Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing New Orleans style with a metronome...

Theo Verelst

Last week, I was practicing a Professor Longhair song (actually true, from one of as far as I know 2 albums "Crawfish Fiesta", which I have as the only song in HD), and yesterday I was listening to the song again, and try to tap my feet.

I tried some Dr. John songs, dug a bit in my memory and presto: I know for sure you cannot learn New Orleans music with a metronome!

T.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Fess you may need 2 metronones. One for the right hand and one for the left. LOL.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I don't know what Fess means, but I'd think there aren't enough opportunities for those 2 pure rhythms to come together in a good way, so that's a no. But funny.

that was slang for the artists name

actually Nw Orleans playing is about feel, breathing , not structured to a metronome, even solo but with a combo you play off the group, tempo is not locked

just play it Theo...

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

FWIW. If anyone wants to get into New Orleans piano and is having rhythmic challenges from trying to cop the polyrhythm style Fess started you could maybe check out Champion Jack Dupree first. Champion Jack did some cool stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Of course I have an opinion about tapping along with well known N.O. music style: there's dance in there, and there is a need for the players at hand to know to keep a pretty steady rhythm before even trying to play it! Evidently, the pulling forward and backward, and the funky mountains built by combined warm and heavy sounding chord and bass parts use musical wave tuning.

Possibly the great players rhythmically and sound-wise tempo tune and average other signal properties as well, including what the various parts of band sound will favor in the reverberation. Very interesting.

The piano example is good in that it is a rendering of the Tipitina's song, which even in a not so great way isn't easy. Clearly the metronome should at least be replaced with a decent rhythm track, which probably can have stable timing in the sense

of the exact length ( 1/(BPM) ) of one or a few bars, I think.

T.

I think Theo gets it, he's just looking for a clever way to end the sentence. For example . . .

. . . would be like bringing a fishing pole to the desert.

OK, I'm not feeling very clever on 2 hours sleep.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I think Theo gets it, he's just looking for a clever way to end the sentence. For example . . .

. . . would be like bringing a fishing pole to the desert.

OK, I'm not feeling very clever on 2 hours sleep.

http://tienganhphothong.tienganh123.com/file/phothong/on-thi-dai-hoc/on-tap/vocab13/picture/hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

That's just silly.

[video:youtube]ne2qFL1M8oY

My thoughts exactly, though I could never express them so eloquently.

If you can't play it to a metronome, you're probably not doing it right. That said, it doesn't mean you should play it to a metronome.

Wasn't there a metronome thread around here recently?

An interesting approach is to set the metronome to only play 1 beat per measure, leaving the player plenty of room for slipping and sliding around. The point of the metronome should be to make sure the beginning of the song is the same tempo as the end of the song, not to quantize the playing.

Well, you could eat a hamburger every second bar, with atomic clock accuracy. Or not!

Seriously, the idea of syncing with a accurate time regime every now and then is of course eventually even a thing a composer (in this case of a New Orleans piece) could want to decide on, but maybe it's more that a landscape painter isn't the same as a portrait painter. But people only throwing paint at a canvas are probably not abstract artists...

I think playing to a metronome is commonly known as making good sense and a necessary practice method. Learning swing probably isn't enough of an addition to play Prof. Longhair or Ellington, which is exciting, but hard.

T.

Surely metronome applies here as much as to any music with an underlying pulse? Fess/NO piano has a very clear beat underneath all those pulsating polyrhythms and syncopations, and metronome can help internalise that and make it fluent.

As mentioned above, the idea of putting the metronome on fewer beats (as suggested by uncledunc), and Pat Metheny's method of metronome on the offbeat, have helped me improve my time with all sorts of styles.

I'll relink to this

of bassist Victor Wooten on how to use a metronome. Check out his opening objective: "to wean myself off the metronome so that the good time is coming from me".

Cheers, Mike.

I don't play anything like the New Orleans stuff, but as a casual observer, I can't imagine why you couldn't use a metronome in some way, just to keep the tempo steady thru the piece. For instance, while I like to use a metronome in a traditional way for scales, 2 part inventions, etc., I also like to practice stuff like Real book tunes with one. In that case I set the metronome to tap on 2 and 4, which I find helps me keep tempo, but also gives me a bit of room to breathe.

I'm no expert at New Orleans style, other than having tried some Dr. John solo transcriptions, and found them quite difficult. :D (I used to listen to "Night Tripper" in my adolescence!)

I would only say that a little practice with a metronome cannot hurt anybody. After all, we do it with classical music and jazz, and of course that doesn't mean that we have to play with sequencer-like stiffness when we play the tune "musically", without the metronome! It's just a mean to achieve precision and control. Playing along with a record will give you the feel, but a metronome allows to slow it down until it's comfortable, for example.

For New Orleans style, I would use the metronome on 1 and 3 (rather than 2 and 4 as in jazz/swing). To my ears, it has a feel like that.

Preferably get some digital piano that sounds deep, good, and especially, that will escape the pit of timing misery!

Like I was trying out these pretty decent sounds (though far from perfect) which through my studio processing start to "work" IMO, but it's always fighting of "something" in the machinery (PC3 driven by S90 in this case) that interferes with the quite heavily usable sound:

tstblueb.mp3 44.1 1 1/2 min

T

Preferably get some digital piano that sounds deep, good, and especially, that will escape the pit of timing misery!

Like I was trying out these pretty decent sounds (though far from perfect) which through my studio processing start to "work" IMO, but it's always fighting of "something" in the machinery (PC3 driven by S90 in this case) that interferes with the quite heavily usable sound:

tstblueb.mp3 44.1 1 1/2 min

T

Theo is that you playing in that clip?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived