Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond A-100 reincarnated as the new A-162

Phnymiboy

My GUESS. The market is smallish churches and Non-US individuals.

Hammond put out some cool stuff they will not sell in the US. Life the 3300W.

H/S doesn't revolve around the US market. Vintage organ are hard to come by in some places.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has internal speakers and the digital Leslie. A real Leslie can be connected and then the PR-40 tone cabinet simulation used with the internal speakers for a Leslie/TC combination.

From the webpage information:

"Its small footprint is perfect for smaller Churches, Chapels, Schools, Homes and Studios"

It might not be your organ but it will probably be somebody's. Hammond has enough models with a wide variety of feature combinations from the XK-1c to the New B3 MkII that one of them should be just right for most people.

As said before, My guess is that the Leslie is a digital sim, not a rotating or sideways drum/horn.

Yeah I can see that now from the description from H/S. I guess that would probably lower the cost. Then again, though, for the amount of money they're asking, I'd still rather have a real Leslie.

Hammond XK1-c, Hammond XPK-100, Yamaha FC-7, Spacestation V3

I read through the previous posts and didn't see anything about the price other than a number posted by Hammondave. I don't think that is actual information from Hammond US.

The EU version of the Mini-B looks different from the US version. I couldn't find any information on a EU version of the A-162. Since the cabinets for the US versions of both are made in the US there may not be a EU A-162.

That SOS article made me realize just how long it's been since Hammond updated it's sound engine from the ground up. They've been milking VASE III for at least 11 years. There have been incremental OS updates here and there. From Hammond's perspective do you think it's a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it," or do you think a major overhaul is due? Everyone has their own taste in Hammond/Clonewheel sound, But do you think this decade old sound engine can still hold up, especially with the likes of competitors like the MOJO? Do you think Hammond can go there with VASE III? People criticize keyboard companies over dated sounds daily. Kurzweil milked that triple strike piano so long it became the punchline of many a joke on this forum.

Just curious.

1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

I've always wanted to install a real Leslie with right side up drums and horns and louvers firing from 3 sides inside of an M3 or A-100 somehow. It probably could be done with a 12"drum/speaker firing out the side front and back but a box would have to go on top for the horn. The "space saver" Hammond/ Leslie combo. Then again a Vent with 2 powered speakers could pretty much do that job!

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

... They've been milking VASE III for at least 11 years.... From Hammond's perspective do you think it's a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it," or do you think a major overhaul is due? Everyone has their own taste in Hammond/Clonewheel sound, but do you think this decade old sound engine can still hold up, especially with the likes of competitors like the MOJO?

I have a Hammond XK3c and XK1c and am very happy with their sound, feel, layout and look, although I am hopeful that Hammond will incorporate the XK1c's better-sounding percussion and chorus/vibrato in an upgraded or new version of the XK3c.

I also like what I have seen and heard online of the Crumar Mojo, but until there is a local supplier where I can try it or get support, it seems too risky for me.

JMcS,

THANKS for all the info on the mini/vintage models.. it's hard to differentiate all of these models.. I need a spreadsheet ;-)

Appreciate the info!!

Craig

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

You're welcome. Hopefully Hammond will update the online catalog soon so all the information is in one document. It is a PITA to have to keep switching from one tab to another to compare specs and other data.

The one thing that is constant about the organ models other than the multi-contact circuitry in the keybeds in the flagship New B3 models is that they are all XK-3c based. Which guarantees that there will be future generations of the XK-3c.

IMO, YMMV, Yada Yada Yada

[

I also like what I have seen and heard online of the Crumar Mojo, but until there is a local supplier where I can try it or get support, it seems too risky for me.

The support from Crumar is absolutely SUPERB. Ask anyone who has dealt with them. If you have a query, it is not unusual to get a reply from Andrea or Guido within hours, never mind days.

They will take your suggestions on board, and if they think your ideas are good will sometimes build them in to a software update if possible.

Brilliant company to deal with.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

H/S doesn't revolve around the US market. Vintage organ are hard to come by in some places.

This made me chuckle, as for the last few months, my main thought about H/S is that "it revolves around the US market".

For instance, there is NOT ONE B3 mark 2 in any shop or online store anywhere in the UK.

You would be hard pressed to find a single used B3/C3/A100 up for sale in the UK. I've been keeping a casual eye on the market for 6 months, and in that time, one (fairly ropey) example has come up.

Over there, you have B3guys, and Hammond Organ World are advertising 68!!! used Hammonds for sale. There are several other outlets too.

We seem to be wandering in a desert, and my perception - rightly or wrongly - is that over there, you are drowning in the damned things.

Fair enough, but please don't tell me that you are ill served in the US. I realise that you may have to travel some distance, but there are still options. We have none.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

One of Hammonds most cool products is/was the 3300W. (I don't know if it is still on the market).

Was never released in the US. Not available in the US. It is a 3300 in a traditional wooden cabinet.

http://www.hammond.eu/3300w.htm

Not bad. The XK33c Traditional Pro Rig will run 8 grand.

Yes.

Organs are expensive. You should go shopping for new Church or Threater Organs.

Look at Allen, Gulbransen, Rodgers etc.... Hammond is very price competitive.

One of Hammonds most cool products is/was the 3300W. (I don't know if it is still on the market).

Was never released in the US. Not available in the US. It is a 3300 in a traditional wooden cabinet.

http://www.hammond.eu/3300w.htm

No idea why that was. Still available here, special order only, £3159 ($5300).

Thomann do them, and I think they ship to the US, but I dread to think what the carriage charges would be.

SSM

[i also like what I have seen and heard online of the Crumar Mojo, but until there is a local supplier where I can try it or get support, it seems too risky for me.

The support from Crumar is absolutely SUPERB.... Brilliant company to deal with.

I do get the impression from this and other forums that Crumar are very responsive; however, there is nowhere on my side of the world that I can try a Mojo or get parts or repairs promptly if needed.

Archived