Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Those jazz standards with chromatic 2 chord vamps?

Jazz+

I am compiling a list of the most well known jazz standards with chromatic moving 2 chord vamps in their verses.

I have these three but then I draw a blank... can you continue the list? The criteria are that chords must last 4 beats each, move back and forth by a half step, and it must be a well known standard:

1) "Well You Needn't" ||: F | Gb :||

2) "A Night In Tunisia" ||: Eb7 | D- :||

3) "Caravan" ||: C7 | Db :||

4) ???

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks. I thought of those but they don't quite fit the criteria. I am guessing it doesn't go beyond those three I listed.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Luck Be a Lady ? What criteria and why??

There is more than one way to harmonize that tune, one of which is the C- Db- C- Db etc approach

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I don't know for sure what you mean by scoring the verse (I suppose that's the beginning for instance) of "Night in Tunesia" by Eb7 - Dm, that's different chords, and also not how I'd play it..

Interesting topic, but maybe some more explanation ?

"Just the two of us"

"Techno" (though that's more chords)

I think there's at least a few songs on "who let the cats out" (Stern)

"Protocol" (Scofield) (that's chromatic but I think has two main chords in the verse)

Maybe "Tutu" fits the description, if you don't count the frivolous addition chords

Some Prof. Longhair songs may count, but I'd need to check (I just checked "Her mind is gone", has the principle, but surely is more complicated)

"1999" if that's jazz-funk enough

Maybe Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers "Pensativa" (doesn't completely fit the bill, but has those types of chord vamps in it)

Doesn't "Girl from Ipanima" have such patterns?

"Vulcan" (Corea)

T.

On Piano World someone posted "Speak no evil". That's a really good one. Not really a vamp, but the Cm11 to Db Ma7 b5 happens often enough in the A sections to feel like a vamp. And then at the end of the A section you have the A7b5 to Bbm11 for 4 bars..

And then the Major 3rd movement of Em11 to Cm11..then down a step to Dm11 to Bbm11. Brillant writing and fun to blow on.

Such a great tune as so many of his typically are. :cool:

Ever notice how the movement of Bm7 to C7+11 (or C Maj7b5) takes on a completely different character (both visually and aurally) then the more commonly played Dm7 to Eb7+11 (or Eb Maj7 b5) ?

Dave, are you thinking of a particular tune?

Ever notice how the movement of Bm7 to C7+11 (or C Maj7b5) takes on a completely different character (both visually and aurally) then the more commonly played Dm7 to Eb7+11 (or Eb Maj7 b5) ?

Dave, are you thinking of a particular tune?

I guess I am. Maybe several tunes. Cedar Walton uses that movement twice in "Boliva' and again in "Ugetsu" (or Fantasy in D ) I play those tunes fairly often at the school, so I deal with it on a pretty regular basis.

I wrote a tune a long time ago, the "Quiet one", that I really don't play too often anymore with that movement.

I guess my point is..at least in my case, I deal with or play things differently when I see those type of changes in another key then the more popular Dm. Where you see it obviously on the popular "Tunsia", and the lesser played Shorter's "Black Nile".

Another case in point-the chromatic dominant 7th chords Ab7 to A7 in the middle of "Windows". Another place that can trip me up if I haven't played it in some time.

Another tune that we've played at the school for years that you rarely hear played. Horace Silver's "Gregory is here". the A section is B7+11 to Cm11.

[video:youtube]

Pat Metheny has a tune with the same movement. "It's just talk".

Airegin - Sonny Rollins [Fm7] [Gb7]

Dave you could start a thread on Wayne Shorter. There's so much to his music. I'm still studying on how to play a decent solo on his more challenging compositions.

You and me both..like a lifetime study !! :laugh:

Airegin's a really good one ! In the Fm mode also Kenny Barron's "Voyage" , one of my all time favorites, with his Fm Maj7 to F# m Maj7

Yes we should do a thread on Wayne's tunes. I play at a handful of them. Always have to practice them a lot to make something out of them.

Spain ? ||: E - F - G-F-E :||

Hi Brad. I think you might have that confused with La Fiesta maybe ? The blowing changes to Spain are a chromatic thing in the first few bars, but a G Maj7 to F#7 b9. It's been awhile since I played it but I think those are the changes to La Fiesta if I'm not mistaken.

People occasionally call that Stevie tune-"I can't help it"- on gigs. I know it from a long time ago of course but have to always read it. Great tune .

Dave Ferris Nice insight about duplicate chords in different keys, inspiring different solo. Do you have any idea WHY?

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Usually one would think those types of 2 chord vamp ideas somehow concentrate on the not- and singly- lowered 7 in some chord constellation, unless it's a main unique jazz idea like "Well you needn't".

I didn't feel like resisting to mention "You can't get what you want (till you know what you want)" (J. Jackson), which has a EbM7/Dm vamp, and I played it regularly and with pleasure in the 90s.

Since I got the classic "Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers" in wonderful 96kHz/24bit High Definition I thought of the idea of not so much vamping, but more "Doodlin'":

pc3mycjagrv_2chva.mp3

(Short recording of mine today, PC3 + some Lexicon (digi coupled), no sequencing, no processing, no additional sound sources, no editing, 44.1 ste mp3 256kbps, live recorded with computers' AD conv)

I am looking for fast chromatic two chord vamp verses a la 'Caravan', 'A Night In Tunisia' and 'Well You Needn't'.... I really don't think the list goes beyond those three.

Yes! Thanks everybody, Black Nile is especially appropriate for what I'm after. Burning 2 chord vampers

Since you are so into harmony... try this take a tune that has a lot of I vi ii V in it and reharmonize it to I .. iib ... I .. iib etc. I takes the place of both I and vi and iib takes the place of ii and V . It might take some melodic alteration, but it would expand your MELODIC possibilities .

Ah yes, I have done that for years. Good tip. I call it the "Bud Powell vamp", it's like Caravan ... Caravan is so great.

Archived