS3 purchase from either A&A or Sweetwater. Nuff said, Peace.

BTW; a big shout out to mynameisdano here on KC who PM prompted me to give a call to BAM and land this new Rental Partner in Seattle area...I booked 'em Dano!

After being seriously tempted at various times with the idea of a subwoofer or a bass amp, I've decided a crossover - a Rolls SX45 http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=SX45, with the lows going into my QSC K10 - is the best way to go. This is a cost effective solution as the K10 is very versatile, whereas a sub is always a sub. The K10 works as an all-purpose monitor or as a bass amp should I ever decide to go with a dedicated kb or module for bass. I don't need the extreme low range, just a an octave or so below the SS3.

I've been thinking about the crossover idea ever since I got my SS3. Using it with the K10 straight out of the sub output, it messes with the 3D sound too much. I experimented with a sub filter patch on my Nord Micromodular, but then as luck would have it, I found a basic home entertainment style 100w sub on the street. That was OK at low volume but gave up when pushed too hard.

There are a lot of crossovers out there, all designed for rack mount, which I did not want, and way overfeatured for what I need. Ultimately I found the Samson S-xover just as it seems to have been discontinued. Then I discovered the SX45, with similar specs. A slight inconvenience with the SX45 is that it uses RCA sockets for inputs and outputs. The device is quite small, whereas if jacks had been used it would have made it larger. As it is it fits easily on my "pedalboard" (which is actually just a piece of mdf with velcro on it).

Last weekend I had an opportunity to try the crossover setup out at an outdoor gig, and it worked well, with lots of volume and nice clean bass. I'm looking forward to comparing this with my 147, when I get that fully functional again.

I had a second gig the same day, with a bass player, two guitars and harmonica. Setting up stage right with a PX3 and SK1, and up against some nice tube amps, I put the SS3 on its side, angled up from the corner of the tiled floor, on my right, and it worked its magic by itself, no problem without the sub.

Congratulations to Audio Chocolate and Aspen for setting up an Australian dealership. The SS3 is already on their web site, and the price is comparable to a K10, as it was over a year ago when I got my SS3 ;-)

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

I just wrapped up the most grueling gig schedule I've had since I was a kid. For some of you, it would be normal and maybe even light, but since I was also the organizer/leader/arranger of all but one of these, in addition to having to play and be brilliant ;) it was heavy duty for me.

I used my SpaceStation in a variety of settings--first was the big theater here with 400 seats, my concert with pianist Don Grusin (I played my Casio PX5s and on one song an electric upright bass through the SS3, which sent a line out to the house). There were three of us onstage and none of us needed the Casio in the stage monitors as everyone could hear it perfectly from my SS3. Granted, it was fairly delicate stuff--acoustic piano, keyboard and vocal.

Next a restaurant gig with a blues band, with my Hammond SK1. Perfect.

Next a club, with the same blues band--perfect again. Different kind of crowd and we all played louder than the night before. I never got the kind of applause after my organ solos before I had the SS3--that sounds like hype but it's true. I think the audience feels the sound differently, because it's the same axe and the same chops but really gratifying crowd response.

Next it was a new organ trio in a new restaurant, just Hammond and SS3. Perfect balance.

Then NYE, a crappy pickup band and a restaurant crowd that resembled an oil painting for the first 2 sets. I plugged two mics into a small mixer and amplified a vocalist and an acoustic piano as well as ran my Hammond through the SS3. Rough night, my inspiration was down to about 3%. Finally got people up and dancing at the end.

Then Friday night, a private rooftop goodbye for 12 guests at a local b and b. This was the most fun, all decent cats. I heard my keys bouncing off the neighboring buildings and everything sounded fine and fat and funky.

I have never enjoyed a keyboard rig more than this one: the SS3, the SK1 and the PX5s. I usually use only one of the keyboards but have brought both occasionally and dug that too. I'm in and out quicker than everyone but the drummer. And so far I haven't encountered a type of music where I felt the SS3 was lacking. Every time there is a keyboard player in the audience, I get mad props for my sound and I know I've sold at least 2 units in the last month.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

So I guess nobody has upgraded their MKII. Aspen, how many of the MkII did you make?

Well we just got this upgrade kit going recently so I guess we've sold maybe 5 total MK2 upgrade kits so far. I think they have all been the full C kit w/ 3 main drivers replaced and the 2 L-pads....everyone seemed very happy.

But this is really for the DIY crowd, it's not for everybody. Also not something I am doing as a "business model", so I am not really "pushing it". It's just available to those who have an interest in modernizing their CPS amp with our new custom made drivers without having to buy a new SS3.

Also, I believe it is my personal responsibility to support a former Groove Tubes or current Aspen Pittman Designs customer as long as I draw breath, and no matter how long ago they purchased my design.

To your question of "how many" MK2 amps, I am really not sure. Unfortunately, all my production journals went to Fender when I sold GT back in '08. I recall we did 2 or 3 runs of 100 amps, then one last run up to 200. So, maybe 500 tops.

That last run went to Fender and mostly arrived after the sale. Since they had no plans to continue with the Spacestation, these were blown out below cost...I think many here may have bought them as low as $200 in that close out sale. So, spending another $200 to upgrade these older MK2 amps to a SS3 component level is actually not a bad deal in the end.

Of course that bad ending for the MK2 put a marketing challenge on me when I reintroduced the v.3, even 7 years later. But because of my single US dealer partner business model and no marketing expense (I am APD's only employee, and we do not advertise!), that keeps the street price much lower and gives a better value to the customer.

The good news is; the new Spacestation is doing VERY well. It is one of the best selling KB ever at Sweetwater (my only dealer outlet in the US, other than our website), and I am happy to report that we've made far more SS3 amps already in just these 12 months since it's release by many times than we ever sold MK2 amps.

Then also as you have witnessed, this mega thread here recently passing the "Million Views" threshold with 100s of positive gig reports from my early adopters here (THANK YOU ALL!) is really unprecedented for any amp, much less a keyboard amp!

Without today's web based forums like this, and my extremely cool dealer partners like Chuck Surack over at Sweetwater here in the US, and Hans Thomann from Thomann Music Haus in Germany who supplies all of Europe direct, and at comparable prices to our US MAP, this CPS "little big" amp would never have been.

So I am am more than happy, and very grateful this Christmas season. Many thanks again to all my SS3 user and dealer partners!

I appreciated your post on this, Aspen, for two reasons. First, I started this SS3 thread back in June of 2014, and it's nice to see that it has become one of the longest threads ever. Second, I based that post (and many of my other thread posts) on my good experiences with a MKII. I bought that MKII from Sweetwater for a discount price of $299 around Thanksgiving of 2011 (the last run of MKIIs sold?).

As for the SS3 I bought, it's now over 100 gigs old. Nary a single complaint from me, and lots of compliments from listeners. I always use it with either a Motion Sound K-12 kb amp (100w, 12 inch woofer), or a Fender Rumble 100 combo bass amp (100w, 12 inch woofer) linked via the subwoof jack---just to get a little more lower end. All good!

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

Stumbled on these today: Harrison Labs FMOD crossovers. For folks using a bass amp or sub with no crossover, this might be an inexpensive way to roll off frequencies below 100 Hz in the lines going to the SSV3.

http://www.hlabs.com/products/crossovers/

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

So I guess nobody has upgraded their MKII. Aspen, how many of the MkII did you make?

Well we just got this upgrade kit going recently so I guess we've sold maybe 5 total MK2 upgrade kits so far. I think they have all been the full C kit w/ 3 main drivers replaced and the 2 L-pads....everyone seemed very happy.

But this is really for the DIY crowd, it's not for everybody. Also not something I am doing as a "business model", so I am not really "pushing it". It's just available to those who have an interest in modernizing their CPS amp with our new custom made drivers without having to buy a new SS3.

Also, I believe it is my personal responsibility to support a former Groove Tubes or current Aspen Pittman Designs customer as long as I draw breath, and no matter how long ago they purchased my design.

To your question of "how many" MK2 amps, I am really not sure. Unfortunately, all my production journals went to Fender when I sold GT back in '08. I recall we did 2 or 3 runs of 100 amps, then one last run up to 200. So, maybe 500 tops.

That last run went to Fender and mostly arrived after the sale. Since they had no plans to continue with the Spacestation, these were blown out below cost...I think many here may have bought them as low as $200 in that close out sale. So, spending another $200 to upgrade these older MK2 amps to a SS3 component level is actually not a bad deal in the end.

Of course that bad ending for the MK2 put a marketing challenge on me when I reintroduced the v.3, even 7 years later. But because of my single US dealer partner business model and no marketing expense (I am APD's only employee, and we do not advertise!), that keeps the street price much lower and gives a better value to the customer.

The good news is; the new Spacestation is doing VERY well. It is one of the best selling KB ever at Sweetwater (my only dealer outlet in the US, other than our website), and I am happy to report that we've made far more SS3 amps already in just these 12 months since it's release by many times than we ever sold MK2 amps.

Then also as you have witnessed, this mega thread here recently passing the "Million Views" threshold with 100s of positive gig reports from my early adopters here (THANK YOU ALL!) is really unprecedented for any amp, much less a keyboard amp!

Without today's web based forums like this, and my extremely cool dealer partners like Chuck Surack over at Sweetwater here in the US, and Hans Thomann from Thomann Music Haus in Germany who supplies all of Europe direct, and at comparable prices to our US MAP, this CPS "little big" amp would never have been.

So I am am more than happy, and very grateful this Christmas season. Many thanks again to all my SS3 user and dealer partners!

I appreciated your post on this, Aspen, for two reasons. First, I started this SS3 thread back in June of 2014, and it's nice to see that it has become one of the longest threads ever. Second, I based that post (and many of my other thread posts) on my good experiences with a MKII. I bought that MKII from Sweetwater for a discount price of $299 around Thanksgiving of 2011 (the last run of MKIIs sold?).

As for the SS3 I bought, it's now over 100 gigs old. Nary a single complaint from me, and lots of compliments from listeners. I always use it with either a Motion Sound K-12 kb amp (100w, 12 inch woofer), or a Fender Rumble 100 combo bass amp (100w, 12 inch woofer) linked via the subwoof jack---just to get a little more lower end. All good!

All good Mike, many thanks for starting us all off on this long and winging road.

I woke up a few days ago and thought it would be lost forever,it felt like I lost 100+ friends in an instant.

Also good call using a spare Bass or mono KB amp tp get a bit more sub support...really frees up the SS3 to play with the big boys.

Good piece of kit that helps out with onstage and FOH duties when IEMs and SSv3 are being used.

http://s12.postimg.org/qyepqo03x/IMG_0826.jpg

image sharing sites

This IS a great little box that does many useful things, also helps eliminate ground loop hum too. I have several around the studio and they are VERY handy.

BTW, Hank Landsberg (Henry Eng. founder) is a top shelf audio engineer, an old friend, and a fellow member of the Hollywood Sapphire group, which has been in existence since 1946. HSG is an informal dinner group of audio engineers in the recording industry that has met once a month (1st Tuesday) to discuss advancements in the world of audio recording, and is credited with establishing audio standards such as the Sapphire cutting stylus that became the basis of the RIAA curve that all 33LP records still use today (in the 30's and 40's there were MANY different formats for cutting and playback of records, but Sapphire guys "fixed that").

FYI recording legends from Bill Putman (UA founder) to Les Paul were foundiumg members of HSG...and HSG was credited for founding the Audio Engineering Society (AES)...which became the "formal" standards committiee which still keeps the industry grounded (literally; pin 2 hot!)

However HSG has chosen to remain an informal dinner group, which has a lot of fun bouncing new ideas around off eeah other. CPS for example was an idea started as a sketch on a napkin b/w myself and Drew Damiels (rip), and Hank Landsberg little Matchbox you mentioned was first presented at HSG to a round of applause.

I am one of very few past "Chairs" of the HSG, only 5 since 1946...imagine that! I ran the meetings for over 7 years! Oliver Berliner preceded me, you may have heard of his grandfather Emile Berliner who invented the first microphone and later flat disc recording...which he called a Gramophone. RCA bought and renamed it the Victrola. The Grammys are named after Berliner's invention!

The current HSG Chair (whom I appointed when I chose to step down recently to focus on CPS) is a legendary KB player you all might know; Michael Boddicker (who was an early Spacestation adopter of version 1, 2 and now the SS v,3!). FYI Michael is also a great audio engineer with scores of big movie sound tracks to his credit.

I mention all this to give you some insider insight on just how many new audio ideas and products have "come to life" (over the last 70 years!), and also as an invitation; in the case any of you ever find yourself in North Hollywood on the first Tuesday of any month, please be my guest at a Hollywood Sapphire Group meeting, we always have an interesting presentation on something new (or old!) and a great round of talkin' pro audio over a pretty good Italian buffet.

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP!

I spent almost 2 hours at Aspen's booth on Saturday it was a great experience being able to talk one-on-one with Aspen, Andrea & Guido!!

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos (but I assure you it happened ;) ) and Aspen had asked if I knew how to re-post his Plexiglass Spacestation from his [url:https://www.facebook.com/centerpointstereo/photos/pcb.519289758249173/519288664915949/?type=3&theater]Facebook [/url]page. I thought I did, but it's not like normal image linking.

Can anyone help out with this? Or has anyone posted their own pic of it from NAMM? It's pretty cool.

Edit: No surprise, but a guy I know from the old days stopped by when I was playing the Mojo through the SSV.3 and said he could hear it all the way down to the end of the row.

Here for the gear.

Last year he had an XK1c set up and I wasn't able to make the show this year. Did he have that as well as the Mojo or just the Mojo? Curious how they sounded next to each other if he had both there.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Yeah, that was my kind of good time, of course. :2thu:

Both the Crumar gear and the PX-5S sounded awesome through the SS. It's so much fun to watch people's faces as I cranked up the width parameter and the stereo field slowly bloomed out around them. Even more fun to see people coming down the aisle looking for what they're hearing from so far away.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Here's the clear SS3.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj60/dan88z/plexiss3_zpsbsxhwmts.jpg

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• 2 weeks later...
Great to have this thread back. I've had the SSV3 for over a year now and have nothing but raves for it. I bought a PX5s 3 months ago and couldn't be more pleased with the pairing. APs and EPs sound very good through the SSV3. Ray
Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

mak, are you running into the sub and then using it's built in crossover to filter out the low end going into the SS3? or just using the sub out on the SS3?

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

if you run your keyboard/mixer into the inputs of the sub 1st, and then take the outputs into the SS3, you'll use the built in crossover on the sub to filter out the low frequencies that cause the SS3 to "fart" on bass notes. This is how I'd run it if I were using a sub with mine. It would really clean up the low end and let the SS3 do what it does best, mids and highs.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• 2 weeks later...
Stumbled on these today: Harrison Labs FMOD crossovers. For folks using a bass amp or sub with no crossover, this might be an inexpensive way to roll off frequencies below 100 Hz in the lines going to the SSV3.

http://www.hlabs.com/products/crossovers/

I purchased this device which is a passive crossover used at the inputs of both the Spacestation and the subwoofer. It works beautifully. I purchased the double model which allows for many crossover points to both the highpass and lowpass filters.

Korg Oasys, Kurzweil K2000, General Music sk76, Kurzweil PC3x, Kurzweil PC3k7, Yamaha MOX6

By the way, I've found that the most objectionable noises coming from the Spacestation when trying to run too much bass thru it comes from the small bass reflex port on the front just behind the grill. I haven't noticed it from any connectors on the back.
Korg Oasys, Kurzweil K2000, General Music sk76, Kurzweil PC3x, Kurzweil PC3k7, Yamaha MOX6