Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my nomination for best prog rock album evah

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would actually hand that crown to the Moody Blues for Days Of Future Passed, which was done two years before the Crimson album. That, for me, was the first progressive rock album.

Days of Future Passed was preceded by Sgt Pepper...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would actually hand that crown to the Moody Blues for Days Of Future Passed, which was done two years before the Crimson album. That, for me, was the first progressive rock album.

That's true...but that's not really what I'd call progressive rock. Prog - for me - has major classical music influence, and copious amounts of instrumental passages.

I'd say Sgt. Peppers is a collection of deep cuts (the first album besides Pet Sounds to even have deep cuts!), to be sure....but A Day In The Life is the only cut on Sgt. Pepper's that I'd say resembles prog. Some might say Lucy and Mr. Kite fall into the prog genre, but those are more what I would call acid rock.

From the moment you start playing Days Of Future Passed all the way until the ending section of Nights In White Satin, it was pretty clear there was something seriously different going on....

...and, FWIW, The Beatles are probably my favorite band (if I had to pick one), so it ain't that I don't give them props. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

That's true...but that's not really what I'd call progressive rock. Prog - for me - has major classical music influence, and copious amounts of instrumental passages.

I'd say Sgt. Peppers is a collection of deep cuts (the first album besides Pet Sounds to even have deep cuts!), to be sure....but A Day In The Life is the only cut on Sgt. Pepper's that I'd say resembles prog. Some might say Lucy and Mr. Kite fall into the prog genre, but those are more what I would call acid rock.

Yeah, definitions are always tricky, and there's a continuum, things often don't fall neatly into categories. But besides the ones you mention, She's Leaving Home shows a strong classical musical influence, Good Morning Good Morning has the shifting time signatures...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Was Prog Rock really called Prog Rock 30-40 years ago.
I remember people calling it "progressive rock" around say '73. The term probably predated that but my awareness of it didn't. It's what my older sister's boyfriend, my main musical mentor at the time, called it, mainly including Tull, Yes, and ELP. My sister got annoyed that Jim would come over to see her but end up jamming with me. I owe him a lot; I was frustrated and in a rut and about to say quits to it all. (Yeah, I know that would never have stuck, but still, he helped me see the light.)

Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody"
and Killer Queen too -- both excellent Progressive Rock tunes. I vividly remember the first time I heard Queen (Killer Queen) on the radio. It didn't bother me that Queen didn't stay in the "progressive rock" box, either. RIP, Freddy.

I thought everyone might enjoy a little something to cleanse the palate after such rich feast of prog...

OK now back to your regularly scheduled cosmic oceans, mythical woodland creatures and all around harmonic convergence. ;)

[Video embedding seems to to be fussy tonight..?]

Oh, damn, they belong in the upper echelon for sure. That album was an all time classic.

It says something that there was such an embarrassment of riches in those days that a seminal band like PH could be temporarily overlooked.

I would also like to nominate the Cars "Moving in Stereo/All Mixed Up" as a classic prog track

Oh, damn, they belong in the upper echelon for sure. That album was an all time classic.

The follow-up records, Shine on Brightly and A Salty Dog, were instant classics as well!

Hell, Procol's first half-dozen were instant classics.

[video:youtube]

I would also like to nominate the Cars "Moving in Stereo/All Mixed Up" as a classic prog track

I've been a fan of Candy-O since it was released. I've never considered it prog rock. BTW, what is a "classic prog track"? It's your thread, so feel free to derail it, but it seems we're getting off base here. :D

:nopity:

I've been a fan of Candy-O since it was released. I've never considered it prog rock. BTW, what is a "classic prog track"? It's your thread, so feel free to derail it, but it seems we're getting off base here. :D

It wasn't on Candy-O, it was on the first album... I dunno, the segue from one song to the next and they both shared musical themes seemed sort of like sonata-form to me, but what do I know?

My band plays Moving In Stereo....it's the best fun. :thu:

dB

Surely you must have an audio or video clip of you guys playing this one dB, yes?

I don't know if Moe (and Timwat) nominated the BEST prog rock album of all time, but I agree that that David Sancious album is a gem. Then again, clearly I am a big fan of DS, as one might be able to tell from my forum user name.

Now that I think of it, many years ago I bought second vinyl copies of Forest of Feelings, Transformation, and True Stories on vinyl, anticipating that I would wear my first copies out. I forgot that I still have them waiting. It's probably about time to bust those albums out of their shrink wrap!

BTW, what is a "classic prog track"?

Well...

Yes, Floyd, and Tull are the stereotypical answers, but I would say every band that has been mentioned in this thread so far qualifies, without exception, I wouldn't eliminate a single one of them.

I daresay there are a few that haven't been mentioned yet. Miles Davis freaking abandoned bebop to pioneer some progressive rock music himself, no way you could really call Bitches Brew jazz.

I think a "classic prog track" is a composition that goes beyond the boundaries of the three minute pop song. I have nominated Soft Parade by the Doors, Terrapin Station by the Dead, and I have concurred with many other nominations...

It's all good...

It wasn't on Candy-O, it was on the first album... I dunno, the segue from one song to the next and they both shared musical themes seemed sort of like sonata-form to me, but what do I know?

I stand corrected, It was on "The Cars", not "Candy-O". Also, I was not implying that you didn't know anything, I was just stating my opinion. That being said, you still didn't answer my question. :) BTW, I think we agree, it's one of the all time great segue's. I'm referring to Bye Bye Love to Moving In Stereo. Moving In Stereo to All Mixed Up came 20 years later on the re-issue. And if I'm wrong on that feel free to let me know. It's late here. :D we cross posted. thanks for answering

:nopity:

God knows I could be wrong but the way I remember it those 2 songs were paired on the original 70s album...

OMG I just realized Bye Bye Love was an original Cars song as well as being the title of an old Everly Brothers tune, sorry for my confusion dB I was wondering what you were smoking, okay that makes more sense now, but this just reinforces my point that the first Cars album was an extended composition, hence my point that they are deserving of being called prog rockers...

Yeah, we're definitely in new wave territory now.

the first Cars album was an extended composition, hence my point that they are deserving of being called prog rockers...

I agree there was an artistic sensibility about The Carsand some of the other new wave bands as wellbut in my opinion, to call them "progressive rock" both waters down the meaning of progressive rock and doesn't give credit to the new wave movement The Cars were a part of.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

...I'm not backing off my original list; ELP in particular-but I can't deny tunes like "Strawberry Fields Forever" or "I am the Walrus" as being ahead of their time (progressive ?) without belonging to the dopey "Prog-Rock" community or movement as suggested heretofore.

If you wanted to get really loose with your choices, why not include the Baroque "Walk Away Rene" or "Tiny Ballerina"; or "Runaway" by Del Shannon, that used an early (again-progressive, i.e. innovative) electronic keyboard instrument years before the Mellotron on "Strawberry Fields" or Theremin on "Good Vibrations".

No-these aren't "albums", and I stand by my earlier choices-but, there are more than enough instances to expand the discussion even further.

That said-great discussion from beginning to end on a topic we all enjoy.

Wondering when the definition of what is prog was going to come up. Back in the 70's in Aus Yes, ELP, Tull, Procol Harum and most mentioned here were considered mainstream. Mainstream also covered everything from these through pop and on to CSN, Johnny Winter, Chicago and the to the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. All of these were being played on radio here or being spun at parties.

I thought genres were first created by some music reviewers in an embryonic attempt to lump bands together, which was then enthusiastically adopted by marketing geniuses at US FM stations.

In this context prog, where I was, referred only to bands like King Crimson and the Mahavishnu Orchestra where there was a heavy emphasis on improvisation as part of the live performance. And a 20 minute drum solo back in those days didn't count as prog. Not sure where the Dead would fit in this context tho.

Interesting in this thread the term has been stretched to cover almost anything from the late 60's and 70's that would not qualify as bubblegum music. Come to think of it could be possible to squeeze some of the Monkee's later output into the broader definition of prog applied in this thread.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

When I think 'classic prog', my mind jumps to songs like Watcher of the Skies, or Man- Erg. I don't at all think of anything by The Cars, let alone Monkees. To me, prog is music that makes you listen with focus and intent, pressing parts of the brain beyond the stem into use. To enjoy prog involves active participation on the part of the listener. I don't mean for that to come off as snobby, I've been in bands that played Monkees songs and had a blast doing it! But I have a hard time thinking of that as any kind of prog.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Archived