Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's the Stevie Ray Vaughan of blues organ?

Jazz+

..... I honestly am baffled that anyone would thing of Jorday or Wakeman as "Blues" players in the spirit of this question. ...

I don't think they are blues players. But the question was who is a blues eqivilent of SRV. :laugh:

The question was who is the "blues organ equivalent of SRV". Rudess or Wakeman would not be a good fit for that category

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Steve,

Jimmy Calire has a website and has stuff available on CD baby and I tunes. Looks like he does mostly piano now. I'll check this guy out. Thanks for the heads up.

Musicale

Yeah, I know. It's been a long time since a sat rapt in front of his B3 (like 40+ years :o )

The closest thing on his current page to what I think this thread is talking about is that live cut from the mid 90s of "Change is Gonna Come" when Raven did a "reunion" concert in Buffalo.

[video:youtube]

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Guess it takes a guitar player playing piano to do Jimi any justice! :laugh:

Hmmm. I don't know exactly what that is, but it ain't Hendrix IMO. No likee. I prefer the other clip where he plays it on a Strat.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Reese is probably digging getting to play with some cats who aren't tuning down a half-step.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

If you include vocal ability ...

If you don't need vocals, these aren't strictly blues players, but they're great blues tracks anyway.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-DWDLKxYM

(Joey solos @ 4:20-8:20)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeWXNee5Jy8

I suggested Lee Michaels in the first thread on this topic. Slightly off topic, here is a different question:

Who is the Santana of organ?

The answer is Gregg Rolie.

He was responsible for a significant portion of the Santana and Pre-Perry-Journey sound.

Before he fell back on repeating a cliche of himself, I think Santana played guitar like an organist with a Leslie speaker cabinet.......bouncing back and forth between mysterious melodic passages to intensely emotional peaks. Pre-Perry-Journey's Neal Schon was Carlos Santana on steroids. Gregg Rolie added a fullness to the sound and provided a complimentary break from the guitars.

...chronologically, wouldn't Vaughan be the guitar equivalent of Steve Winwood on Hammond ?

Winwood predates Vaughan, ergo the question should be reversed.

As a keyboardist, I really don't give a hoot-in-Hell about Vaughan or any other guitar hero.

...chronologically, wouldn't Vaughan be the guitar equivalent of Steve Winwood on Hammond ?

As a keyboardist, I really don't give a hoot-in-Hell about Vaughan or any other guitar hero.

I actually liked Winwood's approach to the guitar more than SRV's. Winwood is the original triple threat. Great Hammond player, great guitarist, and of course. that amazing voice.

http://bigfun3.bandcamp.com

www.facebook.com/BigFunThree

What are the criteria for determining equivalence between an organist and a guitar player ?

Like do they cop each others licks, comparable harmonies for the 3 chors used ib typical blues, or the ability to bend notes or is it popularity/timelessness, songwriting ability, vocals?

A strange and difficult comparison to make...

Musicale

This was a good rock band playing blues record if you like that SRV sort of thing.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Sammy Avila. - Hammond Sam I think he is still playing with Walter Trout.

Some good Blues done without a post-war Blues orchestra lineup.

Yes, he is. Shared a festival bill with them this summer. He uses an XK3c through a 122. But for some reason the 122 was not working that night, so he used a Ventilator, much to the chagrin of his soundguy / tech who kept complaining how much the Vent "sucked". :freak:

• 1 month later...

Yes, he is. Shared a festival bill with them this summer. He uses an XK3c through a 122. But for some reason the 122 was not working that night, so he used a Ventilator, much to the chagrin of his soundguy / tech who kept complaining how much the Vent "sucked". :freak:

Probably should have used a Burn instead.

:snax:

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Hard to find any keyboardist that spawned an army of hat/scarf wearing wanna be's

Very true.... When I lived in Houston until a few years ago, a bandleader I used to play for referred to the SRV guitar-clone army as the "Hats and Strats idiots".

IMO the guitarists' SRV wannabee thing has become almost as cliché as Elvis impersonators. It's a shame too, because I actually rather enjoyed some of SRV's material, especially the songs in which he used to let Reese cut loose. Although, in general, I prefer his brother Jimmy's catalogue more.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

your loss. I'm a guitar player who's gotten truckloads of inspiration - not to mention knowledge - from guys like Duke Ellington, Keith Emerson and McCoy Tyner for longer than I've been playing the six strings.

your loss. I'm a guitar player who's gotten truckloads of inspiration - not to mention knowledge - from guys like Duke Ellington, Keith Emerson and McCoy Tyner for longer than I've been playing the six strings.

...you're free to take your shot, but I'll decide whether I "lose" or not by my musical choices.

Glad you like Duke, Emerson, et al...

Archived