Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's the Stevie Ray Vaughan of blues organ?

Jazz+

Anybody come close?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SRV of blues organ???? I guess it would have to be somebody like Jordan Rudess maybe Wakeman.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I don't understand the question, but will try to riff with it anyway. How about keyboard players (organ or otherwise) who have covered Hendrix and done it well. If they exist, I'd love to know who they are.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

So many great players listed here. Not sure what criteria to use, but if I think of someone who sang through his instrument, that everybody wanted on their records ... for me it's Billy Preston ...

[video:youtube]YlxxmNP2MKw

She's gone quite glam pop the last year or two but Grace Potter has fantastic pipes and some wonderful Hammond technique. However, I never thought of SRV and Ms Potter as a comparison until this odd question was posed a second time.

Here's an example of her earlier stuff:

I like a lot of her newer stuff with the Nocturnals okay, but am hoping and waiting for her to return to this edgier bluesy stuff she did 5+ years ago.

edit:

Well here's one more recent and more Hammond focused:

http://youtu.be/iQzIOmNX3wQ

The greatest hits selections are certainly over played as much as any top 40 artist from the 80's or certain Lynyrd Skynyrd tunes, but the lesser known b-side jewels continue to shine the genius that SRV possessed. I still dig the Family Style recording he did with his brother Jimmy.

Am I the only person who is not overly impressed with the music of SRV? I've heard enough of it to last me a lifetime.

As a blues guitarist you are not alone.

I have nothing against him as a rock artist. He was a twin edged sword. He was responsible for a bump in blues popularity and probably resulted in more blues gigs but what his work did to the blues landscape at the local level sort of sucked.

what his work did to the blues landscape at the local level sort of sucked.
This. There are too many cats who try to play just like him. They a) don't have their own sound (save for sounding like a sucky SRV clone) and 2) don't know the sources where SRV got it from, Albert King, Freddie King, etc. etc.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Stevie got it from Trower.

At the core he played more Trower than anyone. He used a couple of Albert's signature bend licks but he played like Trower.

So many great players listed here. Not sure what criteria to use, but if I think of someone who sang through his instrument, that everybody wanted on their records ... for me it's Billy Preston ...
Billy IS the man ... It's a shame we lost him.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I've got to go with Steve Windwood too(Billy Preston is a good choice as well.)

Stevie Ray was a great "pop" blues player (if there's such a thing.) He balanced the line pretty well between both worlds. I really wouldn't consider him an innovator, or a virtuouso. But he had a good combination of playing, writing and performing. So, yeah, I'd throw Winwood in that category.

SRV played with intensity, that seems unusually high. And I thought ( I am not a guy who has listened a whole lot to him so ) him and his bands rhythmic tightness were impressive. I liked his sound a lot. In short, I like him a lot.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Well..Leave it to a b3 player to solve this puzzle! :) I don't know how Winwood slipped through my brain pan( must be the holes in it lol) but he's got the mojo for sure! And Finnagan is a ripper too! I like the manual jumps he was doin at the end of the clip. Real cool! Thanks for sharing! :thu: it made my youtube playlist for sure! :)
"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

Originally Posted By: Jim Alfredson

Lucky Peterson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsSmr4C5tyk

Saw him live some 9 years ago here in Brazil and it was really impressive. Great guitar chops and voice too.

I saw him when he was billed as "Little Lucky Peterson", 5 years old and playing organ in his dad's bar in Buffalo! :cool:

I'll have to agree that the top choices cited so far would be, Reece, Winwood and Lucky. I honestly am baffled that anyone would thing of Jordan or Wakeman as "Blues" players in the spirit of this question. Even Joey is miscast here imho. All tremendous players, but not what I'd call Blues players.

My vote though, considering SRV's style and character goes to someone almost no one here has ever heard of. Jimmy Calire

I wish I could find some online audio/video from the 60s-70s to show you what I mean. He was (and probably still is) one of the best I ever heard. :cool::cool:

..... I honestly am baffled that anyone would thing of Jorday or Wakeman as "Blues" players in the spirit of this question. ...

I don't think they are blues players. But the question was who is a blues eqivilent of SRV. :laugh:

Archived