Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joining a New Band (maybe)......What questions to ask?

Nu2Keys

If there is a girl in the band, try this. Approach her straight away with proposal for a date. Here are the questions you ought ask her

1. ARE you a girl?

2. Have you ALWAYS been a girl?

if not, move on to number 3

3. Can you keep a secret?

I find this breaks the ice real quick like. and you will soon know whether it's going to work out with said band and girl... unless of course she is.. how you say, coyote ugly!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After three decades of gigging with various bands, the first thing I look for when I audition a band is personalities. If you don't get along, it doesn't matter how talented you are.

The second thing I look for is egos or lack of social skills. Especially guitar players who play loud all the time, using one spectrum-smothering high-gain overdrive tone all the time, with zero respect for the meaning of "space", cop the keyboard solo on guitar, any of the above. There seem to be twice as many egotistical guitar players as there are singers.

I own a really nice PA system. When auditioning a band I say nothing about my PA. I want my piano skills to sell me, not my gear.

The next thing I watch for is load sharing. Without roadies, I expect everybody to help with load in/out. In my current band, we are using my PA and their monitor system. They use their van to transport the PA, they cart my cabinets in/out, help to hook them up, and they store my PA cabinets between gigs. I wire the console and outboard and run the system. We all pitch in. If I had to do everything, I would negotiate a higher cut for my effort and investment.

Then, and ONLY THEN, do I examine their musical skills and common interests...

Indeed. I'm accounting for internal band dynamics as well as potential stage presence issues with my tips. Not to mention, I've been in auditioning situations where half the band didn't really want to add keys...I'll pass on the uphill battle.

... Do they greet you? Do some members not greet or introduce themselves to you? Are they remotely conversational?...

That may sound a little strange, but I have been to several auditions where only one or two of the members were remotely conversational or outwardly friendly. Turned down the gigs. In each case I later got to see parts of performances and they acted the same on stage: no presence at all. I'll only play with people I like (as long as I can afford to turn down something else...)

Mark

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions, guy! I'm making quite a nice list of important questions from your ideas!

.....It would be nice to know if the other players any verifiable band history.

+1

I almost joined an all-original band composed of very talented musicians, some of whom were well-established in the Chicago area. After our first rehearsal, I really liked our "product" but found myself questioning the commitment of the female bass player/background singer, who was a big part of the sound. She "said all of the right things" but I still had this unsure feeling in my gut. I ended up not joining the project and sure enough, found out she left about a month later. So it may be a good idea to get a feel for whether the musicians have demonstrated a history of participating in relatively longer-term projects or have jumped around from band to band. Of course, this information may also be predictive of their ability to get along with others and other "reliability" issues.

But what if, by your not joining that band, the girl bass player got cold feet and ended up quitting for that reason? Maybe she saw you as a possible great improvement to the band and when you didn't join, she didn't want to hang, either?

Every situation is going to be unique depending on your goals and the type of project. Without that knowledge, specific questions are going to be more focused on other people's situations that on yours. But there are some general things to consider, and you can come up with your own questions to get the appropriate information.

1) How closely aligned are the band's goals and expectations with your own? This can involve gigging frequency (min/max, now and future), practice frequency, roles, responsibilities, gear, pay, etc.

2) What is the band culture and will you fit in comfortably. Every band has a culture. This includes all of the personalities of individual members, how they interact, what's permitted vs frowned upon, how things are handled, etc.

3) What are the Standard Operating Procedures? This includes methods of communication, scheduling, who's calling the shots, roles/responsibilities within the band....the day to day business of how the band operates We practice on Tuesdays. Bill cuts the checks to everybody. John makes the set lists. We practice at Bob's house unless it's a full moon. Whatever.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Has it really gotten this legalistic corporate in today's world.. Shite,,, not for me.

No wonder the music sounds like it does, including pitch correction , metronome dependency air brushing, bs videos! Hi I am Tee, I am a confirmed grouchy old guy.. ha ha

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Has it really gotten this legalistic corporate in today's world..

No, just trying to summarize in a clear, more general way, what everybody else was getting at with a bunch of random specific questions that may or may not apply to his situation. Nothing legalistic or corporate about wanting to know what you're getting into before you make a commitment.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I think we're putting the cart before the horse. Before we know what questions to ask, we need to know what YOUR goals are. That drives the questions. Of course, a lot of questions above apply no matter what (i.e., does the drummer suck? but that's not a question to ask, that's a judgment to make.)

So, help us help you, what kind of gig are you looking for? Are you a hobbyist with an unrelated career (like me) or are you looking for music to be your main gig? Do you want a few gigs a month or gig as much as possible? Does how much the gig pay matter to you? Do you expect to schlep your own gear, or do you expect to take advantage of a band van?

Most importantly, what do you want out of this?

Also,hHow much risk are you willing to take? For example, as a hobbyist, if I didn't have any other band going, I'd be willing to risk a total dud if the vibes were good with the music. I'd only be risking my time, and since I usually enjoy practice, that's not a big risk. But if I had a lot of other good alternatives lined up, then I'd be risking another good opportunity to take this one. If music was an important income source to me, time spent on a project that never hits would be time wasted.

I know you've shared your situation with us before, but I confess I'm not good at remembering the back story for every board member. I'm doing well when I can remember my own, frankly.

I'm too old and all of those things I put in that list are things I have experienced even though some are funny. So I don't agree,

I'm trying to figure out what I said that you don't agree with. Nothing you say contradicts anything I said above. Your questions work for you. They don't work for everyone.

But just for fun, taking your questions:

1. DO they have members with bad addictions
Important point, but can you trust the answer? Never hurts to aks, though.

2. Is there more than one guitarist
I've played in bands with two guitarists and loved it. It's a matter of having the right two guitarists.

3. Do any of the members have sustainable lifestyles outside of music
That's important for me, because I don't wanna play pro. For some kinds of projects, it doesn't work to mix pros and amateurs. But for others, it can.

4. Do they use music stands on stage
Some great horn sections use stands.

5. Does the drummer suck, tempo problems?
This is a judgement, not a question. Don't bother asking.

6. Do they respond to e-mails or texts
Good point. Not a question you ask, but something you can figure out pretty quickly in the normal course of events.

7. Any of them done jail time
David Crosby includes this question. I think he's required to by his probation officer. ;-)

8. Do they argue of pay at the end of the night
How do you figure that out before joining, other than to go see them and hang out after the gig is over? (Maybe offer to help load up?) The question here is "How is pay handled?" and expect a straightforward answer.

9. Do they all help in with load in and load outs
Yeah, that's a good question for a keyboard player or drummer to ask!

10.How many bands do the other members play in besides this project?
What's the correct answer? It depends on your goals.

... Do they greet you? Do some members not greet or introduce themselves to you? Are they remotely conversational?...

That may sound a little strange, but I have been to several auditions where only one or two of the members were remotely conversational or outwardly friendly. Turned down the gigs. I'll only play with people I like (as long as I can afford to turn down something else...)

+1

Nothing worse than the cold shoulder, or worse... a grouchy band member.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

That may sound a little strange, but I have been to several auditions where only one or two of the members were remotely conversational or outwardly friendly. Turned down the gigs. I'll only play with people I like (as long as I can afford to turn down something else...)

+1

The No.1 reason why bands fold one after the other right here.

Music is about friendship.

And it's awesome when you see great comradery on stage.

Brett

JustDead[/b]]
Has it really gotten this legalistic corporate in today's world..

No, just trying to summarize in a clear, more general way, what everybody else was getting at with a bunch of random specific questions that may or may not apply to his situation. Nothing legalistic or corporate about wanting to know what you're getting into before you make a commitment.

If you don't know it... I have large respect for you... no, I do not have equal respect for all humanities opinions.. absolutely not.. a person has to display knowledge first. I have equal respect for all peoples humanity. yes.. but not their knowledge, integrity, experience, ability to express that knowledge. You, JustDan, have a lot of the above. So no disrespect to you.

My approach to bands has perhaps too much feeling in it, and not as much intellectuality in it. I just go with my gut so to speak.

As far as commitment to a band.. downstream a month in, and not feeling cool with money, and we depart.

Simplistic? Eerie? Ghoulish? Macabre? CREEPY!!!? perhaps :wave:

There are a lot of different kinds of bands and reasons for joining bands - I've been in several different types. I intended my summary to be all-encompassing....including your reasons. For instance, everything you listed as determining factors falls into my first point about making sure their goals and expectations meet yours - which may be the goal of playing with a bunch of guys you like and having fun, and the expectation that you'll hit it off and respect each other. If that's your goal and your expectation, but the band's goal is to make as much money as possible in any way possible, and expectation is that you'll do what you're told or be fired, then it's not a good match. Some people join bands soley to make the mortgage payment and feed the kids - so that scenario may play out differently.

The whole point of everything I posted is focussed on making sure you know what you're getting into and that it's a good match.

Dan

The one question everyone has avoided so far is:

How often does the cowbellist get to solo?

:taz:

LOL, last Saturday night we got all out of whack in the set list because the Drummer was overly eager to jump to the cowbell at the beginning of Honkey Tonk Women and skipped a song. Threw us all off.

Dan

The one question everyone has avoided so far is:

How often does the cowbellist get to solo?

:taz:

LOL, last Saturday night we got all out of whack in the set list because the Drummer was overly eager to jump to the cowbell at the beginning of Honkey Tonk Women and skipped a song. Threw us all off.

That suggests something going on in your band that arouses intense curiosity. Why would changing order of set list do such a thing?

Not for very long....just the brief "huh? What's HE playing." Since everybody was ready toplay Let's Go, by the Cars, which doesn't start with cowbell. Then followed by the inquisitive looks at each other at the end of Honkey Tonk Woman trying to figure out if we were going BACK to"Let's Go", or if it was purposely skipped for some reason.... No big deal...just a littel confusion and looking around shrugging shoulders trying to figure out what was coming next. Nobody but us probably knew anything was up.

Dan

+1

I diasgree with this, or at least think this warrants clarification. If you are auditioning in a band or even if you're a 'new member' already in the band, I wouldn't expect hearty handshakes and welcoming smiles all at once. You'd love it if everyone could be chummy right away but that's not really how life is in general, and a band situation is no different. I've been in plenty of new band scenarios where a couple members weren't overly friendly to me. They weren't discourteous but when I introduced myself w/ a handshake I might have gotten a one word name back at me and that was that. That is until I played everything well and showed that I could match their ebb and flow and vibe both socially and musically. Sometimes it takes people awhile to come out of their shells.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Hard to put into words, but there's a lot that goes on between conversational and cold shoulder. More of a feeling and your instincts. Eye contact says more to me than a word or two. You can tell if someone is quiet because they take a little to warm up to someone new, or if they are just not interested in meeting/auditioning/getting to know you.

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

Are there THAT many bands ( WITH WORK ) out there, that we can afford to be this picky, sensitive, or filthy rich? Or is it that most here, have a day job? Just wonderin... cause unless I am dealing with the Crew of Mr Blond, Mr Pink etc

I would take the audition already ! [video:youtube]

I met a guy last night about a band. He is not from the immediate local area and doesn't really know many people around here.

He had a lot of questions for me. It made me realize that I am a really boring person. Outside of playing music and my day job I don't do a Hell of a lot. LOL!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Are there THAT many bands ( WITH WORK ) out there, that we can afford to be this picky, sensitive, or filthy rich? Or is it that most here, have a day job? Just wonderin... cause unless I am dealing with the Crew of Mr Blond, Mr Pink etc

I would take the audition already !

It depends on your priorities. If this is your living, the initial posted reply of "how much does the gig pay?" might be enough (and the way that question is answered can be very telling). For those of whom this is a hobby or not the primary source of income, the other questions can matter a lot.

Here's another way of looking at it. The subject line of the thread says, "Joining a New Band." Joining a band is different than taking a gig with one.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Are there THAT many bands ( WITH WORK ) out there, that we can afford to be this picky, sensitive, or filthy rich? Or is it that most here, have a day job?
Pros can't afford NOT to be picky. It'd be a complete waste of their time to join a hobby band that practices 3 times a week for 2 years before the first gig, and never plans to play more than the local small venues.

For us amateurs, we'd usually only be wasting time if it's a bad fit, but it still pays to get a good assessment beforehand.

Tony's 3 points hit the nail on the head, pretty much regardless of one's situation.

1) If the band's goals aren't harmonious with yours, then there's no point.

2) Culture: If you don't fit in, it's a tough row to hoe. Of course, there's a lot of lattitude here, and it's up to you to decide how much. And this is definitely a "vibes appropriate" issue. (Of course, this isn't a question you ask; it's just something you pay attention to during the audition.)

3) Asking what SOPs are tells you a lot with a simple question. If they practice on Thursdays but that's your bowling night, are you gonna give up the team or ask them to change? You find out a lot about how pro they are, too. Whether that's important to you is up to you.

The point about these questions is unlike a lot of those proposed above, they don't assume any specific answers: it's up to you to evaluate depending on your situation and goals.

Regarding culture, I had a friend (singer) forming a new band long ago, and she wanted a zydeco/cajun accordion player, and advertised for accordion player. She had a good bass player and guitarist lined up already, also friends & housemates of mine. Everyone late 20's to mid 30's. One man showed up for auditions, about 70 years old, undecipherable foreign accent, had no idea what zydeco and cajun were, but Rebecca is a "let's go for it" type so they tried him out. The guys were laughing about it later, how Rebecca tried to inspire him to dig deep and him looking at her like she was from Mars. Needless to say, it didn't work out, but I liked Reb's attitude to give it a serious try without being hampered by preconceptions -- at least for the audition.

The culture doesn't have to be the same, it just has to be compatible. Sometimes great things can happen by mixing people from completely different arenas.

That said, I'm unlikely to join a Steppenwolf tribute band where the band rides between gigs on Harleys. But I'd be happy to sub once in a while, for a hoot! As long as no tattoos are required.

Context is paramount with what I said. If I'm auditioning to play keys for John Williams in his next Steven Spielberg film...I don't anticipate a hug. If however, I'm auditioning for some local band playing at bars and clubs, what I said stands. ;-)

+1

I diasgree with this, or at least think this warrants clarification. If you are auditioning in a band or even if you're a 'new member' already in the band, I wouldn't expect hearty handshakes and welcoming smiles all at once. You'd love it if everyone could be chummy right away but that's not really how life is in general, and a band situation is no different. I've been in plenty of new band scenarios where a couple members weren't overly friendly to me. They weren't discourteous but when I introduced myself w/ a handshake I might have gotten a one word name back at me and that was that. That is until I played everything well and showed that I could match their ebb and flow and vibe both socially and musically. Sometimes it takes people awhile to come out of their shells.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I would take the audition already !

It depends on your priorities. If this is your living, the initial posted reply of "how much does the gig pay?" might be enough (and the way that question is answered can be very telling). For those of whom this is a hobby or not the primary source of income, the other questions can matter a lot.

Here's another way of looking at it. The subject line of the thread says, "Joining a New Band." Joining a band is different than taking a gig with one.

That is basically what I want to know.

1) What the gig pays.

2) Copy of the schedule. (i.e. How many times I getting paid)

3) Setlist. ( What I have to learn to get paid )

+1

Oh there are worse things....... much worse. But working with a grouchy bastard isn't much fun. :)

Since all that has transpired is a casual inquiry, not even an invitation to jam or try out, maybe it's too early for 20 questions. I would be put off if someone started interrogating me about my band at such a preliminary stage. How about just ask to hear some recordings so you know whether you should even be interested.

There's a lot of good suggestions for questions in this thread, but some of them can probably wait until after you've played with them. Keep in mind that you aren't necessarily stuck with the way things are. If they value you, they might be willing to change for you.

Also keep in mind that different band members describing a band can sometimes be like blind men describing an elephant. Their perspectives might be very different.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Archived