Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my nomination for best prog rock album evah

My top Prog list:

Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

Quatermass - Quatermass

H to He - Van der Graff Generator

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Ummagumma - Pink Floyd

Close to the Edge - Yes

Pawn Hearts - Van der Graff Generator

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My top choices:

Tull: Brick, Passion Play, SFTW and others... Stand Up has been mentioned, and it's a great album, but I'm not sure it's prog. Also, the Ian Anderson album Walk Into Light is a fantastic prog album.

Genesis: Selling England, Nursery Cryme - and Steve Hackett's Please Don't Touch

Strawbs: Bursting at the Seams, Hero and Heroine, Ghosts, others

VDGG: Godbluff, others

Renaissance: Turn of the Cards

Yes: Fragile, The Yes Album are my favorites, but there are lots I like. People mention Close to the Edge which is problematic for me... I love the "second side" but just never liked the title piece, which is half the album. Also, though, Chris Squire's Fish Out of Water is great.

U.K: the two studio albums

ELP: Brain Salad Surgery, Trilogy, others

Gentle Giant: In a Glass House, others

Nektar: Recycled

Ambrosia: s/t

PFM: Photos of Ghosts

KC: Court of the Crimson King

Triumvirat: Spartacus

Flash: Out of Our Hands (but all 3 albums are good)

Some lesser known bands: Stackridge (Extravaganza), Birth Control (Backdoor Possibilities)

and while Beatles and the Who are not typically listed in the prog category, I think Abbey Road and Quadrophenia are strong prog albums.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

All the ones I listed are vocal oriented. Here are some I really like that are mostly or entirely instrumental...

Hatfield and the North

Focus 3 (and Moving Waves)

Gryphon, Red Queen to Gryphon 3

Synergy (Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra)

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

Bo Hansson - Lord of the Rings

then there are some others that have non-English vocals...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

ELP- Brain Salad Surgery

Yes- Close to the Edge

Triumvirat- Spartacus

PFM- Photos of Ghosts

Renaissance- Scheherazade

Genesis- Foxtrot

That's my short list.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

...my favorites and most influential to me:

All of the ELP stuff, pre-Works 2.

Five Bridges-Nice

Greenslade (plus Spyglass Guest and Time and Tide albums)

UK-Night after Night & Danger Money

Genesis-And Then There Were Three & Duke

Patrick Moraz-The Story of i

Jan Hammer-Oh Yeah !

Hardly a "geetar" to be found...

They're *all* great albums. I'd add said "Trilogy" or "Pictures" by ELP...

Btw let me recommend a couple of albums by my friends of Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (or simply Banco for short), around 1972. They aren't well known in the USA, but these works have been voted several times as Best Prog album of all times.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zaHA1llnVU

[video:youtube]

Sadly, Francesco Di Giacomo, the lead singer and a great friend, has been killed in a car accident last month. So after 40 years and 20 albums, this is probably the end for this historical group.

Alan Parsons Project: I, Robot.

+1

Turn of a Friendly Card is on my short list too. When I was a kid, my sister had that album on 8-track (it was bright orange) and I spent hours listening to it. Eye in the Sky was ok but was a little too 'pop' for me.

Pink Floyd's WYWH and Animals, followed by Meddle. DSOM is great but the other albums really showcase Floyd in their element. Songs like Echoes, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Dogs, and Sheep is what made the Floyd shine.

There are some great albums listed here that I'll have to rediscover. Great rainy day YouTube project :snax:

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I can't get into ELP. It is over pretentious rock music. Musicianship is good but if I want to hear over the top spewing lines I will listen to Liszt.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I can't get into ELP. It is over pretentious rock music. Musicianship is good but if I want to hear over the top spewing lines I will listen to Liszt.

I love 'em.

But-the Rock establishment has had them in their cross-hairs for over 40 years.

Apparently, even keyboardists buy in to the establishment bullshit.

Really sorry to hear Francesco died. For many people his singing was an acquired taste, but I thought he was exceptional and distinctive. I didn't know Banco were friends of yours - I have been a fan since the UK release of Banco in the early 70s.

Phil

As for best progressive rock album, I'll go with Gentle Giant's Free Hand. Here's the title track:

[video:youtube]

I have always loved this tune.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

As an aside to all the prog fans... I just came back from the "Cruise to the Edge" cruise... Yes, U.K., Steve Hackett (Genesis show), Strawbs (basically the Hero & Heroine/Ghosts lineup), Renaissance, PFM, Three Friends (Gentle Giant show with two original members), Patrick Moraz, and a bunch of others. Plus musician passengers on board can get a chance to play, too. If you're into this stuff, it's a blast. If they do something like this again next year, I recommend it.

I've always been partial to Ian Anderson's more acoustic offerings, such as these:

Jethro Tull - Mother Goose

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpO_oVtXCa4

Jethro Tull - One White Duck

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FFUA5rKwTg

Jethro Tull - Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTKu-L1b--o

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Yeah, the problem with Fragile and Relayer is that theyre hit and miss: when they hit, its a bulls-eye, and when they dont, you have..To Be Over, and 5%forNothing.

Fragile always sounded strange to me. I love Heart of the Sunrise, but the version on Yessongs is far superior, especially the bass. And the individual cuts.some work, some dont.

I did have an epiphany with Fragile though: I was at a club not too long ago, and the soundguy was playing Fragile at freakin ear splitting levels. At stun level, Fragile sounds incredible. I had never felt the impact of that record the way I did that nite, at loud volumes, some of that stuff makes more sense.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Others of excellent note:

Triumvirat

Beggars Opera (have you heard their version of MacArthur Park?!!!)

Quatermass (as mentioned earlier) are pretty great. I think I picked up on them via Hammonddave.

And yeah, Red, In the Court, Starless & Bible Black, and Beat: FANTASTIC.

Meddle and Animals. Still.

Saga: Worlds Apart, Heads or Tails, and their last one 20/20.really really good. They consistently put out great albums, but those three just really get it for me.

Riverside: anything.

Bruford: especially the first two.

I think for all intents and purposes, we can add Zappa to this list. Sheik Yerbouti, Joes Garage (i/ii/iii), Apostrophe, Overnight Sensation, Roxy & Elsewhere, especially stand out for me. Until I hear something else I havent heard in a while. Then add that.

Roxy Music: Country Life.

Prog bands that didnt get it for me: Marillion, Gentle Giant, really the whole Canterbury thing goes over my head.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I love 'em.

But-the Rock establishment has had them in their cross-hairs for over 40 years.

Apparently, even keyboardists buy in to the establishment bullshit.

I don't give jack about the establishment. I just come from a classical piano background and ELP is just not that interesting. Karnevil 9, Lucky Man and 21 Century is kind of cool but a lot of it sounds like bad attempt at classical music on electric instruments. Tarkus is boring. Maybe is you smoke a lot of weed it is better. Liszt, Scrabbin, Rachmaninov, Bach ect is way more interesting.

I think the first 3 or 4 Kansas albums have simliar vibes to a lot of ELP but with a broader range of instrumentation and great harmony vocals. Kansas - Song for America - Masque - and Leftoverture is the good stuff. The later stuff got a little too commercial for me.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Dang, this is like choosing which one of your children is your favorite! I can't name one, but in addition to ones that have already been mentioned (ELP, Kansas, etc.):

Starcastle - Fountains of Light

Jan Hammer - The First Seven Days

Happy the Man - Happy the Man, Crafty Hands

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Archived