Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my nomination for best prog rock album evah

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lamb:

It's a hard album. I love 30% of it. I can see how this was album was difficult for all involved. Like Relayer, what hits on this album really hits the mark (Cage, Windshield, Lamb, etc.), and some of it, I still cant even hear in my head after all these years.

My fav Genesis is still:

England

Trick

Duke

Yes Drama really deserves a shout out!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Currently listening to Kansas first 4 albums in order. Currently on Journey From Mariabronn. Damn, Kansas was good.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I can't believe we're ths many posts into this thread and one's mentioned The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. :idk:

dB

No kidding!

Of Tull albums, my favorite is about 2/3 of Thick as a Brick, but I'd like to make my own cut of it for listening purposes (gee, I should buy it on CD to do that). The fiddly bits in the middle were cool the first time but I don't need to sit through them each time. However, some of my favorite parts are in the latter end (whilst queing for sardies at the premium canteen, or whatever he's saying).

But I really do like Benefit, Aqualung, Stand Up, and half of Living in the Past better than SFTW, and I totally wore out my copy of Passion Play, back in high school. I still play it in my head, despite not having heard it for decades. All these much more than SFTW. But maybe it's just that I'd moved on to other stuff by that album.

If I had to pick one Yes album, it'd be Yessongs. But of their studio albums it'd be hard to pick between The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge, but I'd probably pick the last. I really liked Relayer too, which nobody seemed to notice at the time. I listened to Tales of Topo Oceans a lot too; while it had some great moments, it doesn't belong on a top-of list.

My favorite ELP would be another hard pick, but probably Trilogy. However, I'm eternally grateful for being turned on to Mussorgsky by Pictures at an Exhibition! (As well as a number of other classical works I'd never have heard, as a kid.)

And of course, The Court of the Crimson King.

However, DSOM has to be the album I've played more than any other, and bought the most copies of, over the years. It's on my top 5 of all albums of all genres. (I'm a big Meddle fan, too. I'd love to play an abridged version of Echoes live!)

Is Kansas really prog rock? Whatever, I dig 'em, especially the album with Carry On My Wayward Son.

Is Kansas really prog rock?

Absolutely.

Listen to the aformentioned Song For America album (especially the

) and Masque (my fave on that album is
)....you'll have no doubt. Leftoverture (the album with Carry On Wayward Son) is pretty proggy as well - check out the last track on the album,

They started to go commercial on the ironically named Point of Know Return, and never really came back, IMO.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

As 12 year old, "Lucky man" was pretty cool, certainly interesting musically (in general I mean).

I don't think I can just call my favorites in the precise genre asked about. These are some great ones from various decades, at least proggy and rock.

Queen - Dead on Time

[video:youtube]

With keyboards:

Gary Numan - Are Friends Electric?

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEpX5NQSEz0

This one I played on stage myself, too:

Joe Jackson - You can't get what you want

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsmFYDKd-fI&feature=kp

How can this band be missing (lots of synthesizer and production of course):

ELO - Yours Truly, 2095

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5TV7JUvzo&feature=kp

This one too, I played on stage myself as well:

Living Color - Love Rears it's Ugly Head

From this time (from album with the same name):

Megadeth - Super Collider

This surely is prog rock, but in the modern Jazz, the famous, the conservatory influence:

John Scofield - Flat Out

T.V.

I've always been partial to Ian Anderson's more acoustic offerings, such as these:

Check out Ian Anderson's solo albums Secret Language of Birds and Rupi's Dance.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Great thread, it brings back soooo many fond memories! Like Rare Bird's 'As Your Mind Flies By', and Renaissance. I'll add the first Ambrosia album, along with Somewhere I've Never Travelled, and to some extent, Life Beyond LA. I think 'Nice, Nice, Very Nice' is still burned into my brain from 40 years ago!

And i just thought of Pavlov's Dog. As someone said earlier in the thread, musically speaking, it truly was a time of riches.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Saga: Worlds Apart, Heads or Tails, and their last one 20/20.really really good. They consistently put out great albums, but those three just really get it for me.

THANK you for the Saga love. "Behaviour" changed my life. "Wildest Dreams" was also very good.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I can't believe we're ths many posts into this thread and one's mentioned The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. :idk:

And it's a good thing you can't believe it, because someone did mention it. ;)

I'd like to call your attention to my second post in this thread, on page one:

Some of my favorite tracks from some of my favorite progressive rock albums:

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is not only my favorite Genesis album, it's one of my favorite progressive rock albums by any artist. :thu:

And as I like to mention whenever this subject comes up, I was lucky enough to watch Genesis perform The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway in concert before Peter Gabriel left the band. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Okay...that does qualify as a mention.... :thu:

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is not only my favorite Genesis album, it's one of my favorite progressive rock albums by any artist. :thu:

Mine, too... :wave:

...and, of course, that bad boy is totally available in 5.1...with a really cool accompying video presentation that includes many of the slides Genesis used when they played it live. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Sadly, Francesco Di Giacomo, the lead singer and a great friend, has been killed in a car accident last month. So after 40 years and 20 albums, this is probably the end for this historical group.

I'm sorry to hear that! My condolences for your loss, Carlo.

Best,

Geoff

Okay...that does qualify as a mention.... :thu:

Mine, too... :wave:

...and, of course, that bad boy is totally available in 5.1...with a really cool accompying video presentation that includes many of the slides Genesis used when they played it live. :cool:

Very cool! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

That's great , but Pink floyds Dark side of the moon takes first prize IMO , followed closely by Brick in the Wall.

I'm not sure if I would classify Dark Side of the Moon as progressive rock. It's a concept album for sure (and one of the most fantastic pieces of music ever created), but I'm not sure that it embodies all of the elements of prog (e.g. classical influences, complex time signatures and polyrhythms, etc).

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Was Prog Rock really called Prog Rock 30-40 years ago.

My friends and I listened to these bands they were just cool Rock bands. I had heard the terms Album Rock and FM Rock .... because the songs were to long to play on AM radio. LOL.

I always thought this was some modern post-label like Classic Rock.

That's great , but Pink floyds Dark side of the moon takes first prize IMO , followed closely by Brick in the Wall.

I'm not sure if I would classify Dark Side of the Moon as progressive rock. It's a concept album for sure (and one of the most fantastic pieces of music ever created), but I'm not sure that it embodies all of the elements of prog (e.g. classical influences, complex time signatures and polyrhythms, etc).

A lot of people lump together progressive rock and art rock, but I've always placed Pink Floyd in the latter camp. Of course, "Money" is in 7/4; but that's more of the exception than the rule for Floyd.

Best,

Geoff

THANK you for the Saga love.

Saga was on the cruise, too. Also, Marillion, Presto Ballet (which someone mentioned), Tangerine Dream, Stick Men (Tony Levin), Soft Machine (Legacy)...

Speaking of Presto Ballet, I also remember a nice album from Fire Ballet...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't remember it being called prog or progressive in the '70s, best I remember it was called acid rock.

My personal favorites (with my screen name, what do ya expect)

Seventh Sojurn

In Search of the Lost Chord

On the Threshold of a Dream

A Question of Balance

To our Children's Children's Children

Thick as a Brick

Court of the Crimson King

Tales of Topographic Oceans

Close to the Edge

The Dark Side of the Moon

and a bunch of others that have faded into the smoke clouds of the '70s.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Of course in Progressive Jazz Rock (Fused with nice amounts of Funk) there's Weather Report , Miles Davis' 80s projects. High-lights of The Police, Talking heads, New Order, the Cult, a number of AC/DC songs, The Clash, King Crimson (I played a song of that one too, outside of practice sessions), of course original progrock from The Cream (and Jimi Hendrix) undoubtedly songs from Led Zeppelin, and certainly Supertramp and modern (Jazz variations that interest me): Mike Stern.

Oh the new stuff. Some of it was good.

What are these guys? I liked the studio cut.

And as I like to mention whenever this subject comes up, I was lucky enough to watch Genesis perform The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway in concert before Peter Gabriel left the band. :cool:

I spent some time in deep Genesis immersion recently, around the time I saw The Musical Box, and it just reinforced how great an album The Lamb is. I love all the Gabriel era stuff, but the Lamb has really held up the most for me over the years. I really wonder what they would have done to follow it up.

My list of favorite Prog albums would have to be (at least today):

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Close To The Edge (just spent some time listening to the new Steven Wilson remix/remaster, OMG, what a treat! I've been listening to this for decades, and I hear new details in this mix)

King Crimson: Larks Tongues in Aspic or Starless & Bible Black

Gentle Giant: Free Hand or Octopus

Henry Cow: Legend

Magma: Meknaik Destruktiw Kommandoh

Soft Machine: Third

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Archived