Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Cocktail Piano a dying art?

The Wind

Cocktail piano is a dying art. Solo piano or solo singer/pianists aren't. As long as the client knows which one you are when they hire you you're good.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually I agree that's why I invited Tee to PM me. I also agree that real players don't like arrangers and I'm one of them. But, damn, they can be good fun sometimes but on a gig? Well, like I said it's a tool to get a job done. At least you're playing an arranger rather than hitting play on your iPad for backing tracks. I REALLY can't stand prerecorded backing tracks.

Bob

And what do you think you are playing along to with an arranger...yep pre-recorded tracks ;)

one finger (even if it is three) on the left one finger playing a melody on the right - a panda could do that :)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

No, not true. You have to reread what I've posted earlier, don't let your prejudicial misconceptions shine through here.

Check this out and pay attention to all the different things he's doing like hitting buttons to change variations, drum fills plus hitting the chords with his left hand. And then listen to the killer individual solo instruments. Very amateurish. NOT. Check out the Stephan Grappelli violin solo the guy does at 7:45. But a kid who doesn't know how to play will make this Tyros sound like crap. A person like that would get the same result with a cheap basic PSR300 or Casio you can get at Costco for a couple hundred bucks.

You really have to listen to the whole video, there's some good stuff there. Sure the individual elements of a style are simply prerecorded midi files (arps actually) but you're still in complete control of how a tune is put together from an arranging point of view.

A megabuck big name arranger is a whole new instrument that the player has to spend considerable time learning how to play.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

.... Sure the individual elements of a style are simply prerecorded midi files (arps actually) but you're still in complete control of how a tune is put together from an arranging point of view.
Which means you are simply arranging pre-recorded backing tracks, even if it is on the fly. Same difference.
Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

No - not the same difference.

Have a good listen to the YT video kindly supplied above.

That Tyros sounds so flippin good in the demonstrators hands at least , I would gladly listen if there was no decent grand piano and maestro available - at the right venue of course.

Brett

I totally understand where you're coming from Opdigits and I'm not about to make some huge pitch on the wonders of arranger keyboards. I'm a live musician guy, I almost always play with full bands from my usual five piece jazz band to a five piece classic rock band to a full big band that I'm doing a gig with this Saturday. My go to rig is my PC3 and/or my XK-1. No arranger even comes slightly close to a real band with good players and if I have a choice I want to keep it that way.

But, they do have their place and they can sound pretty darn good in the right hands. That's all I'm saying. If somebody is serious about making a living as a single or duo one of these is not a bad way to go. Like I said earlier I would much rather play an arranger than play to static backing tracks. I haven't mentioned the ability to create your own song specific styles and some of them are killer. You could say well if you're going to do that why not just buy some equally good midi files and play to those? It's a valid point but again with midi files you have no control. You're just following along to a record.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Bob, I do not disagree that arranger keyboards (or even a MIDI keyboard with sequencing) as tools in the right hands can sound amazing.

I only disagree that utilizing them as they are meant to be is not, IMHO, anywhere near to playing each and every note, chord, and other musical nuance the same as playing "live."

So in essence, we agree. :)

hmm, guess I haven't kept up with this "arranger" thing. Never even heard about Tyros! I'm old school in that I much prefer an acoustic piano. Even a good Nord is no match, you can't compare.

But reality now is most gigs won't have a grand piano let alone an upright. gotta bring your own gear.

I'm trying to think of new ways a solo pianist can market him/herself for the current scene.

And I'm not talking about singer/pianists. I consider those guys completely separate.

the Tyros IS relevant in a cocktail piano discussion... it is front and center as a matter of fact.
Cocktail piano is one person and a piano. A person playing with backing tracks and musical instrument is "not" cocktail piano. I hope one-man bands don't play in four star hotels.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

When there is more music happening than a muso can play with their hands and feet (organ pedals), hitting play and/or triggering events with a button or key press, it is no longer a live performance.

What we have at this point is musical karaoke which is fine if that's your gig. But, I wouldn't pay to see and/or hear that sh8t especially when I get the same thing at Jordan Kitt. :laugh:

When I think cocktail pianist, I'm envisioning folks drinking martinis, talking about the finer things in life, telling lies and/or trying to make love connections while the pianist plays an acoustic grand. I'd imagine very few places like that still exist. That's dying if not already dead.

Otherwise, solo piano is still alive and well in establishments that choose to sponsor it. However, with so many competing forms of entertainment including DJs, they have choices.

IMO, someone truly interested in solo piano gigs would first build a huge repertoire of tunes from past to present. They should be keeping up with the Pop charts and listening to XM and internet radio. Again, just making sure they are on top of what people are listening to and digging. You never know what tune someone will request nowadays.

Then, that solo pianist should be beating the pavement in search of rooms that either have a piano and/or be willing to bring their own KBs to set up and play. No sleight of hand or foot triggering mp3 files courtesy of Dennis Chambers.

With my personality, looks and sense of humor, if I had the time to learn and memorize 400 tunes and especially if I could sing like Nat King Cole...I would take the world by storm as a solo pianist. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

With my personality, looks and sense of humor, if I had the time to learn and memorize 400 tunes and especially if I could sing like Nat King Cole...I would take the world by storm as a solo pianist. :D:cool:

No doubt. :thu::laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

When there is more music happening than a muso can play with their hands and feet (organ pedals), hitting play and/or triggering events with a button or key press, it is no longer a live performance.

What we have at this point is musical karaoke which is fine if that's your gig. But, I wouldn't pay to see and/or hear that sh8t especially when I get the same thing at Jordan Kitt. :laugh:

When I think cocktail pianist, I'm envisioning folks drinking martinis, talking about the finer things in life, telling lies and/or trying to make love connections while the pianist plays an acoustic grand. I'd imagine very few places like that still exist. That's dying if not already dead.

Otherwise, solo piano is still alive and well in establishments that choose to sponsor it. However, with so many competing forms of entertainment including DJs, they have choices.

IMO, someone truly interested in solo piano gigs would first build a huge repertoire of tunes from past to present. They should be keeping up with the Pop charts and listening to XM and internet radio. Again, just making sure they are on top of what people are listening to and digging. You never know what tune someone will request nowadays.

Then, that solo pianist should be beating the pavement in search of rooms that either have a piano and/or be willing to bring their own KBs to set up and play. No sleight of hand or foot triggering mp3 files courtesy of Dennis Chambers.

Zactly!!!

Quote - "When I think cocktail pianist, I'm envisioning folks drinking martinis, talking about the finer things in life, telling lies and/or trying to make love connections while the pianist plays an acoustic grand. I'd imagine very few places like that still exist. That's dying if not already dead."

:D Hell you guy's make me laugh , those days vapourised about 100 years ago! :D :D......

Brett

I've had a house gig for the past 12 years playing solo Jazz piano on a Yamaha baby grand in the lounge of a nicer, upscale Japanese restaurant. Although via the economy, I'm down to one or two nights a week from four nights a few years back. The original owner (who passed away in'05} was a huge Jazz fan and wished to maintain Jazz in his fine restaurant. There are nights when I have people applauding after every song I play.....and there are some nights when I get the "ugly" stares from folks wondering just what the Hell I'm doing...? :o

Alan

Timely as I just heard that I am may be replaced by a DJ next year at one of my regular solo gigs. Time marches on I guess.

The busiest, busier than Mr Tee, "cat" I know in San Diego County, told me even DJ's are slowing down, as "folks" are using their iPods to supply their music in certain situations!! And he too, is definitely slowing down.

Who might that be

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Tommy G******* Do you know his reputation?

Of course, I am speaking autobiographically, from my little world view of San Diego. This cat is older than you are, Mr Bobadoshe.. and to the younger guys, perhaps the lions share of the work goes. Can you mention a player from perhaps your generation?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I don't know who that is, I'm asking really out of curiosity as I live down here too. Where does he play? I'd love to go see him.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I don't know who that is, I'm asking really out of curiosity as I live down here too. Where does he play? I'd love to go see him.

Man, I admired this guy for decades. I am not using his last name out of respect for his privacy. He has had a Bill Evans type trio going for many years.

He was the casual king for soooo long.

He is a good sight reader.

Sings very well

Very wide ranging repertoire

I think he is capable of using a drum machine

good left hand bass

Did a lot of synagogue work

He likely did some of the worlds most highly paid club date band work, back in the day ( I did a handful of work with him as well ) Lester Lanin!! You have to know 9 million tunes to play with him... tune after tune. Tommy was great at calling tunes.. he is funny on the mic..

On and on.

He is still working, but likely like the rest of us, a bit less.

Let me look into where he might be playing.. but warning he is like me in that he is a commercial minded guy, not just a musical guy.. he is both.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived