Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my nomination for best prog rock album evah

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like "Thick as a Brick" much better...

I cut up my disc in Wavelab so that I could skip to my favorite sections quickly (the factory disc only has two tracks).

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

My vote for best prog album evah would be either Genesis' Nursery Cryme, or Van der Graaf's Pawn Hearts. Yeah, I'm old, and I saw them both live way back then. Fantastic shows.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I prefer Selling England to Nursery Cryme; and I prefer Godbluff to Pawn Hearts. It was a time of a wealth of riches!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'd place at least four Jethro Tull albums above Songs from the Wood:

1) Thick As A Brick

2) Passion Play

3) Benefit

4) Aqualung

But it's nice to hear Songs from the Wood again, nonetheless. I hadn't given it a listen in a long while. :cool:

As for best progressive rock album, I'll go with Gentle Giant's Free Hand. Here's the title track:

[video:youtube]

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Some of my favorite tracks from some of my favorite progressive rock albums:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC-FrJ8W0Yc

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJi2MEnZT8Y

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N1ey4VFmKc

Best,

Geoff

TULL:

Stand Up

Brick

Lung

Benefit

Favorite Yes album?

THE YES ALBUM.

Then Close to the Edge/Going For the One.

Going for the one is pretty fn badass, but the sound on Edge holds up better. But I prefer a lot of the performances on Going. The songs on both are very effective at what they are, and both are very much of their own time, which makes them hard to compare directly.

90125. Different band. As perfect as Foreigner and The Cars and Abacab.

Relayer: one of the best 70% excellent records ever.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Going for the One is my desert island prog album...

Not even the best Yes album, IMO - I'd probably say that'd be Close To The Edge...

Agree 100%.

The word "best" isn't a good word to use for these kinds of things. This is about favorites.

Close to the Edge is easily my favorite prog rock alum, my favorite Yes album, and one of my top five most favorite albums of all time.

Songs From the Wood and Thick as a Brick would both make my top ten.

On a related topic, I just bought tickets to see Ian Anderson and his solo band here in the Chicago area in October. I downloaded his new solo album this evening, but have only been able to listen to the first three songs. I like it, so far.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Meh.

Floyd and the first 4 Kansas albums.

+1

UK Night After Night

Danger Money

Fly By Night

Grace Under Pressure

Permanent Waves

Farewell to Kings

Let the ELP debate begin!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Best Yes album?

THE YES ALBUM.

Then Close to the Edge/Going For the One.

Going for the one is pretty fn badass, but the sound on Edge holds up better. But I prefer a lot of the performances on Going. The songs on both are very effective at what they are, and both are very much of their own time, which makes them hard to compare directly.

Interestingly enough, Yes toured last year (without Jon Anderson of course) doing these three albums in their entirety in the order Tony listed. I saw the show at the Warner Theatre DC. Geoff Downes on keys. AMAZING!

:nopity:

One of the most under-rated Prog bands ever was Rare Bird. I still listen to their two excellent keyboard-oriented albums from 1969 and 1970 before personnel changes brought it all down.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-O17wIh6hr4g/T-svIDPCwmI/AAAAAAAAAUw/4Zf8qpdJyH4/s1600/rarbird.jpg

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21DQGcfH8hY

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

For me it's a 3-way tie between Close to the Edge, The Yes Album and Trick of the Tale. In my experience, TOTT is one of the rare prog albums that start to finish appeals equally to both fans and non-fans of prog.

I like to think of Bowie's Diamond Dogs as a contender on the short list as well.

It was fun to re-visit Songs from the Wood though! Haven't heard that one in ages.

Wow, all these Yes lists and no love for Fragile!

In my opinion, "Roundabout," "South Side of the Sky," and "Long Distance Runaround" alone ought to put it in any essential Yes conversation, not to mention "We Have Heaven" and "Heart of the Sunrise"

But it seems YMMV.

Best,

Geoff

No one beats Van der graff Generator and Quatermass.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Love this thread. How about letting it run for another week to collect more suggestions then a poll?

Is there a way to set up a poll so that we could nominate five say - and it automatically does the tally.

I'll struggle if I can only vote for one?

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Wow, all these Yes lists and no love for Fragile!

I listed a "Top 3" ...

- Tarkus (ELP)

- Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)

- Close to the Edge (Yes)

... but if I made it a "Top 10", I would add these.

- Brain Salad Surgery (ELP)

- Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)

- Fragile (Yes)

- Focus III (Focus)

- Moving Waves (Focus)

- Photos of Ghosts (or the original Italian versions) (PFM)

- The Six Wives of Henry VIII (Rick Wakeman)

Archived