Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg announces all new ARP Odyssey

Dave Bryce

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is cool, really cool. I would like to see those pressure pads eliminated, or updated, or something.....I preferred the simple knob to those.

Also, keeping the CV ins & outs like the newer ones had would be essential.

Very cool! :cool: I guess this now completes the resurrection of all the most famous synth manufacturers from the `70s. So far ARP has been the last one to the party, so it's interesting that they're rising again under Korg's wing. The fact that David Friend is overseeing the design definitely gives it authenticity, but where's Alan? :confused:

My first synth was a white faced Oddy - I wonder if Korg will issue it as either white or black faced? :cool:

><>

Steve

Wow that's crazy! Sales of the MS-20 Mini must be strong (and profitable). Otherwise, I can't see Korg even wanting to go there.

Yeah it's probably going shrunk down like jeans in a dryer - complete with mini keys. Korg already demonstrated with the King Korg that they really don't care about giving us players a decent keyboard.

Bringing David Friend on board was a nice touch but not really necessary.

The Oddy was never a fav of mine so I'll let the rest of you get all excited about this. To me it's intriguing though... wonder if Korg is going to redo more vintage synths.

Alan is what, 88 years old now? He's hopefully enjoying his retirement.

Yeah, but it would be cool to at least get his endorsement of it when it comes out. Hopefully he'll live long enough to see it happen. :cool:

Korg's pic shows a blackface, so that's what I would expect.

Maybe. The pic is a prototype, so it's certainly not the last word. Besides, we all know how the manufacturers always consult Keyboard Corner for their designs... ;):laugh:

><>

Steve

Korg already demonstrated with the King Korg that they really don't care about giving us players a decent keyboard.

I actually don't find the King Korg keyboard bad as long as you're playing sounds that are not velocity-sensitive. One of the worst actions ever for piano, but for organ or VA (or real A) synth, not bad (the original analog synths not being velocity sensitive).

Bringing David Friend on board was a nice touch but not really necessary.

Maybe he ended up owning the rights to the name and/or design.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I actually don't find the King Korg keyboard bad as long as you're playing sounds that are not velocity-sensitive. One of the worst actions ever for piano, but for organ or VA (or real A) synth, not bad (the original analog synths not being velocity sensitive).

The King Korg didn't even pass the "Ab Triad" test when I tried it out. The blacks are hinged so poorly that the only note that sounded was Middle C :( a shame since it's a nice sounding VA. But the blacks don't trigger reliably once you move into the action.

That is what happened when I trued to play the Krome 61 Saturday. That sucked. It was just a practice session thank goodness. Terrible.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

This is the first synth I ever laid eyes on, circa 1974.

When I was working for an instrument repair shop (2009) we saw several ARP Oddys come in for repair... we had to turn them away because we couldn't source the slider pots, which were prone to collect dust and grime. That could be an issue even with the new models. I like it but those cute sliders would be a concern.

This is the first synth I ever laid eyes on, circa 1974.

When I was working for an instrument repair shop (2009) we saw several ARP Oddys come in for repair... we had to turn them away because we couldn't source the slider pots, which were prone to collect dust and grime. That could be an issue even with the new models. I like it but those cute sliders would be a concern.

I'm wondering about them too. The video that I just posted commented that the slider pots are all but guaranteed to get scratchy.

The King Korg didn't even pass the "Ab Triad" test when I tried it out. The blacks are hinged so poorly that the only note that sounded was Middle C :( a shame since it's a nice sounding VA. But the blacks don't trigger reliably once you move into the action.

Yup, that's exactly the problem, the back half of the black keys are pretty useless. When I'm playing a sound where I'm not trying to get any velocity finesse out of it, though, I can play with enough force that I can get a little more usability out of the black keys, enough so that I don't really find it an impediment for the kind of synth work it's geared toward. If you had struck that Ab triad with more force, it probably would have sounded all the keys. So I find the KK okay if you can play it forcefully, and are using it for the kinds of sounds where that makes sense. But it's not a board where you can lightly dance over the keys or have subtle control.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

+1

Better then that this new Odyssey has the MS-20 Mini action.

Interesting how there seems to be a trend back to hardware.... Love it!

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.