Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musical goals for 2014

Moon Zero Two

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good topic!

My three goals for the coming year are:

• I want to find myself a more consistent groove in terms of personal practice. These days it seems I'm either cramming to prep for a specific upcoming gig ... or my gear is languishing in the cases. I need to find to find myself sticking to a more consistent practice regimen.

• I want to work up a repertoire of solo piano pieces (my current repertoire is strictly focused on being a keyboard player in a group). I've got a repertoire of "parts" for 300+ songs ... and a bunch of solo song snippets ... just no repertoire of true "solo" material. The deer in the headlights look I get when I find myself with the opportunity to entertain with just a piano is downright embarrassing.

• Spend a little time polishing up my rig - specifically, I need to finish up the pedal board I started working on several months ago but never completed, install the B's Knees voice library in my Motif ES Rack, install the latest OS updates to my Kronos. Oddly enough - I've got everything I need to finish up the pedal board - and already have the B's Knees voice library in hand. It's not an issue of procuring - but rather of finding the time to just get it done.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

I can think of three at the moment:

1.) Spend more time practicing and writing music instead of programming sounds and/or fooling around with my synths.

2.) Find better paying solo gigs.

3.) Not buy any new gear in 2014.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Finish recording/arranging originals that have been hanging around for years.

Break out of the one band monogamous thing and start gigging with other people.

Make time to actually sit down and practice some of the sheet music I've been acquiring over the last little while (Joplin, Firth Of Fifth, etc...!)

Yeah, that would be good... ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Tough for me. I feel like I want to spread myself too thin. I know I'll end up just not checking some of these things off until a couple years down the road. Nonetheless:

-Get my new band off the ground and start gigging around town. That's already starting to go, but I want to record a demo and a couple videos, too. Start getting the name out.

-Play more jazzuals in general and gig a lot over the summer, in any format.

-Learn more about my synths, so that I can program without much hesitation.

-Learn more about DAWs, so that I can write/produce electronic and hip-hop.

-Play more successful solos. Too many times, I play something cool but end up losing the handle. Gotta find the balance between risk and reward.

-Acquire more vocabulary.

-Transcribe more. (See above.)

-Memorize more tunes.

-A bunch of other stuff I can't think of.

1. Writing and recording an entire original album on an iPad using only apps for sound source. Got everything I need, just gotta do it.

2. Unleash the B3 beast inside of me. Seriously, study organ soloing with a passion.

3. Get out and jam more, even when it affects my day job. Life is too short not to play with as many people as possible.

Fantastic topic!

1) Finger exercises and scales in all keys on piano everyday for 1 hour

2) Focus on my Hammond playing, especially my pedal work

3) Memorize and play perfectly Gershwin's Prelude II (Blue Lullaby)

4) Not buy another thing and focus on getting the absolute most out of what I currently have

Make as much money as I can with as little effort possible,

Flip side: spend as much rewarding time with my kids as possible.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Write and record (multi-track) some tunes with my Moog Voyager.

Play the Bach prelude (BVW 846) from memory.

Tried practicing BVW 846 on the Voyager tonight, as well as trying out some melodies from the Cunliffe book. I'm adding "practice on the Voyager" to my list - use of wheels, legato, etc.

I'm gonna become an A-hole.

Every band has one. The alcoholic drummer. The know-nothing bass player. The prima-donna singer. Well, if I'm the A-hole, chances are slim that I will get in a band with two A-holes. At least I'll know how deal with me and the others can decide if I'm worth having in the band. I plan to put out this CL ad:

"Keyboard Player Available"-Play keys, guitar, little vox. Designated A-hole.

I will drink a lot more, get stoned before practice, play louder, play busier, and tell everybody what to do.

No bitterness.......just sayin'

Happy 2014

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

- getting my hip-hop production and general mixing/production skills together

- revisiting the work of Bud Powell, Andrew Hill, Thelonious Monk, and the real jazz piano language that I've been neglecting lately.

- finally tackling the Berg Piano Sonata and Barber Nocturne that have been collecting dust on my bookshelf.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Timely topic ...

#1) once again, try to to get better at playing and singing at the same time.

#2) revamp my amplification (again ...)

#3) get better at jazz voicings and improv

And, oh yeah, keep slogging away at the the day job, etc.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I'm getting inspired hearing everyone list their various goals. Good job. I think we should start another thread about what goals you were happy about achieving in 2013, whether or not they were planned. I think it's important to take stock of the progress you made before setting goals for next year's project.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Really Master the VR 09 with a little help from my friends here.

play out more with my cover/ orig band or move on to a new busier band .

Learn /improve my standards songs behind a great woman torch singer / new duo

Make a success of my new old schools Country band , NashEast and reignite real honky Tonk country in Nj

find the way to better fight my demons that make me a bad husband !

Finish the Holiday CD that we have been working on the last 3 years. Can't seem to get motivated in July to record Christmas music......

Practice more.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

-Practice running my bussiness better.

-Practice raising my kids better.

-Practice helping my wife better.

-Practice learning my keyboard better.

-Oh and did I say practice more?

- ~BOB

I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

Inspiring topic. Off the top of my head:

- Learn to play the blues better than running up and down the blues scale and whipping out my 2 actual blues licks.

- Figure out my monitoring situation so I can hear myself better at gigs.

- Learn harmonies to my band's songs so I can start singing backups and become a more useful member of the band.

- Finish some original music so I can share it beyond the 4 walls of my house.

JC

Live rig: Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOTIF ES 6, laptop for supplemental sounds.

[*]I want to work up a repertoire of solo piano pieces (my current repertoire is strictly focused on being a keyboard player in a group). I've got a repertoire of "parts" for 300+ songs ... and a bunch of solo song snippets ... just no repertoire of true "solo" material. The deer in the headlights look I get when I find myself with the opportunity to entertain with just a piano is downright embarrassing.

Wow, this has happened to me WAY too many times. :(

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Same here exactly, 99% of my practicing and playing time over the years is oriented towards learning parts meant to be played in bands, and as a result I too still have an embarrassingly small repertoire of stuff I can play solo to entertain at a party. (Of course if you can turn it more into a group singalong rather than a solo piano performance, that opens things way up.) On the occasional times I get opportunities to do a cocktail hour for a wedding, I can stretch my resources into 45 minutes using some sheet music of easy-solo-jazz arrangements and some pop ballads, but I know I'm faking it. So that's a goal of mine too. Even memorizing those easy-solo-jazz arrangements would be a good step.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Archived