Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond A-100 reincarnated as the new A-162

Phnymiboy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A total XK system (Leslie included) runs close to $10,000. Adding the extra wood, my guess would be 12-15 grand.
I had and sold an XK3c Traditional system. They are easy to buy and difficult to sell. I currently have a 1961 A-100 that I paid US $1200.00. I'm much happier with what I have, although I miss all the presets of the XK3c sometimes.
:nopity:

It's nice but I can't see any advantage to getting this when original A-100's are still plentiful and sell for much less than an original B-3 or this A-162. Plus you get real tonewheels, mechanical CV, tube pre-amp, amplifiers, and spring reverb in an A-100. Possibly the A-162 weighs less than an A-100 but it still takes up the same amount of space.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I don't need one of these. I can't afford it, I don't have the space for it, and my playing isn't good enough to do justice to it.

IT's REALLY nice though, isn't it..............

SSM

EDIT:- Price is circa £20,000 over here, with a Leslie 122. That's around 33,500 of your dollars!

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

It appears to be a glorified XK system with a built-in Leslie, which would also mean a non-multi contact keyboard. Still a very nice looking instrument though.

But it really isn't a glorified anything.

See article:

Hammond B3 - Sound On Sound

www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul03/articles/hammondb3.asp

They remade the B3, C3, and some models specially for gospel/praise. This is the latest one.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

SSM,

That article is from 2003 and it's about the new B3 (it's not about the new A-162).

The description of the A-162 suggests its an XK3c system primarily because of the absence of any mention of the 10 pin contact assembly under each key (I think they refer to as "direct analog keying"), which is a key differentiator of the new Hammond B3 (both original new B3 and the MkII versions) and the XK3c or SK series organs. I didn't see any mention of that in the description, so you have to assume it's an XK3c based system. It also seems obvious that it is an XK3c when you simply look at the upper manual.. it's an XK3c all the way.. I could be mistaken and perhaps it's time for one of the HS experts to chime in here... but as far as I can tell this is NOT a version of the "new B3" in an A100 style cabinet.. it is an XK3c in an A100 cabinet, which strikes me as kind of eh..

BTW, I just noticed what the refer to as a mini-B system (under the console organs section of the same site).. and it is also an XK3c system and I'm actually having a hard time differentiating that from the "XK Vintage System" in the portable keyboards/organs section...? Does anyone know if these are one in the same system?

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Did you? :)

The article predates this organ by 11 years. I read the spec sheet on Hammond's web site. They don't mention the individual key contacts when describing the A162. When describing the New B3, they mention "direct analog keying" as well as the tone generator.

The final nail in the coffin is that the keyboard offers touch response percussion.

*yawn* - just another clonewheel AFAICT, but real nice wood around it...

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Craig & WesG,

I know that the SOS article is from 2003. It references the B3 mark ll. I also read up on the console organs on the Hammond USA site, which also references the B3 mark ll. Therefore, I assume that these are the same machine. Next to this, is a C3 mark ll, with identical specs, apart from the casing.

On the next line is the A162, (available in May 2014).

The blurb says:

The original A-100 was a self-contained instrument needing no external speakers, providing the inimitable Hammond tone in a compact footprint, having all the features of the Hammond flagship, at a more modest price. The New Model A-162 continues that tradition.

Using the same VASE III Tonal Engine as the top-of-the-line B-3mkII, the new A-162 gives all the power and sound expected from a Hammond, with the familiar reverse-key presets, Touch-Response Percussion, Chorus-Vibrato, and twin waterfall keyboards with 25-note pedalboard.

End of blurb.

If this does not have the "direct analog keying" to make it the equivalent of the new B3/C3, only with an added sound system, I am going to be extremely pissed off with Hammond. Their juxtaposition of their model range pics certainly made it seem that way to me.

If this is the case, and I am wrong, I apologise unreservedly to anyone on the forum who may have read my posts in this thread, especially bill bosco & mak1457.

SSM

SSM,

I think the point is that this article preceeds the A-162 by 11 years, and it says nothing about the A-162. It describes the technology in the new B3/MkII including the VASE III engine that is common across the New B3/MkII organs, the XK3c, the SK series, and the new A-162, and some of which is not common across all of those products (the "direct analog keying").

The "direct analog keying" is exclusive to the new B3/MkII and B3 portable, and the fact that it seems to be absent on the A-162 pretty much ensures that this new A-162 is nothing more than an Xk3c system, in a pretty box, which is what a number of folks have been saying here (which you seem to be disagreeing with).

If this new A-162 DID have a "real" new B3 inside it, with it's "direct analog keying" technology this would be a much more significant product.. as it is, it's kind of eh, who cares, nothing more than a pretty XK3c system..

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I think the A-162 is a hybrid of the New B3 MKII/XK-3c and the SK/XK-1c. It doesn't appear to have the Pitch Bend and Mod. wheels or the 6 knobs and buttons of the XK-3c. It has two sets of drawbars - 1 for each manual (and it may have A#/B mode) like the XK-3c. It has digital Overdrive like the XK-1c not tube like the New B3 MkII or XK-3c. It doesn't seem to have the multi-contact circuitry of the New B3 MkII keybeds (so basically the XK-3c/System keybeds).

It also has pipe organ sounds like the SK/XK-1c along with manual coupling abilities like a pipe organ.

It seems to be an organ designed to fit a particular market/need.

Thanks for the clarification JMcS!

It does sound like more of a hybrid to me, and I'm sure there's a market for it. It doesn't seem to have the multi-contact circuitry of the New B3 MKII line of products.. and this is a very significant differentiator.. so for many of us here this A-162 probably isn't a big deal, but it sounds like SSM is going to be pissed off ;-)

Do you happen to know if there is a difference between the Vintage XK system and the mini-B3 that appear in the different sections on the Hammond site (portable vs console sections)..? Are these the same product? If not what's the difference, if any?

Craig MacDonald

I think the A-162 is a hybrid of the New B3 MKII/XK-3c and the SK/XK-1c. It doesn't appear to have the Pitch Bend and Mod. wheels or the 6 knobs and buttons of the XK-3c. It has two sets of drawbars - 1 for each manual (and it may have A#/B mode) like the XK-3c. It has digital Overdrive like the XK-1c not tube like the New B3 MkII or XK-3c. It doesn't seem to have the multi-contact circuitry of the New B3 MkII keybeds (so basically the XK-3c/System keybeds).

It also has pipe organ sounds like the SK/XK-1c along with manual coupling abilities like a pipe organ.

It seems to be an organ designed to fit a particular market/need.

It looks as though you are right (as usual when it comes to Hammond) JMcS. As such, it is a huge disappointment to me, and nowhere near as desirable as the B3/C3 mark ll would be.

However, I'm sure that it will suit some people, and will sell.

SSM

Really, who would buy this POS? Buy a used A100! It feels better, sounds better, and it will run for another 50 years. Just try to get any new H/S product repaired in 15 years when all the electronics are unavailable.

$15,000? What a waste of money.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

This is a nice digital organ.

It is about price point. This is probably about half the cost of the New B3. It is cheaper for a reason. Personally would rather get a refurbed vintage A-100 and a Leslie. It cost less and is a better organ.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Really, who would buy this POS? Buy a used A100! It feels better, sounds better, and it will run for another 50 years. Just try to get any new H/S product repaired in 15 years when all the electronics are unavailable.

$15,000? What a waste of money.

I agree 100% about buying a used A100 Hammonddave. Unfortunately, as I have stated before, they come on the UK market rarely, if at all.

SSM

Thanks for the clarification JMcS!

Do you happen to know if there is a difference between the Vintage XK system and the mini-B3 that appear in the different sections on the Hammond site (portable vs console sections)..? Are these the same product? If not what's the difference, if any?

All of the Systems and the Mini-B are XK-3c based. The Vintage System is a cabinet similar to the Traditional System's but with turned legs. It seems to be foldable like the Traditional System just with different finishes. The Mini-B has a cabinet more like a B3's (ie: the angled board under the lower manual) and the sides are smooth from top to bottom. The Vintage System stand is a little recessed under the manual cabinet.

I think the Vintage System and Mini-B cabinets are made in the US by a high end contract wood products manufacturer. The Mini-B is shipped fully assembled from the factory. Since some of the Vintage System finishes are special order, they may be direct shipped (unassembled) as well.

The Mini-B comes with a 122XB-SE Leslie. In the spec section of the web page it mentions a 971SE. IIRC when the Mini-B was first introduced it was coupled with a lower powered 971. Maybe they just renamed the Leslie a 122XB-SE because that is what people are more familiar with. I couldn't find anything about how the 122XB-SE is different from the 122XB but I think it is a much simpler wood cabinet without molding on the top and bottom. The 971 has been updated and is now the 981 - the 981 is basically a 3300 in a larger wood cabinet.

I was told years ago that there was some thought to bringing out a version of the XK-3 with almost all of the menu system hidden/disabled. There was some resistance by churches to an instrument where anyone could make changes and leave it. While it may have been unintentional, the organist could show up for a service, start to play and find all new presets, and other changes. They didn't bring that version out.

While a Vintage Hammond may have its charm and may in fact continue to run for many more years, it is still very old. Even ones that sound great can have busbars that are worn/scratchy so that not every drawbar tone works on every key every time. There may be a few that don't sound if the key isn't hit just right. There may also be keys that clatter when hit and other little anomalies. These will either be all the things that give your organ its charm or little things that drive you up the wall every time you hear them. Fixing them can be done but unless one can do it oneself it can get expensive.

If I ever buy a nice series 3 organ for inside the home I plan on spending a lot of $$$'s. It won't be much cheaper than this A-162.

I am going to do it once and do it right and something that has be restored by a pro. I have a B3 but it aint coming in the house. Maybe when I retire I can refinsh the cabinet and have a tech redo the innards.

They don't make these things anymore.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I hope the "built in Leslie" is a better sound/design than the ones they put in the 70's and 80's Hammonds! Must be the XK3's digital sim going into the speakers.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

I hope the "built in Leslie" is a better sound/design than the ones they put in the 70's and 80's Hammonds! Must be the XK3's digital sim going into the speakers.

If it's the same sim they put in the XK-1c and with good speakers, you'll be surprised how well it sounds after a bit of tweaking.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

I'm kind of wondering who the target audience is. Yes it does have an internal Leslie but so what? In my thinking, there's way too many compromises with an internal Leslie (I'm wondering where do you find the space to put both a horn and a drum). Then too, I'd rather have the freedom to place my Leslie wherever it sounds best. I guess if you want it for your home, it's a space saver. But does H/S even have that sort of customer? All that to say, I'd rather just go with an XK system.

Hammond XK1-c, Hammond XPK-100, Yamaha FC-7, Spacestation V3

Archived