Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

#1 Pop Hit in the world now ("Happy" - Pharrell Williams)

Jazz+

#1 on Billboard's Hot 100, biggest song in the world right now... I like it and it makes me feel happy.

[video:youtube]

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it would make a pretty good mashup with this track:

[video:youtube]

Best,

Geoff

That would be a good mashup.

I love this remix of the OP.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNZlDS_cTc4

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Verses remind me of "Compared To What"

Choruses changes are reminiscent of what... Bobby Caldwell? Earth Wind & Fire, Grover Washington, Stevie Wonder?

"Happy" Chorus:

||: Dbmaj7| Eb/F | Eb/F | F7 :||

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

The fact that this song was written, produced, and performed all by Pharrell himself is a rare thing in #1 pop hits today.

The first thread seemed like one too many. Let's talk about some really obscure sh%t so we can all feel hip again.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I made a lead sheet with Sibelius for my solo piano gig book. I used the first 16 bars of "The In Crowd" in F (not the bridge part that goes to the III ) and then I added the Chorus of "Happy"

I made a lead sheet with Sibelius for my solo piano gig book. I used the first 16 bars of "The In Crowd" in F (not the bridge part that goes to the III ) and then I added the Chorus of "Happy"
I'd like to hear that! :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Playing it as a first dance in about half an hour. We're getting a lot of requests for it from clients in their booking forms. Fun song on keys, though I've been thrown the high harmonies too. Not so fun.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

#1 on Billboard's Hot 100, biggest song in the world right now... I like it and it makes me feel happy.

OK so I finally broke down and watched this video. Honestly had never heard the song. Ever. (Yes, I keep myself boxed up pretty well.) :)

Although I flound it harmless, maybe even liked it a little, it seemed very repetive. I'm guessing there is a radio edit that is less than 4 minutes. Seems like 2 minutes would be plenty. Certainly if a cover band is doing it they should do the 12 minute extended dance version. :D

:nopity:

OK so I finally broke down and watched this video.

There's a 24-hour long video, too.

http://24hoursofhappy.com/

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

For pop I think this stuff is cool. Interesting thread I'm diggin it, thanks for the vids. I really like Tightrope and Get Lucky. If I was in a modern dance band I'd do those two in a heartbeat. I agree Happy is bubblegum'ish but hey, they're happy and I would rather my kids listen to this than rap about bitches and ho's.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Archived