Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing New Orleans style with a metronome...

Theo Verelst

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LearJeff,

I understand, I think everyone is honestly trying to help and I hear you. Not all music is instinctual for everyone, just like straight ahead jazz is not my thing. Could I learn it, sure but it would not come as easy as Soca, Latin, or Reggae for me.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I've listened to several of Theo's clips over time, and actually that's one of the better ones. He's definitely got the idea, but the execution isn't quite there yet.

Someone like Theo should be practicing with a metronome just to improve their general sense of time. Departing into the more elastic timing of New Orleans music only works if you're starting from a solid base, that is, if there's an accurate metronome ticking inside you.

Becoming a better New Orleans style player has been probably my number one musical project over the last few years. It's not easy, it's a very high discipline, which ironically can sound to the casual listener as if it's undisciplined.

Two of my still-living musical heroes are Joe Krown and our own Funkeystuff (Joshua Paxton). At least, last I checked, they were both still living . . .

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Departing into the more elastic timing of New Orleans music only works if you're starting from a solid base, that is, if there's an accurate metronome ticking inside you.

+1 That's the truth right there.

Still working on my internal metronome - by practicing with an external one.

Cheers. Mike.

That is the one thing I always had was a good internal clock. I think I was born with it. Dad was a musician, played guitar bass some keys..... maybe I in herited it. May be why I am so critical with drummers. I have went through 5 drummers in the last 4 years. LOL!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I was born without it, and didn't even know I didn't have one until at age 20 when I got a 4-track recorder. I recorded a piano or guitar track to a tune I (thought I could) play on both, but lo and behold when trying to play along with my recorded track, discovered out that a moron had recorded the first track.

So, I got a metronome and practiced. After decades of practice and playing, I've now reached the point where my timing is what other musicians would call "average". I was delighted to hear that, too.

Even now, when I play with others, I'm fine, but when I record to a click track and look at it in a DAW, I'm dismayed.

No doubt I'd have gotten a lot better a lot faster with more disciplined study.

I think one of the most interesting throwaway lines in this thread has been ignored.

Literally, some musicians are so skilled they can play in two time zones (for a few bars) at the same time. Dick Hyman could. You could apply two metronomes to "prove" his time control.

That aside, if we don't learn from our mistakes, we keep on making them, and then we say "curiosities". Did anyone ever think to put a metronome against a recording by Fess, and see if he played in time?

("Fess": Professor.)

Archived