Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg announces all new ARP Odyssey

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the Little Brother and the Anvil case as well....not sure any of that was free, to long ago to remember.

The only issue my Ody suffered was intermittent keys making contact. A repair guy showed me how to lift the keys assembly and wipe down the 2 gold busbars with alcohol. Once every couple months took care of that.

The prototype pic is based on the later MkII - but there is an additional switch in the the filter section. 12/24db perhaps? Happy to see some company do this (was only a matter of time?). Just praying they don't do a "mini" version!!! I still have my Ody MkII (restored) and bought a Little Brother on ebay to go with it. It's a pretty cool combo together.
PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

I owned an Odyssey and sure in the 70's, I thought it was amazing. After many years of owning newer, poly synths, I still owned ARP but it was now in closet. I remember taking it out and thinking how limited and thin sounded it was. At the time, I chose it over MiniMoog cause it was 2-note polyphonic. I think the newer analogs are a better choice.

I think bringing back 2600 would be a better idea.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/EMS_at_MIM_Synthesizer.jpg/620px-EMS_at_MIM_Synthesizer.jpg

Busch.

B-7. You sunk my battleship!

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

My first reaction to the KORG Odyssey news release was good until I saw David Friend's name. Then my perception became lukewarm. It's probably my own personal bias.

I believed Friend accelerated ARP's demise because he squandered scarce R&D resources on the failed Avatar. Those R&D resources would have been better utilized in developing ARP's Chroma (20/20 hindsight I guess).

It's probably just me.

Steve Coscia

Having owned a white face model since 1973, I wonder if the Korg version will allow the filter to be driven into self-oscillation like the original, therefore creating the Edgar Winter 'Frankenstein' sweep sound. Although I like the versatility of the Roland GAIA I have, the resonance filter is not even close to the ARP and Moog synths of old.

Another thing that will be of interest is the compatibility of the new components with an older version like I have. It would be great if they will as it means a source for parts will be available for people with original models of the synth.

Anxious to see what it will be like, but probably wouldn't buy one since I have an original that still works.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

I despise mini-keys! That said, I never use the keyboard on my MkII Ody even though Kevin Lightner restored it to better than new condition with new bushings, contacts, etc. I use a Kenton USB Solo to midi it to my Kurz PC1se. That way, I can use the pitch/mod wheels AND aftertouch - avoiding the pitch wheel and sliders for expression/modulation.

Only mini-key synth I own is a MicroKorg, and I never use the keyboard on that either - have a controller keyboard for that use.

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

I'm really excited about this! :D If the price is right, I'm going to buy one for sure.

I'd be fine if Korg releases the Odyssey with the same mini-keys as the MS-20 Mini. The MS-20 Mini keys aren't like those on the microKORG or Microbrute; they're very playable, imo. For synths with limited polyphony, I think smaller keys actually increases versatility (you could play greater intervals). For everything else, there's the convenience of using MIDI controllers.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

My first reaction to the KORG Odyssey news release was good until I saw David Friend's name. Then my perception became lukewarm. It's probably my own personal bias.

I believed Friend accelerated ARP's demise because he squandered scarce R&D resources on the failed Avatar. Those R&D resources would have been better utilized in developing ARP's Chroma (20/20 hindsight I guess).

It's probably just me.

We've all read that article on ARP's history that's circulated over the years. I don't see why that would apply here; Korg is calling the shots.

It's probably just me.

We've all read that article on ARP's history that's circulated over the years. I don't see why that would apply here; Korg is calling the shots.

A good engineer does not necessarily a good businessman make.

Moe

---

This is the first synth I ever laid eyes on, circa 1974.

Yeah, it was the first synth I ever played. I didn't own one but a friend of mine in high school (who got me into ELP) had one and was demonstrating it to me in early 1975. I played it a little at band practice but it was going through its own little speaker setup (with the ARP logo) and no one could hear it through the din of the band!

I had a loaner in 1982 for a concert but barely touched it as I had 4 other keyboards of mine own already.

Man, with Moog, Dave Smith, Vintage Vibe, etc. and now this it's really amazing how things have come back from 33+ years ago. If you jumped ahead in time from back then you'd had no idea that many companies/synths bit the dust before they had a return. What next, a new Ensoniq Mirage/ESQ-1??? :D

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Odyssey never really blew my skirt up. But, with Korg also owning the SCI rights, what's next? A new Prophet-5? They could actually do that...

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

A friend of mine still has his MicroMoog..member those? Fat little bugger. When I had the ODy/lil brother, I also got the...tadaa, Arp String ensemble. Was amazing the stuff I used to carry around in those days. Needed a van. Now I go with a hatchback :D

Korg you have my permission to recreate the Putney.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/EMS_at_MIM_Synthesizer.jpg/620px-EMS_at_MIM_Synthesizer.jpg

Busch.

This is the very first synth I laid eyes on. Switched On Bach had just come out and I became a synthesizer fanatic, reading the Nonesuch Guide to Electronic Music and trying to master esoteric terms like "oscillator" and "voltage control". The Mini Moog and Odyssey had not even been invented yet, and you could not go to a music store to see one.

I came home one day, and there in my house was the local music professor from the university, demonstrating this new fangled synthesizer thing to a group of my mother's stunned piano teacher friends!

A few years later, Mom had added a Roland HP piano and midi module to her piano studio, and all her students spent part of their lesson time each week sequencing stuff onto mini discs.

Moe

---

with Korg also owning the SCI rights, what's next?

Although some SCI people ended up at Korg at one time or another (and may be still there?), AFAIK, Yamaha owns SCI rights, they bought the company.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Odyssey never really blew my skirt up. But, with Korg also owning the SCI rights, what's next? A new Prophet-5? They could actually do that...

..Joe

I doubt it, since Dave Smith brought the Prophet name with him to Dave Smith Instruments, and has since released two new Prophet models, both in production.

with Korg also owning the SCI rights, what's next?

Although some SCI people ended up at Korg at one time or another (and may be still there?), AFAIK, Yamaha owns SCI rights, they bought the company.

IIRC, Yamaha had a controlling interest in Korg back in the late `80s. That was about the time Korg released a couple of FM synths that were like a poor man's DX7. Then Korg released the Wavestation, which was rescued and improved from SCI's Prophet VS. Korg had major success with this and the M1, and the next thing you know, Yamaha was the one releasing a poor man's Wavestation. (SY22/TG33) I lost track of who was controlling who by then. :laugh:

><>

Steve

..Joe

I doubt it, since Dave Smith brought the Prophet name with him to Dave Smith Instruments, and has since released two new Prophet models, both in production.

Yeah but how about a Pro One? That would be pretty cool.

Wouldn't mind seeing an OB-1 either.

Honestly Voyager notwithstanding there really isn't a faithful reissue of the Minimoog (which would really get everyone excited). It should be do-able from a practical standpoint because there's not that much to the internal guts of one. Korg couldn't call it a "Moog" of course, but because this is a miniaturized reissue series they may be able to get around any legal issues with Moog Music.

Honestly Voyager notwithstanding there really isn't a faithful reissue of the Minimoog (which would really get everyone excited). It should be do-able from a practical standpoint because there's not that much to the internal guts of one. Korg couldn't call it a "Moog" of course, but because this is a miniaturized reissue series they may be able to get around any legal issues with Moog Music.

Why would Korg do this when Moog Music is alive and well? Makes no sense. I think Korg have struck gold with ARP; there's plenty more to mine.