Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my nomination for best prog rock album evah

In this context prog, where I was, referred only to bands like King Crimson and the Mahavishnu Orchestra where there was a heavy emphasis on improvisation as part of the live performance.

though most prog is highly structured, and not so improvisational

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All these posts, and not a shred of love for the folks who gave prog its neo-classical influences?

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZKqH1O4eEc

I'll bet David Jacques has played that song 1,000 times. :laugh:

You better believe that! Great song!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

In this context prog, where I was, referred only to bands like King Crimson and the Mahavishnu Orchestra where there was a heavy emphasis on improvisation as part of the live performance.

though most prog is highly structured, and not so improvisational

So true. But that's one of the qualities that made Crimson so unique.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

When I think 'classic prog', my mind jumps to songs like Watcher of the Skies, or Man- Erg. I don't at all think of anything by The Cars, let alone Monkees. To me, prog is music that makes you listen with focus and intent, pressing parts of the brain beyond the stem into use. To enjoy prog involves active participation on the part of the listener. I don't mean for that to come off as snobby, I've been in bands that played Monkees songs and had a blast doing it! But I have a hard time thinking of that as any kind of prog.

Al I can add is from my own personal experience. I don't believe that prog was mainstream back then. In fact, it was only rarely played on alternative radio stations, usually late at night. I remember hanging out with my friends listening to this stuff. But these "underground" stations mostly played bands like Lee Michaels, Rare Earth, and other long cuts that were unsuitable for radio.

I learned about prog from the record bin. I distinctly remember digging through the stacks at the local k Mart and finding two copies of a record with a really strange album cover. Something called "Ummagumma" by a weird looking band called "Pink Floyd". It was on sale for $2. My friend and I each bought a copy and separately took them home to listen to with our headphones on. My journey with Floyd began that night.

I first heard Prog Rock on a small Long Beach, CA radio station called KNAC. They segregated it from their regular playlist in a special afternoon program where they played music from bands like Genesis, PFM, and Refugee.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, I heard some Prog earlier than that on KINK in Portland, OR where they played The Strawbs, King Crimson, Colosseum, Rare Bird, Jade Warrior, Jethro Tull, etc. Even the local AM Top 40 station KBZY in Salem, OR would play King Crimson and some adventurous long album cuts late at night. "Lucky Man" by ELP was a mainstream radio hit that got widespread airplay.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Al I can add is from my own personal experience. I don't believe that prog was mainstream back then. In fact, it was only rarely played on alternative radio stations, usually late at night. I remember hanging out with my friends listening to this stuff. But these "underground" stations mostly played bands like Lee Michaels, Rare Earth, and other long cuts that were unsuitable for radio.

I learned about prog from the record bin. I distinctly remember digging through the stacks at the local k Mart and finding two copies of a record with a really strange album cover. Something called "Ummagumma" by a weird looking band called "Pink Floyd". It was on sale for $2. My friend and I each bought a copy and separately took them home to listen to with our headphones on. My journey with Floyd began that night.

I was lucky to have a dedicated progressive rock station to listen to where I grew up (in Phoenix). Actually, they called their format "progressive rock," but the DJs were allowed to play whatever they wanted. The result ranged from Yes to Sly and the Family Stone, to Jerry Jeff Walker, to Weather Report, to Gong, to The Rolling Stones, to Mike Oldfield, and so on.

The stationKDKB (and its predecessor, KCAC)turned me on to Gentle Giant, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Genesis, Strawbs, Captain Beefheart, Return to Forever, and other progressive rock and jazz fusion artists. If I recall correctly, KCAC began its free-form/progressive rock format in 1969 and transplanted it to KDKB in 1971, where it remained in place until 1976. At that point, they began narrowing the playlist and switched to AOR, which I believe is still the station's format today. But for a seven year stretch, it was pretty wonderful!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I grew up mostly in the Philly area, which had a very big progressive rock scene at the time. There were radio stations (WYSP, WMMR, WIOQ) that played it on a fairly regular basis, and most of the big prog bands came through and played concerts there.

I remember moving to Boston in 1979 and being surprised that there was almost no sign of a prog scene at all. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

In Ft. Lauderdale our underground radio station was WSHE. Every night they played the long versions of Lee Michaels' "Tell Me How You Feel" and Rare Earth's "Get Ready". Every now and then they would play some Yes, Spirit, Floyd, Crimson, and Genesis. They used to love playing "Moon Child".

KSHE 95 'Real Rock Radio' in St. Louis played all this stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

London, LA, New York ....PFFFFT!

Real Rock comes from the Midwest. Chuck Berry, Mitch Ryder, Kansas, REO, Styx, Amboys Dukes, Head East....ect

Ken Hensley made St. Louis home for sometime. I played his B3.

REO was killer BC. ( before Cornin) LOL.

Definitely way better before the move to California. They moved out west and started really playing pussy material.

I kind of like a lot of Styx's catalog except for Kilroy. The early stuff get could out there. The first song on the first album was over 13 minutes long and was all over the place.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvhcutosw-g

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8wMn2G0iEA

I grew up mostly in the Philly area, which had a very big progressive rock scene at the time. There were radio stations (WYSP, WMMR, WIOQ) that played it on a fairly regular basis, and most of the big prog bands came through and played concerts there.

I remember moving to Boston in 1979 and being surprised that there was almost no sign of a prog scene at all. :idk:

dB

I grew up down in that area as well. WYSP's "Sunday Night Six-pack", which featured 6 albums back to back, turned me on to several prog classics including Close to the Edge.

Northeast Ohio also had a very active progressive rock scene in the late 60's and throughout most of the 70's. It got its fair share of radio play on mainstream FM as well as on many college stations.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Archived