Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

Hi Moe,

the SK-set is like a mix of the NIB4 set and the XK-set...

The SK drawfaders send "standard" Midi CC, but

NPRN for the perc and cv (but different than the XK).

It is unfortunately not possible to edit the XK or SK set

and store it as a custom set (CC only!).

midi solutions event processor ???

EDIT:

Moe, I just checked the actual manuals of the SK-series and the XK1c and they

seem identical regarding drawbars and perc,cv,....

so "normally" the SK-Set "should work" with the new XK1c !

(or the the Hammond Manual,is again incorrect....)

:idk :idk

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

I tried the SK set again. Percussion works fine. CV doesn't. Upper Vib forces a vibrato (sounds kinda like V2) but will not shut it off again. Lower Vib forces the 122 Amp volume to 0, and the other 3 switches (1, 2, chorus) don't seem to affect anything.

So close, yet so far...

Moe

---

It has something to do with the Hammond sk buttons. I learned this screwing around with vb3.

So even with Cantabile's Midi mapping it wouldn't work. Brad helped me out by doing an experimental version where I could set it up globally in Cantabile.

But yeah the SK midi implementation is weird.

Plugged my HX3 into my MiniVent tonight. Holy crap what a gnarly sound!

Not sure what I have set up wrong, but I can't get a clean sound out of it. I backed off on the preamp gain trim and leslie amp level and it still shreds. I may be overloading the input of the MiniVent.

I'd like to be able to reproduce this sound when needed, because it cuts like an Emerson/HiWatt powered leslie. But I need to get clean too!

Did you manage to solve this "problem"?

Btw, just ordered a HX3 and want to use my Vent 2 with it :)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

When I had the Vent 1 and 2 I had no overload Problem when feeding them with the HX3.

(but on the Burn !)

Depending on your Output Settings on the HX3 (Plain Organ or 122amp out) you can go from clean to hell !

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

Depending on your Output Settings on the HX3 (Plain Organ or 122amp out) you can go from clean to hell !

;-)

Great! Thanks! That´s exactly what I had in mind :)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Plugged my HX3 into my MiniVent tonight. Holy crap what a gnarly sound!

Not sure what I have set up wrong, but I can't get a clean sound out of it. I backed off on the preamp gain trim and leslie amp level and it still shreds. I may be overloading the input of the MiniVent.

I'd like to be able to reproduce this sound when needed, because it cuts like an Emerson/HiWatt powered leslie. But I need to get clean too!

Did you manage to solve this "problem"?

Btw, just ordered a HX3 and want to use my Vent 2 with it :)

If I recall I had preamp tube age and 122 amp volume pegged.

Moe

---

I was worried about not being able to use my custom DSP MIDI Drawbars I had made for me that I've used on VB3 forever and work great.

Sad coincidence is my Physis K4 took a dump on me and is stuck in some weird initialization mode so I was forced to use the NI B4 map they provided and just changed things around on the DSP devices by using NI CC3's and it's works great.

Oh well, that's a different problem, but it sure was fun using a Joystick (CC#16/CC#17) to collapse and expand my drawbars, while using the Mod Wheel for a Leslie..

Usually have an FC-7 x 2 for upper/lower drawbar combinations, and an FC4 for Rotary.

Now Im stuck re programming my dusty PX-3S and a BCF-2000.

Got 1 day to ready everything.

As they say though, pressure is what turns coal into diamonds.

Great Job KeyboardPartners.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Does anyone ( else) know about a firmware update that has been made for the HX3 chorus vibrato?

I got a PM from a forum member who says that an update affecting the C/V is available.

I am wondering if this has been included in recent units shipped out.

.... what Firmware Version do you have on your unit ?

The last update/bugfix on the CV was goimg from 3.807 to 3.812 if

I remember correctly.

With the new flash tool the update is easy to do. Just to be sure write down your ser#, and lisence numbers for organ and leslie.

If somethimg goes wrong with the update it could be that you have to re enter your numbers again......

Hello all, I'm working with an HX3 expander connected to a Nord Stage Compact verstion C. I have been able to set up the custom CC set but I want the OB drawbars to control the HX3 when they're plugged into the Nord. When connected this way, the lights on the Nord move with the drawbars but the HX3 doesn't respond to them. If I plug the drawbars into the second midi input of the HX3 they will control the HX3 but the lights on the Nord don't reflect drawbar changes. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? Thanks, Ken

I want the OB drawbars to control the HX3 when they're plugged into the Nord. When connected this way, the lights on the Nord move with the drawbars but the HX3 doesn't respond to them. If I plug the drawbars into the second midi input of the HX3 they will control the HX3 but the lights on the Nord don't reflect drawbar changes. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong?

It sounds like you haven't wired things up in such a way that both the Nord and the HX3 can "see" the MIDI Out of the drawbars.

One solution could be to turn set the Nord MIDI to "Local OFF" and use the DB1's merge function to combine the MIDI from the Nord's keys and its own drawbars and send the combined signal to the HX3, and then configure the other MIDI jack on the HX3 to function as a THRU and send that back to the Nord's MIDI IN.

Alternately, use a MIDI Thru box to send the drawbar info to both the Nord (for the lights) and the HX3 (to control the sound).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I mapped my Nord Electro 4D to the HX3 expander. It didn't take long. There was no additional cost. The drawbars and most of the buttons work fine. Unfortunately the percussion buttons didn't exactly map because of Nord's implementation (I.e., not a separate button for each funtion). Note that that the app used to implement the mapping is only available for Windows.

Al- Were you able to get your Elecrto 4 to control rotary on/off and fast/slow speed?

I haven't been able to do this on mine...

Thanks.

I mapped my Nord Electro 4D to the HX3 expander. It didn't take long. There was no additional cost. The drawbars and most of the buttons work fine. Unfortunately the percussion buttons didn't exactly map because of Nord's implementation (I.e., not a separate button for each funtion). Note that that the app used to implement the mapping is only available for Windows.

Al- Were you able to get your Elecrto 4 to control rotary on/off and fast/slow speed?

I haven't been able to do this on mine...

Thanks.

Yes, I got it to work. Perhaps least obvious was that it only worked when I had a footswitch plugged into the HX3 footswitch jack (i.e., seems to me it should work without a footswitch plugged in as well). I'm using a latchable footswitch because that seems to be required. With the footswitch plugged in I then used a patch on the E4D to trigger a preset on the HX3. Note that the E4D MIDI INTERFACE needs to be set to MIDI Ports for this to work. Then I played with combinations of the HX3 footswitch, E4D STOP MODE button, and E4D FAST/SLOW buttons until they worked as expected. Then I saved the HX3 preset by pushing the dial in and also saved the E4D program. After all that I press the E4D program button and everything works (almost) as expected: fast/slow and stop can be controlled by the footswitch or corresponding buttons on the E4D. The only thing that doesn't work is corresponding changes to the fast/slow and stop lights on the E4D when I press the footswitch. This doesn't bother me so I didn't pursue it. I may have done some things that weren't necessary but didn't spend anytime figuring out if that was the case. I hope this helps.

I received a PM about a problem I was having with the HX3.

Supposedly when the unit is in "Demo Mode", Bb in the second octave from the bottom does not sound.

Is this correct? I wasn't aware of demo mode. My Bb 2 was not working.

Any info on this is appreciated.

LX,

yes, if your organ license number is note entered than the Bb is missing.

If your lesliesim license is not entered it stops after one minute.

the license numbers are shipped with the unit (on a sticker or on your invoice) and

you can re-enter it with the remote software.

No idea about your concerns or problems about the CV.

I recommend updating to the new 3.83c firmware with the flash tool.

for further questions you can try to contact Carsten Meyer via

info@keyboardpartner.de

or the HX isn't just the right clone for you and you should stick with

your Numa. Tastes are different and options are a lot available (Mojo, Numa, HS, Nord.....)

Hello,

new update for the HX3-Expander which solves the clipping issue in upper octave and the compatibility Problems on Win 8/10 for the remote Software...

Changelog

09/04/2015 Firmware #3.83c, new tapering

updated HX3 Remote and HX3 Flash to Windows 8/10 compatility

new rotary horn FIR filter coeffs for less peaks

corrected taper_levels files, old tapering tends to overflow distortion

adjusted output levels for each taperlevels file

https://github.com/keyboardpartner/HX3/tree/master/LATEST

Have fun !

What kind of flash tool is used to install the 3.83c firmware? I am somewhat of a technological dummy.... so I am not sure if this would be a generic flash drive or something specific for the HX3.

It appears that this update may affect the chorus vibrato in some way. I haven't heard much feedback from other users about how they like the C/V in the HX3. It may be safe to assume that a majority of users have the the leslie sim spinning most of if not all of the time.

I am kind of curious about having a slow / fast and stop option for the HX3. Once again, C/V only is my first choice when running mono or using a real leslie.

I am also curious if the latest units shipped out from Diversi included this update. I did mention it to them, and they seemed less than concerned...

What kind of flash tool is used to install the 3.83c firmware?

go to Divirsi's website. Under the HX3 photo, click on the hyperlink that says "Click Here For More Information". Next, click on "downloads". Next, click on the hyperlink that says "How To Update My HX3" A PDF file will open. Follow the directions. You can do it. :thu:

:nopity:

It appears that this update may affect the chorus vibrato in some way. I haven't heard much feedback from other users about how they like the C/V in the HX3. It may be safe to assume that a majority of users have the the leslie sim spinning most of if not all of the time.

I haven't done the latest update. I like the C/V just fine - in fact aside from Mojo, it's the only one I've heard in person that I really like.

I don't know why you would think everyone is running fast all the time. :idk:

Moe

---

It may be safe to assume that a majority of users have the the leslie sim spinning most of if not all of the time.

I don't know why you would think everyone is running fast all the time. :idk:

Spinning doesn't mean fast. There are two spinning speeds, and brake.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The the unit I had definitely had more intensity in the vibrato in the top octave than either the Numa or the B-3 that I have at home. There was much more " throb" in the upper octave, especially when the 5 1/3 drawbar was engaged.

I may have had a buggy unit ( the one I had was sent back due to other issues). I did all kinds of stuff with the adjustment parameters, but I was unable to affect it.

I am very curious if other owners have noticed this.

There are so many things that this unit does well. For the price , I think the leslie sim is nothing short of amazing. The HX3 does chorale well.

But I am baffled that no one else noticed that CV thing in the upper octave. On a tonewheel Hammond, that top octave does not display a lot of intensity in the vibrato ( CV set to C3 obviously). There is definitely a lot more vibrato than chorus in the upper register on the HX3 version I had. If all units are the same as mine, this should be immediately apparent in any serious A/B test. And it would certainly show up in a recording environment.

This all may have something to do with the unit I had. I am also curious if the new firmware addresses it. It sounds like the designers have made at least one modification to the CV in the not too distant past. I am not sure that I had the latest version.

BTW....I still don't know what the flash tool for this is about.

Leslie sounds pretty good, overdrive is decent, C3V is just right for me, the reverbs are nice but I am really enjoying the HX-3 outs to an American Looper 2 in 3 out Analog Switcher pedal.

Stereo out goes to the GSi Burn, switching re routes the HX-3 stereo out into a mono sum > Radial Plexitube for that great JCM800 Jon Lord sound.

Using hardware FX only. Don't really get excited about the FX in HX-3 or even the GSi Burn for that matter.

But the HX-3 I have sounds great. SO many nice tweaks for Percussion and the recapped 72 3rd is exactly what I have wanted for years but couldn't get on a B2003 (Creamware/Ferrofish) or a VB3.

I can go from Earl Grant to Arthur Brown, to Deep Purple, Emerson just with a Prgm.Chng. message.

Add a little Tube Reverb on a Fireworx and I am extremely satisfied with my latest Hammond emulations.

Hats of to Diversi and KeyboardPartner for bringing us this kick ass piece of kit...!!

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

R

Leslie sounds pretty good, overdrive is decent, C3V is just right for me, the reverbs are nice but I am really enjoying the HX-3 outs to an American Looper 2 in 3 out Analog Switcher pedal.

Stereo out goes to the GSi Burn, switching re routes the HX-3 stereo out into a mono sum > Radial Plexitube for that great JCM800 Jon Lord sound.

Using hardware FX only. Don't really get excited about the FX in HX-3 or even the GSi Burn for that matter.

But the HX-3 I have sounds great. SO many nice tweaks for Percussion and the recapped 72 3rd is exactly what I have wanted for years but couldn't get on a B2003 (Creamware/Ferrofish) or a VB3.

I can go from Earl Grant to Arthur Brown, to Deep Purple, Emerson just with a Prgm.Chng. message.

Add a little Tube Reverb on a Fireworx and I am extremely satisfied with my latest Hammond emulations.

Hats of to Diversi and KeyboardPartner for bringing us this kick ass piece of kit...!!

That Plexitube seems awesome!

But why don't you have it before the Burn in the chain?

As I understand it "should" be before an amp?

Or did I misunderstand?

Arthur Schopenhauer