Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Been on a huge Guaraldi kick recently

It just sort fits right into that nice little warm part of your soul and makes it a little bit bigger for a while, yaknow? Any idea where I could find some transcriptions/sheet music? I feel like a lot of what he does is within my grasp technically (with a heck of a lot of work to get it down, of course), and a lot of what he's doing is just over my head harmonically, its really tough to pick out the exact chords for me... Its just such beautiful stuff that I want to know how to do it though.

Anyways, here's some tunes to make your day a little better.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vince is definitely one of my favorite jazz pianists. My love of jazz was definitely influenced by listening to his music growing up.

Any idea where I could find some transcriptions/sheet music?

I have these two books: The Vince Guaraldi Collection and The Peanuts Illustrated Song Book.

The former is has full transcriptions, the latter is more arranged for solo piano, though some of the tunes are pretty darn close to straight-up transcriptions too. If you can only get one, get the Vince Guaraldi Collection.

Any suggestions ( this is a bit lame for a guy who passes himself off as a competent pro !!) for how i can play Vince Guaraldi's famous theme song Linus and Lucy? The independent lines in the opening section are giving me a headache.

Then there is the next section with the IV chord to V chord , easy enough, but the tricky blusey fill he plays, needs special attention. Vince made it sound easy... ha ha. I heard another famous solo pianist, who will remain nameless, who hacked the hell out of this tune. So it is more difficult than meets the.. aaa meets the ear.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Any suggestions ( this is a bit lame for a guy who passes himself off as a competent pro !!) for how i can play Vince Guaraldi's famous theme song Linus and Lucy? The independent lines in the opening section are giving me a headache.

Honestly, I find the opening of the song to be the easiest part. I can't play it without reading (was never able to memorize much) and still cannot play this song without mistakes. I bought the sheet music years ago. Suggest you do the same. Practice, practice, practice, as the saying goes. Good luck. It's a crowd pleaser.

:nopity:

Thank you Doc Franken.. I mean doerflerstein.

Re Linus and Lucy: first is bass part.. then the overlapping right hand part.. that is where independence is needed. I guess I need to see the two parts clearly on music staves.

This cat can really play.. great touch on the piano.. and I don't know the technical name for it, but when he plays those fast seconds and chromatique thirds, he does it so flawlessly . I mentioned this in the Linus and Lucy tune after the IV chord to V chord he plays that bluesy lick flawlessly.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I've been working on Linus and Lucy for 4 months now! To me in the "A" section it's not really about independence, but more about where the left and right hand hit together. The left hand leaps in the "B" section have been kicking my butt for a while now, and I've had to bag the 10th that happens a couple times in the left hand on the C7 chord, as it was really bogging me down, so I transposed the low C up an octave. I'm just now getting to where I feel ok performing it on my piano bar gig, and it really goes over well!

I've been enjoying these two albums:

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mCA-2T5sS9CZ6TRFV74ZLcQ.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Bl8HSc34CnQ/T3SMkONslsI/AAAAAAAAAJA/uUuqESsqD5k/s320/1963-143.Jazz%2BImpression%2BOf%2BBlack%2BOrpheus%2B-%2BVINCE%2BGUARALDI.jpg

Hey, on a related question.....do any of you guys playing this alter the left hand on that "B" section? To me after the strong rhythmic left hand thing in the opener the "B" section (where it goes Eb/Eb/Db/Db/C7/Db/Eb.....etc) sounds a bit thin to me as written, at least playing it solo....
I never had problems playing first part. I'd like to know how to play ending. It's like a harmonized arpeggio at a fast tempo

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

It just sort fits right into that nice little warm part of your soul and makes it a little bit bigger for a while, yaknow? Any idea where I could find some transcriptions/sheet music? I feel like a lot of what he does is within my grasp technically (with a heck of a lot of work to get it down, of course), and a lot of what he's doing is just over my head harmonically, its really tough to pick out the exact chords for me... Its just such beautiful stuff that I want to know how to do it though.

Spotlight Music in Fort Collins either has some Vince Guaraldi books and sheet music in stock, or they can order it in / download and print for a fee. They also have some piano / keys teachers on staff that can help you out.... :poke::laugh:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Vince Guaraldi was a hip cat playing phat chords back in the 1950s. :thu:

I dig the "Peanuts" aka Charlie Brown solely for VG's music.

"Christmas Time is Here" will always be one of my favorite tunes. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I never had problems playing first part. I'd like to know how to play ending. It's like a harmonized arpeggio at a fast tempo

I think it's just the [C-Ab] [Eb-Bb] [Ab-C] pattern played in consecutive octaves. (let me know if you don't know what I mean)

It is indeed awkward to discuss music in such detail in a forum setting. My question for you is. Does sheet music accurately reflect what you hear Vince playing? Sometimes sheetmusic is either inaccurate, and or simplified!

With all due respect to you GrimReaper and to the artistry of G Winston.. I listened to Mr Winston's version of Linus and Lucy, and felt he should stick with his forte, not play jazz too much! Sorry about that.

It just sort fits right into that nice little warm part of your soul and makes it a little bit bigger for a while, yaknow?

I know. I've had this same addiction too. :)

In another thread about music that would be appreciated in restaurants, I mentioned playing music from other jazz pianists. I also mentioned TV themes. This fits the bill on both counts.

On that topic, this style reminds me of 1960s and what I call Martini Music. Jobim is certainly at the top of this list. (Brubeck, Ramsey Lewis, and Bacharach/David are there too.)

Yeah. There are specific flourishes that Mr. Guaraldi uses and are common through many of his tunes.

I'm a fan. :thu:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

It is indeed awkward to discuss music in such detail in a forum setting. My question for you is. Does sheet music accurately reflect what you hear Vince playing? Sometimes sheetmusic is either inaccurate, and or simplified!

The sheet music I have shows the right hand that he's playing note for note. It's hard to tell on the left hand, but he's also got a bass player.....

• 5 years later...

Bump.

So, I caught an old episode of South Park where they ended it with O Tannenbaum (definitely seems like Guaraldi's arrangement) but for the life of me I can't find the exact recording. It's not the same as the official recording on all the albums/reissues. It's better!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Am8EOmHmNWl_iopBTTkqaknluKPaPA

Any help identifying it would be great.

[align:right]##

##[/align]

It's from A Charlie Brown Christmas:

Probably my favourite arrangement ever of that song.

Don't forget, Guaraldi has a lot of out-of-print recordings -- especially live dates, many of which were solo.

Nevertheless, the tiny portion of the song in the South Park video sounds the same to me as the solo piano intro from the Charlie Brown special, which also sounds like a separate session to me than when the full trio comes in a bit later in the song.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

That's the thing, it's not the same :( and even when the trio comes in the chords are different!

Probably my favourite arrangement ever of that song.

Yep. That and a handful of other Guaraldi arrangements for me. Such a treasure.

[align:right]##

##[/align]

Playing at a restautant I got a request from kids to play the Mr Rogers theme Beautiful day in the neighborhood. But after playing that simple melody, couldn't remember where it went.

Listened to Guaraldi and he took it all over the place.

The posted South Park video only played for 10 seconds on my computer. Was there more to it?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I don't know if his Wiki page can be trusted to be complete:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Guaraldi

Any live-on-the-radio dates are not going to show up there.

As far as I know, there have been no reissues that include alternate takes, but I bought my collection back in the 90's.

There's also Discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/258298-Vince-Guaraldi

And if you have the patience to scroll through all 28 pages, Amazon might have another rendition that may match:

https://www.amazon.com/Vince-Guaraldi/e/B000APHTIQ

Like I said though, from the 10 seconds I heard of the South Park clip, it sounded to me like the solo piano intro from the original recording. But I was listening at low volume, late at night.

I actually grew up with his kids and knew Vince. Watched him practicing. Know quite a bit about him personally.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

That's cool. He was San Francisco based for much of his career as I recall. He died so young; at 46 years old, in between sets.