Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-06 and FA-08

I created my custom studioset by writing the studioset that comes up on reboot to the 1st user slot then I edited it.

Does anybody know why slot 16 is gray and will not play? It was originally some sort a drum patch and I replaced it with a SN synth but it won't play from the keyboard. Does 16 have to be a drum thing?

On that part, is the "Keyboard" option ticked? (little tiny yellow dot to the right of the name of the patch loaded.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greyed out I think means that slot is assigned to the sampler pads.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

My local finally got an FA-08 and an RD800 in.

I just spent an hour on the FA-08. Great sounds, and I could figure out how to navigate fairly easily. The pads are cool.

WARNING Subjective content ahead:

Overall I was disappointed. I'm not sure what it is about the keybed on these particular Roland products. From the RD700, to the RD800, and even the FA08. To me, they bottom out too hard and fast. I just can't get used to them. Again, a very subjective thing. The keys aren't stiff, but it feels like I'm hitting concrete at the bottom of the travel. I don't play that hard, so it's not like I'm banging on the keys with maximum velocity

That aside, I am sure those who like the action will really like the new FA. It has lots of cool features and sounds.

The FA-06 I could play easily and was very nice, but I have a good 61 board (my MOX). If I didn't like or need the Yamaha Motif sounds, the FA-06 would be in the running.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

EscapeRocks,

You bring up a great point regarding the action. I have been comparing the action of the MOXF8 to that of the FA08. I am trying to "convince" myself that the FA08 is the way to go for my next keyboard purchase. I guess partly because I have historically been a "Roland purchaser". However, to me the action on the FA08 does feel "unnatural" in that there is a sudden "stop" at the end of the key depression. (In contrast, the action of the 700NX is much better and more "lifelike". Although the MOXF8 is not "weighted" in the same manner, the entire depression feels more "natural" and steady in progression. At the end of the day, as many have mentioned though, it is all subjective and a matter of opinion.

bd:

Your thoughts on it are just like mine. Again very subjective. I gigged with an MOX8 for a few years and while "not weighted in the same manner" as the Roland, as you said, I liked the keybed a lot better than the Roland.

Personally, I feel my Casio PX350's keybed is better than both the MOX8 and FA08. That's another direction though since it's not a workstation.

I also played a new Korg SV1 while at the shop, and I had forgotten how much I liked the RH3 keys.

Anyhow, I don't want to get too off track of the Roland topic here.

As far as machines go, I think the new FA's are very cool, and I may end up with an FA06 eventually to add to my arsenal.

One thing I really liked about the new FA's was that the navigation, to me, was a lot easier to figure out than the first time I sat down with a Jupiter 50 or 80.

Heck maybe I'll just get an Integra for the Roland sounds :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

As I just posted in another forum, I have been hesitating between the FA and the MOXF. I am fond of the MOXF's sounds (more varied, in my opinion stronger in acoustic and across a wider variety of sounds than the FA) and the stronger arpeggiator. But I'm leaning toward getting the FA for ease of use, and because I mainly perform live with a classic rock and 80s cover band. I anticipate recreating 1970s, 80s, and 90s synth sounds, and for live shows the ability to split/layer the keyboard 16 ways and also trigger sample pads is attractive. I figure I can save up for a Motif rack of some kind down the road and control it from the FA.

I'm also hesitating between the FA-08 and the -06, which may come down to my decision to keep or replace my Ensoniq ZR-76. The ZR has weighted keys with a slightly lighter action, making it a bit more versatile for synth/organ playing than the FA-08, which on first playing I find a little bit stiff. I'm considering either adding the FA-06 as a second-tier board, or replacing the ZR with the FA-08 and dropping about 14 lb. in weight from the ZR's hefty 50 lb.

Even though I'm not in love with the FA-08's action, I'm leaning toward getting it because 61 keys doesn't seem quite enough for some of the piano parts I play, and it also seems a shame not to have an 88-key keyboard when you can create such a large number of splits.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

"Have a good time ... all the time. That's my philosophy, Marty."

I played the FA08 and I have an MOX8... prefer the action of FA08. Felt like the acoustic grand of the recitals room from the local conservatory. The only thing is... I miss the third sensor. Felt like only 2 sensors... but no problem, don't need a keyboard like FA08 for classical playing.

I figure I can save up for a Motif rack of some kind down the road and control it from the FA. (Quote from Benjaminimus)

This is what I'm also thinkin' down the road....hopefully loaded with the latest and greatest!

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

I figure I can save up for a Motif rack of some kind down the road and control it from the FA.

I'm also hesitating between the FA-08 and the -06, which may come down to my decision to keep or replace my Ensoniq ZR-76. The ZR has weighted keys with a slightly lighter action, making it a bit more versatile for synth/organ playing than the FA-08, which on first playing I find a little bit stiff. I'm considering either adding the FA-06 as a second-tier board, or replacing the ZR with the FA-08 and dropping about 14 lb. in weight from the ZR's hefty 50 lb.

How about an FA-08, and an MX49/61 above? That kind of gives you the "FA-08 plus Motif Rack" scenario you want, along with an action more suitable than the FA-08's for organ/synth playing, and the two combined weight less than your ZR.

Or of course you can spring for the MOXF6 on top. Or switch it, and put MOXF8 on bottom and FA-06 on top, which is the smaller and lighter way to go, and gives you the organ/synth action on the board you're more likely to be using for organ/synth sounds (and at least in my case, piano action on the board I'd want to use for piano sounds) without having to tinker with MIDI.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

EscapeRocks,

Great point!!!! Let's get the Integra. It's interesting that you mention the FA06. Although, I have not demo'd it, I have seen several comments posted online from those that have played it that seem to indicate that the action is a bit different (better) on the 6 than the 8. Go figure!!!!

So, 3 additional questions:

(1) Is there currently a Motif rack on the market?

(2) Would we agree (or disagree) that the overall piano

offerings of the MOXF8 seem to be more "realistic" or

"responsive" in sound and "playability" than those of the

FA08?

(3) Can sampled sounds be uploaded to the MOXF8 as well (like

the FA08)?

I have seen several comments posted online from those that have played it that seem to indicate that the action is a bit different (better) on the 6 than the 8. Go figure!!!!

Well they are definitely very different... 88 weighted piano action keys vs. 61 synth action keys... but when people talk about comparing the actions, they are not really comparing the 88 to the 61 per se, they are really considering how the 88 compares to other 88s, and how the 61 compares to other 61s, so really, it's perfectly reasonably that one would fare better than the other, relative to other actions of the same type. IOW, they're not saying that the 61 is better than the 88 for the things you would want an 88 for; rather, they're saying that the 61 is a better 61 than the 88 is an 88.

So, 3 additional questions:

(1) Is there currently a Motif rack on the market?

(2) Would we agree (or disagree) that the overall piano

offerings of the MOXF8 seem to be more "realistic" or

"responsive" in sound and "playability" than those of the

FA08?

(3) Can sampled sounds be uploaded to the MOXF8 as well (like

the FA08)?

1: Motif Rack XS. But notably, it doesn't have the flash card expansion capability that the MOXF.

2: That's subjective, and I doubt there will be consensus, but personally, yes, I would take the MOXF over the FA for piano. I got to play the FA08 a little more this week, and I really dislike the piano. My biggest complaint is in the dynamics. They seem terribly exaggerated to me. When you play quietly, it sounds like an entirely different piano from when you play loud. Real pianos don't change as dramatically in timbre as the FA piano does. But maybe there are other pianos sounds in it that are better than the 01 sound.

3. MOXF and FA can both play samples, but entirely differently. FA plays single shot samples assigned to pads; MOXF has no pads. FA has what appears to be 128 mb memory into which you can download sampled sounds supplied by Roland (the SRX libraries); MOXF has no sample memory standard, but you can load 1024 mb into it, and then you can load additional downloadable sounds, not only ones supplied by Yamaha, but also ones supplied by third parties, as well as samples you create yourself.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I played the FA08 and I have an MOX8... prefer the action of FA08. Felt like the acoustic grand of the recitals room from the local conservatory. The only thing is... I miss the third sensor. Felt like only 2 sensors... but no problem, don't need a keyboard like FA08 for classical playing.

FA keybed has no three sensors ? I thought it did ? Can someone confirm this ? For all I know it's the Yammie Mox that has a two sensor keybed. For the other stuff ; purely subjective. I do like the Roland AP over the Yammie exactly BECAUSE of the dynamics (SN engine). You do have to tweak the touch curve settings however , the factory set is far from perfect (to say the least) . Should be somewhere between medium and light and more carefully tweaked. Pitty you can only offset the velocity - which is not the same thing.

When auditioning these instruments, it is worth remembering that even with "romplers", the factory sounds are not engraved in stone.

By tweaking just the EQ, other effects, and velocity, you may be able to come up with piano sounds that are more exactly suited to your tastes.

And, of course, sounds can work much differently when in the mix, whether recording or playing in a band.

These instruments come with 1,000 - 2,000 presets, and there is always so much attention paid to solo, acoustic piano sounds. When composing and recording my own music, I have to remember that I actually don't use very much acoustic piano in my material. And when I've played in cover bands over the years, I've used these instruments for so much more than acoustic piano. Actually, when in bands I've probably used organ sounds a lot more than APs, and while I haven't used brass as much, coming up with realistic brass patches is probably more difficult (and at times, more critical) than seeking out the world's greatest AP.

Anyhow, I remember when I first heard a Roland Sound Canvas, back in the 90's, and thought it's acoustic piano sound was just killer. Listen to it now. :)

Bottom line is that I think the APs in both the MOX and the FA are completely playable and usable by any standard. The differences are quite subjective and the preferences are completely personal.

I've got the J-50 with Roland's SuperNatural piano. While I think it's really very good, I've tweaked it up with a bit of boost to the low end, added a wee bit of midrange punch, and thrown in a bit of concert hall reverb, which I prefer.

These are all wonderful instruments to have available.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

FA keybed has no three sensors ? I thought it did ? Can someone confirm this ? For all I know it's the Yammie Mox that has a two sensor keybed. For the other stuff ; purely subjective. I do like the Roland AP over the Yammie exactly BECAUSE of the dynamics (SN engine). You do have to tweak the touch curve settings however , the factory set is far from perfect (to say the least) . Should be somewhere between medium and light and more carefully tweaked. Pitty you can only offset the velocity - which is not the same thing.

I did some fast repetition, and not all the notes sounded, but that's ok, I can't see a FA08 for classical music. And about the touch curve I couldn't change it, I could live with that touch curve, although it would be nice chaning for a more heavy touch curve. The piano sound was pleasing. The only I would change is: the size. The instrument is a beast when it comes in terms of size. I doesn't seem to fit in most popular cars arround here on Brazil. MOx is a bunch of crap. Really. Sounds good on a live band context but a bunch of crap in terms of keyboard feel. That shitty action Yammie uses can't make it. At least this keybed from Roland was pleasant to play.

I've been playing the Yamaha piano sounds for many years and they are really nice, probably the top offering in the workstation keyboard area. I have to say I'm enjoying the FA's pianos more, both AP and EP. You can't just turn it on in a music store, pull up the default piano, and say it stinks (well, you can, but it's not a fair evaluation of the instrument). There is so much you can adjust. The touch curve is key, reverb, EQ, and with the SN sounds, things like hammer noise, string resonance, timbre, stereo spread. It took me maybe 30 minutes to come up with a piano sound that is much better (to my ears) than my Yamaha's. I spent a lot of time tweaking the Yamaha as well to get it to where I liked it.

I've been creating studio sets for 1 of my bands the last couple days. I got 28 done and have about 10 more to do. Once I got the work flow down, it's REALLY easy. Splits and layers and layered splits with up to 5 parts on some of the songs, easy. The hardest part is finding a tone to use for the part I'm working on! Need a poly synth, OK, go to the poly synth category. Easy enough. Find out there a million of them to choose from! Spend 30 minutes trying them all out to find one that is close to what you need, then tweaking it. On to the next part!

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

It took me maybe 30 minutes to come up with a piano sound that is much better (to my ears) than my Yamaha's. I spent a lot of time tweaking the Yamaha as well to get it to where I liked it.

I have the MOx8 for two years now, and as much as I can teak I can't take a sound that pleases me on a Yamaha. Really. It pleases the band, the singers... and I don't have money to go for a FA08.

If I tell you I already liked the default piano from FA08, do you believe it? I know there's so much more to work on, and instead of working on the touch curve, I worked on the piano sound, and I loved it every single second. I love the sound of Roland's SN piano. I just can't understand why people are so bitchy about this instrument. Ok, It lacks some things, but It haves a lot of pretty good things. I felt more comfortable with the FA08 in a few moments than I ever felt with MOx in two years, and yes, I used to like Yamaha more than I liked Roland.

And yes, I have to confess, I didn't knew too much of how to tweak the touch curve because it was not that obvious and I wanted to play two classical pieces, some improvs in pop-rock, and something to sing with.

Bit OT, but does anyone know if the Roland CB-88 RL keyboard bag is big enough for the FA-08. I know length and depth are ok, but hight is exactly 142 mm , which is the same as the FA-08. It's a just fit , or just NOT fit scenario. So anyone who know's if it will fit ; please let me know. Thanks.

Since the picture on the Roland site: Link

shows a RD-300NX in it and it is similar to the FA-08

RD-300NX: 56-5/8" W x 13-5/16" D x 5-9/16" H

FA-08: 55-5/8" W x 13-7/16" D x 5-5/8" H

The FA is an inch shorter, and only 2/16" wider and 1/16" taller, I would bet it fits nicely!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Long time lurker first time poster here. Hi!

Gonna be posting this at two forums so apologies if you visit them both.

Currently looking at both the FA-08 and MOXF8 but can't test them out since they are yet to arrive here. Read all forum posts and the manuals but a few things weren't clear enough so below is a stage scenario indicating what I need. I'd be happy if anyone can confirm whether these are doable or not.

1. After setting up a multi-timbral set (studio set-master mode) can I have direct access (volume and remote patch change would be enough) to my external gear? (in other words: assigning knobs separately to both internal voices and external instruments for volume)

2. (derived from No.1: On the FA once you start using a studio setup is it possible to assign knobs to control volumes of parts independently? (does a patch need to be selected/in focus to control its volume or could I simply assign the 6 knobs to volume and apply changes regardless of the zone I play?

3. Once in a studio set is it possible to use the pads to initiate a sample and then change the function (mode) of the pads to select/mute patches? (and if yes can I go back and forth every time a certain function of the pads is necessary?)

I know it's a long read so thank you those who spare the time. Cheers :)

Long time lurker first time poster here. Hi!

Gonna be posting this at two forums so apologies if you visit them both.

Currently looking at both the FA-08 and MOXF8 but can't test them out since they are yet to arrive here. Read all forum posts and the manuals but a few things weren't clear enough so below is a stage scenario indicating what I need. I'd be happy if anyone can confirm whether these are doable or not.

1. After setting up a multi-timbral set (studio set-master mode) can I have direct access (volume and remote patch change would be enough) to my external gear? (in other words: assigning knobs separately to both internal voices and external instruments for volume)

2. (derived from No.1: On the FA once you start using a studio setup is it possible to assign knobs to control volumes of parts independently? (does a patch need to be selected/in focus to control its volume or could I simply assign the 6 knobs to volume and apply changes regardless of the zone I play?

3. Once in a studio set is it possible to use the pads to initiate a sample and then change the function (mode) of the pads to select/mute patches? (and if yes can I go back and forth every time a certain function of the pads is necessary?)

I know it's a long read so thank you those who spare the time. Cheers :)

1:- Master mode on the Yamaha let's you do this. On the FA, you can send midi data but cannot specify the patch number/bank. If you use studio set #10, it sends midi patch change #10.

2: The tone you want to adjust has to be selected 1st.

3: Yes, you can start a sample playing, change the pad mode and even change studio sets and the sample will continue playing. (I just tested this to be sure)

1 and 2 are definitely issues for live control, but it might be something that could be addressed with a software update at some point.

As a long time Yamaha user, and one who is used to their interface, the FA is a pleasure to work with. A few things took me a little time to figure out, like assigning my expression pedal to do a wah wah sound on an EP, but once it's figured out, then repeating it is easy. But creating studio sets with various combos of splits and layers? Easy.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I have pushed my FA-06 to the limit without learning some more about the instrument MIDI implementations for my keyboards in the rig.

I have to work through the manual or find out if YoMamaHa Master Mode can change studio sets.

The FA-06 has been pretty intuitive most of my learning curve has been going back and learning more about the S90XS Multi mode setups.

Right now I have been doing everything with a single 16 space virtual rack ( that is how I think of a studio set ). It is like Cantabile with keys. I'm going to have to create a 2nd studio set soon.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have pushed my FA-06 to the limit without learning some more about the instrument MIDI implementations for my keyboards in the rig.

I'd like to see if I can get the Setlist Maker app to work with the FA-08. If I can get it to pull up studio sets as I select songs on the app, that would be awesome. I'll have to dig into the MIDI implementation guide. I recall when I tried to get it to work with the Jupiter 80 to select Registrations, I couldn't get it to work. Though, studio sets are more like Live Sets on the JP80. We'll see.

1:- Master mode on the Yamaha let's you do this. On the FA, you can send midi data but cannot specify the patch number/bank. If you use studio set #10, it sends midi patch change #10.

2: The tone you want to adjust has to be selected 1st.

3: Yes, you can start a sample playing, change the pad mode and even change studio sets and the sample will continue playing. (I just tested this to be sure)

1 and 2 are definitely issues for live control, but it might be something that could be addressed with a software update at some point.

As a long time Yamaha user, and one who is used to their interface, the FA is a pleasure to work with. A few things took me a little time to figure out, like assigning my expression pedal to do a wah wah sound on an EP, but once it's figured out, then repeating it is easy. But creating studio sets with various combos of splits and layers? Easy.

Thanks for the answers Dan.

Is this applicable then (might be a workaround for #1 and 2): You begin playing your studio set with zones and you notice one of the parts (which is NOT highlighted) is too low/high. Is it then possible to use the assigned pad to highlight that particular sound so that you can adjust the volume?

yes, if you have the pads set to part select mode.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I got to use my FA08 for the 1st time in a live setting last night, at rehearsal for my Floyd tribute band. It sounded great, the patches cut thru the mix nicely. The EP's in particular are pretty outstanding in that context. The band was raving about how good it sounded. Saturday will be it's 1st gig test with my party band.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I got to use my FA08 for the 1st time in a live setting last night, at rehearsal for my Floyd tribute band. It sounded great, the patches cut thru the mix nicely. The EP's in particular are pretty outstanding in that context. The band was raving about how good it sounded. Saturday will be it's 1st gig test with my party band.

Nice coincidence that you play in a PF tribute band as well.

Would love to hear in detail how you utilize your setup and integrate the FA into it.

I use the FA as the master controller to send patch changes to my Hammond SK1 and Moog LP. The FA has all the splits/layers that I created for each song we do. It handles all the piano/EP/synth work. The Hammond does organ and the Moog does, well, Moog. :) I use the FA to play sounds from the Hammond on certain songs but for the most part each board is independent, just receiving patch changes from the FA. So for example, when I pull up the studio set for Shine on You Crazy Diamond, it calls the FA sound layer that is a couple string pad/synth string sounds layered together, with a vibraphone sound split off onto the top octave or so of the board for some bell things that go on in the song. The FA sends a patch change to the Hammond which calls up the appropriate organ sound, and in turn the Hammond sends a patch change to the Moog to call up the lead sound used in the song. It takes a little while to get everything talking but once that's set up, it's easy.

I have all the sound effects I need loaded up into 1 song, and can trigger the samples from the pads.

I plan on using the FA sequencer as well, for On the Run, to trigger the Moog, samples, and some on board sounds. I'm also going to sequence Welcome to the Machine to get all the sound effects going at the right time on that one. On the list for the future are some songs that have a lot of orchestral components- Bring the Boys Back Home and The Trial, and I'll probably sequence all of that as well.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Thanks, AnotherScott. Appreciate the recommendations. I decided to buy an FA-08. Very pleased so far and look forward to discussing it with folks in this forum.

I wasn't familiar with the Yamaha MX61 but that looks like an attractive way to get some great sounds and arpeggiators on top. Of course, it's only a couple hundred less than what the MOX6 is going for .... :-)

Thanks again to all for your thoughts.

"Have a good time ... all the time. That's my philosophy, Marty."

I use the FA as the master controller to send patch changes to my Hammond SK1 and Moog LP. The FA has all the splits/layers that I created for each song we do. It handles all the piano/EP/synth work. The Hammond does organ and the Moog does, well, Moog. :) I use the FA to play sounds from the Hammond on certain songs but for the most part each board is independent, just receiving patch changes from the FA. So for example, when I pull up the studio set for Shine on You Crazy Diamond, it calls the FA sound layer that is a couple string pad/synth string sounds layered together, with a vibraphone sound split off onto the top octave or so of the board for some bell things that go on in the song. The FA sends a patch change to the Hammond which calls up the appropriate organ sound, and in turn the Hammond sends a patch change to the Moog to call up the lead sound used in the song. It takes a little while to get everything talking but once that's set up, it's easy.

I have all the sound effects I need loaded up into 1 song, and can trigger the samples from the pads.

I plan on using the FA sequencer as well, for On the Run, to trigger the Moog, samples, and some on board sounds. I'm also going to sequence Welcome to the Machine to get all the sound effects going at the right time on that one. On the list for the future are some songs that have a lot of orchestral components- Bring the Boys Back Home and The Trial, and I'll probably sequence all of that as well.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to explain.

One thing though: I believe I interpreted it the wrong way when you said "1:- Master mode on the Yamaha let's you do this. On the FA, you can send midi data but cannot specify the patch number/bank. If you use studio set #10, it sends midi patch change #10."

So can the FA, within a studio set, tell external gear to change to a specific patch? (e.g. have a King Korg which does the VA duties in my setup so if I had my own setup for a song can the FA communicate to KK to change to the patch I require for that song?)